• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help HTC Backup failure

HenryKrinkle

May 25, 2010
I think it may have begun after Lollipop (or at least started to notice it) but I cannot the "HTC Backup" app to work. I did a clean install when Lollipop came out for other reasons so that shouldn't be a cause. The error message I get is: "htc backup service cannot be reached at this time". I've tried backing up to both Google and Dropbox and get the same error.

Anyone else experience this?

HTC M8 on Verizon.

Thanks.

I think it may have begun after Lollipop (or at least started to notice it) but I cannot the "HTC Backup" app to work. I did a clean install when Lollipop came out for other reasons so that shouldn't be a cause. The error message I get is: "htc backup service cannot be reached at this time". I've tried backing up to both Google and Dropbox and get the same error.

Anyone else experience this?

HTC M8 on Verizon.

Thanks.

I've noticed the same issue on my M7. Although, I know it's not because of Lollipop, as HTC Backup would successfully finish often, long after I'd updated to 5.0.2. My issue started around 3/17-3/18 onward. It would usually get to anywhere between 78-89% and then stop and give me the same error you're receiving. I tried switching backup service locations, and now it stops with an error right after I click 'back up now". I feel like this is related to a recent HTC update, such as an HTC Service Pack update or the recently released Facebook plug-in that allows HTC Sense to access your Fb account again, after some changes Fb made. Or, it might be from a recent Google Play Services update, as I know a lot of updates for that have been releasing over the past month. Just wish I knew how to fix it, because it's so annoying!

Reactions: HenryKrinkle
Upvote 0
Hi there, hope this is the right thread - closest I could find. I recently had a speaker problem with HTC One M8 and was advised to do a factory reset by Telstra staff member. I did a backup to computer (not Dropbox) which appeared to work okay. After doing reset, went to restore (using HTC Sync) and it tells me there is no record of a backup. This means all messages, contacts, etc have disappeared. Is there any way to find where the backup went?

Replaced iPhone with HTC because I hated iTunes software and now it appears HTC Sync is almost as bad. Disappointed!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones