• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HTC Built in Task Manager!

so..you think task killers/managers will help you extend battery life?

if so.. it is in your head!.. drop that idea.. and drop the 3rd party task killers. only use the built in app managers to kill misbehaving apps. you battery should be just fine.

i suggest you do a little more research into android and why it is different in the aspects to "free memory"

I will say that I have used the task killers and my battery life has doubled, now i did start experiencing force closes, apps not working properly etc... so I uninstalled android is awsome at killing tasks where they need to be closed, but from experiance task killers can/will save you battery if you know how to use them properly

Upvote 0
I will say that I have used the task killers and my battery life has doubled, now i did start experiencing force closes, apps not working properly etc... so I uninstalled android is awsome at killing tasks where they need to be closed, but from experiance task killers can/will save you battery if you know how to use them properly

sure if you have a misbehaving app.. that drains your resources. you need something to kill it..
froyo does have an application manager that can kill apps.

i think you had a bad app... and u used a task killer to stop it. but that does not mean the task killer was the fix!
the fix is to get rid of the bad app.

Reactions: novox77
Upvote 0
sure if you have a misbehaving app.. that drains your resources. you need something to kill it..
froyo does have an application manager that can kill apps.

i think you had a bad app... and u used a task killer to stop it. but that does not mean the task killer was the fix!
the fix is to get rid of the bad app.

Could of been, but I don't see why people always have the Outlook like taskkillers are bad. If you know what your closing, it can improve battery life. It did for me anyways, but it can mess up your system like drain even more battery, crashes, apps not behaving correctly, that's why i ended up uninstalling the task killer I noticed a battery improvement bit it wasnt worth sacrificing/risking the system. But i do agree if you just sit back and let Android do its job then there is no need for one, froyo does have its own task manager Linux is awesome at this guys ;) just my 2 cents ...

Upvote 0
Could of been, but I don't see why people always have the Outlook like taskkillers are bad. If you know what your closing, it can improve battery life.

It's the "auto/scheduled kill" that people discourage. There are definitely times where you legitimately need to manually kill a task, and a task killer is often more handy than using Settings > Applications > Manage Applications > find your task > Force Close

It did for me anyways, but it can mess up your system like drain even more battery, crashes, apps not behaving correctly, that's why i ended up uninstalling the task killer I noticed a battery improvement bit it wasnt worth sacrificing/risking the system. But i do agree if you just sit back and let Android do its job then there is no need for one, froyo does have its own task manager Linux is awesome at this guys ;) just my 2 cents ...

As Dan330 said earlier, if a task killer set to auto kill is giving you better battery life, that means you have an app that's draining juice behind the scenes. The lazy way out is to rely on the task killer, and you risk all the side effects you mention above. The proper solution is to fix the SOURCE of the problem: figure out what app is using your battery and fix it. System Panel is a great app for figuring out which apps are using CPU. It also has a task killer, installer/uninstaller, battery usage graphs, etc.

Plenty of people have amazing battery life without relying on auto task killing. There really is no debate: task killers are not essential for optimal battery life.

Upvote 0
It's the "auto/scheduled kill" that people discourage. There are definitely times where you legitimately need to manually kill a task, and a task killer is often more handy than using Settings > Applications > Manage Applications > find your task > Force Close

As Dan330 said earlier, if a task killer set to auto kill is giving you better battery life, that means you have an app that's draining juice behind the scenes. The lazy way out is to rely on the task killer, and you risk all the side effects you mention above. The proper solution is to fix the SOURCE of the problem: figure out what app is using your battery and fix it. System Panel is a great app for figuring out which apps are using CPU. It also has a task killer, installer/uninstaller, battery usage graphs, etc.

Plenty of people have amazing battery life without relying on auto task killing. There really is no debate: task killers are not essential for optimal battery life.

Not essential? When you go from 7-10 hours of juice in a 24 hour period, then jump to 18-24 hours of juice from using a task killer I would say that's a signifigant jump. Yes task killers do have there side effects and bad rep I wouldn't call it a "lazy way out" either i would call it a easier way out out, like i said task killers are not for everybody, but if you know what you doing they can be really handy, and I don't download a lot of games just the essentials maps, navigator, nfs, shazam etc I always pay close attention before downloding an app/ game to see what it need to access, for intense if you downloading a wallpaper and it needs to access the internet, modify/ delete sd card/ read phone state and identity/ make phone calls etc... I'm not going to download it so its not an app i was using its me knowing how to properly use the task killer once again everybody has mixed views about this subject so im going to leave it at that :)

Upvote 0
I'm pretty sure that 3g has a lot to do with killing my battery, but I don't like force closing an app and then it reappears in the running app lists seconds later. I.e. many of the default apps from sprint. How do I disable 3g?

there are many ways to handle this.. turn off 3G

1. go into setting and networks. uncheck the 3G network.

2. use a toggle switch.. you have this widget on your phone... if not download one from market.

3. use a location or time based app to auto toggle this. ex: local, tasker, juicedefender, timeriffic, automateit

Upvote 0
Not essential? When you go from 7-10 hours of juice in a 24 hour period, then jump to 18-24 hours of juice from using a task killer I would say that's a signifigant jump. Yes task killers do have there side effects and bad rep I wouldn't call it a "lazy way out" either i would call it a easier way out out, like i said task killers are not for everybody, but if you know what you doing they can be really handy, and I don't download a lot of games just the essentials maps, navigator, nfs, shazam etc I always pay close attention before downloding an app/ game to see what it need to access, for intense if you downloading a wallpaper and it needs to access the internet, modify/ delete sd card/ read phone state and identity/ make phone calls etc... I'm not going to download it so its not an app i was using its me knowing how to properly use the task killer once again everybody has mixed views about this subject so im going to leave it at that :)

So...it's easier to download a task killer, and kill an application then it is to do a quick look and find out what application is killing your battery and then just uninstalling it...or turning off background data?

Upvote 0
there are many ways to handle this.. turn off 3G

1. go into setting and networks. uncheck the 3G network.

2. use a toggle switch.. you have this widget on your phone... if not download one from market.

3. use a location or time based app to auto toggle this. ex: local, tasker, juicedefender, timeriffic, automateit

All my stuff is for 4g. I don't have an option for 3g to be turned off unless I'm missing something. I do have an option for mobile network to be toggled on and off, but that wouldn't allow phone calls correct?

Upvote 0
All my stuff is for 4g. I don't have an option for 3g to be turned off unless I'm missing something. I do have an option for mobile network to be toggled on and off, but that wouldn't allow phone calls correct?

funny...

read the description of ..mobile networks.. next to the check mark.

says for data!

in other words...
your phone function and texts.. will still work!

Upvote 0
So...it's easier to download a task killer, and kill an application then it is to do a quick look and find out what application is killing your battery and then just uninstalling it...or turning off background data?

lol... if he is happy.. and does not complain about random issues that task killer may cause... then whatever, it is all good.

its the fools that complain about android and how it sucks with crazy odd issues, bad battery; add negativity to android's reputation.... because of a task killer some ahole told him it was needed.

you know the sayin about leading horse to water and all...

Upvote 0
Not essential? When you go from 7-10 hours of juice in a 24 hour period, then jump to 18-24 hours of juice from using a task killer I would say that's a signifigant jump.

The reason I said it was not essential is because if you look into what's causing the difference in improvement, you can achieve the 18-24hrs without the task killer.

Either you give the task killer the control, or you take the control. Task killer IS the lazy way out because the user doesn't get involved in solving the battery life problem. Personally, I don't like having a lot of stuff running in the background, including task killers. So I spent the time looking at all my apps and figured out which ones were causing drain. Then I took care of it. Problem solved permanently. My battery drain when phone is idle is 1% every 4 hours. Some of that is attributed to the ROM/kernel as well. Task killer not essential.

Again, I'm talking about auto-killing. I do manually kill apps here and there, but very rarely.

Upvote 0
The reason I said it was not essential is because if you look into what's causing the difference in improvement, you can achieve the 18-24hrs without the task killer.

Either you give the task killer the control, or you take the control. Task killer IS the lazy way out because the user doesn't get involved in solving the battery life problem. Personally, I don't like having a lot of stuff running in the background, including task killers. So I spent the time looking at all my apps and figured out which ones were causing drain. Then I took care of it. Problem solved permanently. My battery drain when phone is idle is 1% every 4 hours. Some of that is attributed to the ROM/kernel as well. Task killer not essential.

Again, I'm talking about auto-killing. I do manually kill apps here and there, but very rarely.

I understand what your saying, your staying away from autokill which i wouls too, and your killing them manually. I'm glad to see you idle time is that good so your doing something right im glad we could bounce this back and fourth I've dropped my task killer a long time ago. Im going to start looking more into my phone and figuring the root of my battery problems. Now who else cant wait for this phone to release ahhhh its killing me!

Upvote 0

Think about what you just said... yes it easier you just kill the task that's the problem rather than looking, stopping data, " finding the root of the problem"... that's why i dont belive its being lazy using one its easier to use one. That being said me personally am going to start looking more into it, considering the side effects of task killers

Upvote 0
Back on topic: a task manager is more than a task killer, although killing tasks is definitely something the task manager is capable of. I use System Panel, which I think is the best task manager / power monitor currently available. But it's a paid app. If HTC creates a powerful task manager, I see it being very useful for everyone. Currently in stock configuration, there's no easy way to see what's running, what's suspended in memory, etc without downloading an app. There's also no easy way to manually kill an app or uninstall an app. There's no way to see how much memory or CPU an app is using.

Some will argue that the need for a task manager proves that Android is not user-friendly. Which is true to some degree. Android is powerful, which makes it more complex. And like any machine designed to do complex work, you require more settings and controls. There is no "easy button" for flying a commercial jet, for example (autopilot excluded :) ). That said, you can still use Android in a very basic way, which means you may never have to use a task manager.

Upvote 0
Think about what you just said... yes it easier you just kill the task that's the problem rather than looking, stopping data, " finding the root of the problem"... that's why i dont belive its being lazy using one its easier to use one. That being said me personally am going to start looking more into it, considering the side effects of task killers

Okay, besides the fact that Google developer says do not use one (I forgot that most Android users are smarter than the Google software developers), why do you keep insisting it is what you need?

You tried to call me out telling me to think about what I just said...hmmm. Download a task killer and use it frequently to kill applications. Or, take 2 minutes to figure out what application is consuming so much power and either uninstall it (another 30 seconds) or turn off background data (27 seconds).

I'm not trying to call you out or anything close. We're all trying to explain to you that your perception is incorrect and it is verified by some of the top heads in this industry.

Source: Android Developers Blog: Multitasking the Android Way

Upvote 0
wasteland said he has stopped and will look into the issue. that is good enough for me.

and if he decides to keep using it...

still ok with me.

smoking is bad.. we can all agree to that.
and some still freely choose to start and keep doing it. as long as they keep it to themselves and not complain about the smoke and smell..
still ok with me.

someone i love and care about.. i do try to keep help them to stop smoking.
wasteland is just someone online and they can do as they want.
still ok with me.

Reactions: WaSTeLaNd
Upvote 0

I had never seen this before. Thanks for sharing. And I wish I had found that when I first got my Evo!

So reading it now, I picked up on a few things I never really thought about before: apps really DO load in under a second, and if they take longer, users notice and get pissed. I can attest to that. I downloaded firefox for my phone, and when I run it, there's a FF splash screen logo that appears for 3-5 seconds, and I hate having to wait that amount for the browser to come up.

So, back to task killers... things that affect battery life must be "services" since they are allowed to run continuously in the background. So to solve the problem, you need to identify the service and the App responsible for the service, then change the settings of the App to disable the backgrounding service, or just uninstall the App if it's not important to you. A task killer is likely killing the service, but for sure, the App will just summon the service back up at a later time, and the cycle repeats. Pretty inefficient.

Upvote 0
Okay, besides the fact that Google developer says do not use one (I forgot that most Android users are smarter than the Google software developers), why do you keep insisting it is what you need?

You tried to call me out telling me to think about what I just said...hmmm. Download a task killer and use it frequently to kill applications. Or, take 2 minutes to figure out what application is consuming so much power and either uninstall it (another 30 seconds) or turn off background data (27 seconds).

I'm not trying to call you out or anything close. We're all trying to explain to you that your perception is incorrect and it is verified by some of the top heads in this industry.

Source: Android Developers Blog: Multitasking the Android Way

Oh lord I was hoping it wouldnt come to this, if a million people told you the sky was pink during a blue sunny day would you believe them? Look im not arguing and i wasbt trying to. call you out either i was just saying my opinion bro, that being said when i used the task killer my battery improved dramatically that's fact man I saw it happen it was my phone im not going to argue that task killers do casuse bad side effects I know this but that dosent mean it won't improve your battery life I'm sorry if i offend you in anyway i apologize I've stopped using task killers long ago now im taking some advise i got from people including you to look onto it more, I'm sure you are correct it will improve my battery life I just got to learn what to look for, like how to know which apps are draining your battery I'm lokki.g into it but don't push your opinon on me when i have seen first hand that task killers can save your battery now yall have shown me a better way to do that which I am listening and going to.try ill leave it at that once again sorry if It seemed like i was calling you out , didn't mean for it to sound like that

Upvote 0
Oh lord I was hoping it wouldnt come to this, if a million people told you the sky was pink during a blue sunny day would you believe them? Look im not arguing and i wasbt trying to. call you out either i was just saying my opinion bro, that being said when i used the task killer my battery improved dramatically that's fact man I saw it happen it was my phone im not going to argue that task killers do casuse bad side effects I know this but that dosent mean it won't improve your battery life I'm sorry if i offend you in anyway i apologize I've stopped using task killers long ago now im taking some advise i got from people including you to look onto it more, I'm sure you are correct it will improve my battery life I just got to learn what to look for, like how to know which apps are draining your battery I'm lokki.g into it but don't push your opinon on me when i have seen first hand that task killers can save your battery now yall have shown me a better way to do that which I am listening and going to.try ill leave it at that once again sorry if It seemed like i was calling you out , didn't mean for it to sound like that

Any battery life gains whether real or perceived that noticed after using a task killer are purely coincidental. You are welcome to keep using them, but they are not helping you. This is fact.

Upvote 0
Any battery life gains whether real or perceived that noticed after using a task killer are purely coincidental. You are welcome to keep using them, but they are not helping you. This is fact.

not a fact entirely, with out task killer 6-7 battery, with task killer ( with proper use ) 18-24 tested many times how can you deny the numbers?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones