• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help HTC Aria Questions

Hello Forum

I am new to Droid Phones and bought the HTC Aria a couple of Days. Besides the fact that the Display is Glas and the Fact that AT&T Blocks almost everything that makes fun everything is okay with the Phone.

Well, the usual Problems like Battery and missing Apps... But ok.

Anyways I do have three Questions for you , I keep googeling since days without any luck so maybe you can answer them.

1. There is an unlock pattern in the Security Settings. But there is no way to protect the phone with a PIN, at least I did not find any solution yet. Is there a way to protect the Phone with a Pin instead of an unlock pattern?

2. My Company allows me to accsess the Wi-Fi Network, but unfortunatly only with a Proxy Server. I am googeling this since i have the phone, but the results given always tells me to root the phone. I don't want to voice the warranty so i don't want to root the device. Is there any way to accsess a .pac adress in order to get the proxy settings for mail, internet and meebo?

3. I have Version 2.1 of the Operation System. I read that there is a Frodo System 2.2 out on the Market. Anybody knows when this will be available to update on the AT&T Aria?
I am sure I will have a couple of Questions more to come, i.e. why there is no Justin.tv View app :D but I would be really happy if somebody could answer the questions that I have now.

Thanks for the attention paied to this beginner questions and the hopefully good and productive answers

Kind Regards
Miamihunter

3. I have Version 2.1 of the Operation System. I read that there is a Frodo System 2.2 out on the Market. Anybody knows when this will be available to update on the AT&T Aria?

This is already done and will probably let you do all the things you desire with the phone. However, this move requires you to root the phone. So in essence, you can not achieve what you desire with in the scope of your will.

If you want to lay aside your fear of root then you can install CM6 from this thread http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=737213 which is a Froyo 2.2 rom.
Of course you will have to root your phone with this utility http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=710677

Upvote 0
This is already done and will probably let you do all the things you desire with the phone. However, this move requires you to root the phone. So in essence, you can not achieve what you desire with in the scope of your will.

Hello Anika

Thanks for the Quick Reply. If i root my Phone that means once there is a issue with it, my waranty is gone or?

Kind Regards
Frank

Upvote 0
Ok...

I heard that people rooted they're phone and it did not work after that. So they called HTC/AT&T and they denied anything due to the fact that they rooted the phone.

So my fear is, once i try to root the phone (and i am a total idiot in those things) and something goes wrong, i could have thrown the money for the phone also out of my apt. window.

You know what i want to say?

Upvote 0
1. The PIN feature is added with the Froyo update.

2. I know nothing about wifi and networks, so can't help you there.

3. If you don't plan on rooting, the official update is coming by the end of the year (I would guess October sometime, unless ATT screws it up)

I've heard that if you just have a hardware issue, HTC will honor your warranty as long as you don't admit you're rooted (just a rumor though).

Upvote 0
On the company wifi issue, you have to root the phone then edit the file /data/misc/wifi/wpa_supplicant.conf. I don't know of any other way. If you decide to do it this is what you need to add to that file:

network={
ssid="Your_comapy_ssid"
scan_ssid=1
key_mgmt=IEEE8021X
group=WEP104 WEP40
auth_alg=OPEN SHARED
eap=PEAP
identity="your_userid"
password="your_password"
phase1="peapver=0"
phase2="auth=MSCHAPV2"
priority=2
}

Each time you connected to a wife, there is a new network={} in the file and the priority number is the next number. Only draw back is everytime you need to change your ad password, you need to update this file.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones