• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HTC Built in Task Manager!

Sauske

Android Enthusiast
Mar 26, 2011
Orlando, Fl
I was wondering how effective their task manager will be. Talks that Task Killer and Advanced Task killer will do more harm than good! Gingerbread has a built in, rather an optimize task killer that runs and there will be no need for anything. So how will the two work hand-and-hand!? And can you turn HTC task killer off?

YouTube - CTIA 2011: Sprint HTC EVO 3D Hands-On Demo

@18:27 she talks about the built in task manager by HTC.

good to know, but I want battery life though.

so..you think task killers/managers will help you extend battery life?

if so.. it is in your head!.. drop that idea.. and drop the 3rd party task killers. only use the built in app managers to kill misbehaving apps. you battery should be just fine.

i suggest you do a little more research into android and why it is different in the aspects to "free memory"

Upvote 0
so..you think task killers/managers will help you extend battery life?

if so.. it is in your head!.. drop that idea.. and drop the 3rd party task killers. only use the built in app managers to kill misbehaving apps. you battery should be just fine.

i suggest you do a little more research into android and why it is different in the aspects to "free memory"

why would i do research, lol? I just want to be able to use my phone and have a long lasting battery out of the box. I'm a consumer not an android geek. When I had a blackberry I didn't have to worry about apps still running. When I look at a task manager in android there are so many apps running in the background. I don't think I need to do research to realize that if something is running, even in the background it's using energy. Now if 'free memory' allows for battery perservation I'm all for it. I would prefer not to have to actively close apps to tell you the truth.

Reactions: thefley
Upvote 0
why would i do research, lol? I just want to be able to use my phone and have a long lasting battery out of the box. I'm a consumer not an android geek. When I had a blackberry I didn't have to worry about apps still running. When I look at a task manager in android there are so many apps running in the background. I don't think I need to do research to realize that if something is running, even in the background it's using energy. Now if 'free memory' allows for battery perservation I'm all for it. I would prefer not to have to actively close apps to tell you the truth.

LOL.. wow.. tried to give you some advice.

my last try.
if you are running froyo...
then just uninstall the task killer.
forget about apps in background: they dont use up resources.
just use the phone and forget about needed free memory.
it may even up your battery life.

android / linux ... is very different from your other OS in the past.. on how it handles memory.

but you can ignore my post if u wish..

Upvote 0
LOL, Dan you have to repeat this everyday to everyone. I don't have a problem with my battery. People expect a phone to last 3 times as long as a laptop off of one charge and with a smaller battery. Is it just me or did everyone skip science class and how batteries operate.

Someone asked in another thread why his phone was draining on a call. I said he needed to turn off 4G and this wasn't acceptable to him. He was using a Thunderbolt.

Froyo already has a task manager to force close an app. Think I have had to use it once because my browser kept hanging up.

If people want more battery power juice then plug the phone into an outlet like you do your laptop. That's what I do as my laptop sits dusty in the corner.

Upvote 0
LOL, Dan you have to repeat this everyday to everyone. I don't have a problem with my battery. People expect a phone to last 3 times as long as a laptop off of one charge and with a smaller battery. Is it just me or did everyone skip science class and how batteries operate.

Someone asked in another thread why his phone was draining on a call. I said he needed to turn off 4G and this wasn't acceptable to him. He was using a Thunderbolt.

Froyo already has a task manager to force close an app. Think I have had to use it once because my browser kept hanging up.

If people want more battery power juice then plug the phone into an outlet like you do your laptop. That's what I do as my laptop sits dusty in the corner.

People are stuck in the way of the old Wind0ze. I've never used a task killer on Android. And I have never even used the built in one. Leave the Task Killer alone and your battery will last longer!

Upvote 0
LOL.. wow.. tried to give you some advice.

my last try.
if you are running froyo...
then just uninstall the task killer.
forget about apps in background: they dont use up resources.
just use the phone and forget about needed free memory.
it may even up your battery life.

android / linux ... is very different from your other OS in the past.. on how it handles memory.

but you can ignore my post if u wish..

No one is ignoring you and if you are trying to help me, thank you very much. its over my head at the moment, though. I can sit my phone down with no apps active, screen off and no use for maybe 2 hours and my battery will be 50-75%. Something is draining it.

Upvote 0
No one is ignoring you and if you are trying to help me, thank you very much. its over my head at the moment, though. I can sit my phone down with no apps active, screen off and no use for maybe 2 hours and my battery will be 50-75%. Something is draining it.

Um, I surfed the net off the stock battery for 4 hours straight on my EVO. With a 1750 mah battery it takes about 6 hours. Your usage and battery drainage depends upon the user and what you are doing with your device.

I'm sorry but if my laptop can only last for 2 hours on one charge but your cell phone can go for 4 hours on a smaller battery I think that's a win-win. If not, buy a bigger battery.

Upvote 0

How can you claim that you didn't have to worry about this with BlackBerry? I came from BB to Android, having the latest and greatest BB phones at that time, but this was still an issue. Go over to crackberry, and you can see post after post of people having issues because every single program they ever opened is running in the background, and they have no idea and can't figure out why their phone is running so slow. I mean, come on... they open up their GPS nav, and then hit the red button to exit out, but it's running in the background and sapping their battery without any warning at all. At least with Android, you can see the Google Nav icon at the top window and drag it down to close it.

Upvote 0

if you can leave your phone sitting .. sleeping... and it drains 25% in 2 hrs... doing nothing...
and task killer .. will help it to last longer?

you have a bad app! it is misbehaving..
it was loaded bad.. or developer did some incorrect coding.

you need to find out which one.. and uninstall it!

get "spare parts" from android market... it is free.
use that app to find the app that uses to much "power consumption"

good apps in the background.. are sleeping and use NOTHING! android will delete if it needs the space.

Upvote 0
People are stuck in the way of the old Wind0ze. I've never used a task killer on Android. And I have never even used the built in one. Leave the Task Killer alone and your battery will last longer!

Lol, you technically don't use the built in task killer, it uses it self. Froyo has that built in and you have no choice as it uses a feature designed for it!

Upvote 0

Then you have something that is draining it by consuming data in the background. What apps do you have installed?

Lol, you technically don't use the built in task killer, it uses it self. Froyo has that built in and you have no choice as it uses a feature designed for it!

Say what? Read below....

i think he is talking about the apps manager in settings.

Upvote 0
@jdsingle

Then specify what you mean, and not be general! I'm not a physic....say who? Read directly to your left....

Physicist? Nah I'm just playing. Settings -> Applications -> Manage Applications -> Click on one, then force stop. Or, if you're way cool and running BB on your gf OG D1 because you're stuck with the POS Samsung Alias 2 then enable long press back to kill foreground application. Maybe I could've done that on the DInc when I was on SR but I do not remember.

Upvote 0
Disable 3G when you don't need it. You still get calls and can SMS. Battery life will be insanely good.

Being an Android 'veteran,' I did my research and got my battery life pretty darn good. Can't believe I never tried the 3G thing. I have a widget that toggles it off/on with one tap, so if I needed to surf the Internet or check my email, one tap gets me 3G again.

It's really amazing how fast 3G drains your battery. I'm on wifi at home and work, so during that time, battery life is very good. On the commute, I can lose 10% in just 30 min.

This past weekend, I was out and about on 3G and my battery drained in 4 hours. The next day, I was out again on 3G, but this time I turned it off. I lost 1% in those 4 hours.

No task killers needed.

Reactions: JunBringer
Upvote 0
Disable 3G when you don't need it. You still get calls and can SMS. Battery life will be insanely good.

Being an Android 'veteran,' I did my research and got my battery life pretty darn good. Can't believe I never tried the 3G thing. I have a widget that toggles it off/on with one tap, so if I needed to surf the Internet or check my email, one tap gets me 3G again.

It's really amazing how fast 3G drains your battery. I'm on wifi at home and work, so during that time, battery life is very good. On the commute, I can lose 10% in just 30 min.

This past weekend, I was out and about on 3G and my battery drained in 4 hours. The next day, I was out again on 3G, but this time I turned it off. I lost 1% in those 4 hours.

No task killers needed.

The 3G toggle switch is that in the market or which custom rom are you using?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones