HTC called me about my wifi signal

Last Updated:

1. vblick

vblick Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Originally when I contacted HTC about wifi issues I got an email reply with a potential solution in it to try. That solution didn't improve anything so today I received a phone call from them. The person I spoke with was trying to collect as much info as possible. Evo software version, s/n, meid, type of router i use, distance away from router when signal drops out etc...

I asked him if they'd been able to find something wrong with hardware or software so far and he said i'm the first person that he was actually able to get a hold of to get feedback. Seems like this is in the infant stages.

While the evo was booting up I asked if there are anymore OTA updates coming soon and he said they are working on a lot of fixes right now so it was hard to say. I also asked when evo would be getting 2.2 and he didn't sound optimistic about getting it soon. His understanding was that nexus recently released to press that it was getting 2.2, he doesn't think the actual phones even have it yet.

Advertisement
  2. brad-short

brad-short Well-Known Member

HTC WiFi appears weak over most of the range, with many different users reporting weak reception compared to other phones / tech

3. blueblur

blueblur Member

my wifi signal is weak for wpa.. a bit stronger for WEP for whatever reason...hardware 002 model..doesnt matter what rom I use and I do have the radio update..

bummer!

4. zcarman

zcarman Well-Known Member

I don't get it, I mean I only get 1 or 2 'bars' on my WiFi no matter where I am, but the speed is maxing out my home and office connections anyway - even at the 'low' signal strength. Frankly, if I am far away enough from my networks, it's usually outside where my 4G connection is faster than my networks anyway.

Also, I think blueblur may be on to something. One network we run WEP and it's consistently 2 bars. The other is WPA2 and it's mostly 1 bar... interesting... Speed's not different between the two though.

5. IPvFletch

IPvFletch Well-Known Member

The bad part is, likely they cannot fix it without using more battery/juice. :(

Otherwise, the fix would have to be HW, essentially some antenna adapter or what have you.

Maybe the EVO's infamous "grounding issues" are to blame??

6. rushmore

rushmore Well-Known Member

The problem is not throughput speed- it is signal reception range. You can have great speed, even with weak reception. The mWatts need to be increased, but the N900 has the option in settings and it drains battery more.

"Beer", it's what's for dinner.