HTC Confirms to me Slow Charging on Froyo was designed on PurposeGeneral

Last Updated:

1. captainm27

captainm27 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

:( Looks like we're all stuck with slow charging...... :-( Except those who Root! I might just get into it. On a side note, I do have to say, I do agree that the battery got pretty hot quickly.... But that's what A/C Vents are for:p

[​IMG][​IMG]

Advertisement
    dibs ODDJOB, jasperwill and Lefort1 like this.
  2. mpw

mpw Well-Known Member

They're saying they designed a phone that's not fit for purpose?!

I'd be returning mine if I were in your situation.

3. smile44

smile44 Well-Known Member

Hmm, although a bummer, this overheating problem was supposedly the reason they stopped making the charging dock, correct? Maybe this means we'll have one soon (although I won't hold my breath).

4. Stacman

Stacman Member

This is pretty typical after experiencing the first Motorola Droid. They'll just continue to make it worse. This Froyo causes some serious lag in everything. So much for the super fast snap dragon processor. Maybe I'll just go back to the simple phones where they work right, and they don't screw them up...

5. A.Nonymous

A.Nonymous Well-Known Member

I'm looking for a way to stick with 2.1. If I use GPS in the car, I simply mount the phone in front of an A/C vent. Problem is solved. Not the best solution though by any stretch, but it works.

jj3699 likes this.
  6. jj3699

jj3699 Well-Known Member

So does that mean we can not charge our phone while using our navigation???

7. scion193

scion193 Active Member

Lame dash o

8. secretLOVER

secretLOVER Well-Known Member

Its reminding me of MAG for PS3.
    THEY'RE NERFING THIS PHONE!!!

Fortunately, the 2.2 update has done nothing but positive things for me, just like MAG updates (until they nerfed it beyond repair).

The reason I mention this, other than rubbing it in, is because it kills/ruins the product. Be careful what you wish for.

9. Stacman

Stacman Member

What effect would rooting have on all the issues created by Froyo? Any? Or is it just not worth doing?

10. Jakaro

Jakaro Well-Known Member

People make custom kernals that supposedly make the charge time faster.

11. zemerick

zemerick Well-Known Member

U
    No. Normally you should still be able to run multiple things without hitting this limit and discharging your battery. I was able to run 3g internet, navigation actually pulled up and navigating ( screen brightness set to about 10 percent though), and pdanet running ( with my computer pulling pandora streams and browsing these forums) and did not discharge my battery at all. Just make sure you dont have an actual serious hog running, like google goggles or brain genius deluxe.

Its good to have this confirmed though, and people will need to be aware of it. If you have a hog on your syatem, it is going to be much more obvious now.

jj3699 likes this.
  12. Fine69

Fine69 Well-Known Member

Um I cant get this 1750 to go dead even mid day anymore yeah it takes about two more to charge but the trade off Ill take for sure.

13. jbh00jh

jbh00jh Well-Known Member

I have the 2150 batt and I charge the phone overnight while I'm asleep and never have a problem getting thru the day. I usually have at least 40% left when I plug it in at night. :)

14. BigB

BigB New Member

I don't know what the heck I am doing wrong to get such crappy battery life. I charge overnight, have minimal email use, surf the web for a total of about 30 minutes, and I only get about 5 hours before I am in the orange bar. I am not running any apps that would hog the juice, set updates on various programs to less frequent, etc.

15. yojoe600

yojoe600 Well-Known Member

king kernel is suppose to make it charge faster

16. Kilo7

Kilo7 Well-Known Member

I bought 2 2600mah batteries , charger, back cover from ebay..21.99. couldn't be happier. I didn't think i would have like flipping out batteries, but i do it every now and then. So I don't have a problem with the slow charge. I guess I never noticed it.

17. yoda715

yoda715 Member

18. LarsWall

LarsWall Active Member

Does this apply when the phone is off? I was charging my phone this morning, after 40 minutes it went from 11% to 39%. I was like...wtf? So i turned my phone off, and when I turned it on 10 minutes later it was at 63%. But maybe that wasn't real because it discharged mighty quickly to 30% in the next 2 hours, with 1 hour awake time.

19. DROIDdidME

DROIDdidME Well-Known Member

I've noticed the slow charging while the phone is on, but if I turn it off it seems to charge relatively fast

20. zemerick

As the person above noted, this appears to be artificial. I've got a few theories on what exactly could cause it to do this, but the net result is: ignore it. Just let it charge for a couple hours like normal. You might have to unplug and plug back in part way though if the artificial numbers actually turn the charge off thinking the battery is full when it is not..not sure here though just yet.

21. kayst

kayst Well-Known Member

On 2.1 my battery never got hot when charging while on overnight while I wasn't using it, but now on 2.2 it gets really hot and charges much slower. When I take it off the charger in the morning it is extremely hot. If they changed to a slower charge to keep the battery from getting hot they didn't do a very good job.

22. elrabin

elrabin Well-Known Member

With screen on auto-brightness, my 2.2 Droid Incredible(Verizon OTA 2.2), i can use GPS navigation just fine while charging. I just took a trip this morning, plugged in with the battery on yellow and when i unhooked at my destination(1.5 hrs away) the battery was green. So its definately charging mine.

I am using the official HTC / Verizon extended 2150 mah battery and a 1amp Verizon Micro-usb charger.

Perhaps 500 milliamp chargers aren't sufficient?

23. Fine69

Fine69 Well-Known Member

Its because there is no draw at all on the battery so the charger can give it all its got really fast. Yeah turning it off total charge without bump in 2.25 hours on 4 hours or so

24. killadanny

killadanny Well-Known Member

My phones charge just fine...:eek:

25. zemerick

The fix doesn't account for user-generated issues. I'm willing to bet you had something running your CPU hard, putting out a lot of heat as well as draining power from the battery while it was charging. Net result: Heat, lots of it.

The fix does indeed prevent batteries from getting hot under normal conditions, but can not do anything about abnormal. I managed to get mine hot while running pandora, PDAnet, Navigation and talking on the phone during a charge ( Which BTW you should not do, it hurts the battery). I asked the person to hang on a sec, killed Pandora and Navigation...and the temperature began going down. VOILA.