1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

HTC Design as world phone?General

1. jeffdlb

jeffdlb Well-Known Member

Has anybody actually tried using the HTC Design in Europe? Can you buy a cheap SIM and use that, or do you need to buy a SIM from Sprint and pay US roaming rates?

Advertisement
    :
  2. yahhboy

yahhboy Well-Known Member

Sprint is cdma so you can't use it with GSM network s (which use sim cards) cdma doesn't use sim cards.
  3. Darnell0216

Darnell0216 Well-Known Member

From what I was told in store, you simply swap the included Sprint sim with the one you want to use when travelling. However we have all learned store reps aren't always taught correctly. If anything, I would call in to confirm. With the device's release being just over two months ago, I don't know how much international research may have been done on the device.
    jeffdlb likes this.
  4. jeffdlb

OK, thanks--what you were told is at least encouraging.
  5. jeffdlb

I know. The whole point of the HTC Desire as a "world phone" is that it supports both CDMA and TDMA (as used by GSM) protocols. It comes with a SIM. I'm trying to find out whether I can really put in any SIM (i.e., the phone is essentially unlocked, at least overseas) or whether I must use the Sprint-provided SIM and pay steep charges to Sprint.
  6. NMPatronis

NMPatronis New Member

Hey, I have the design 4g. It works in Europe with the sprint sim card (if activated). It also works using local sim cards. I have both a Lebrera and a Metor sim card and the both work.

Hope this helps,
    Nick
    joshua.worth and xman95 like this.
  7. abeerzsingh

abeerzsingh New Member

Can I go-ahead and buy a "factory unlocked" design 4g and use it with any SIM in India?
    Please suggest.
  8. chong67

chong67 Well-Known Member

I have experince with Touch Pro 2 while in Malaysia and Singapore and it works great!

Dont seem why not this phone will work just the same anywhere there is SIM card.
    joshua.worth likes this.
  9. xman95

xman95 Well-Known Member

Hey Nick,
    Did you have to ask Sprint to Unlock the phone first? Or are the selling them unlocked? I would think they would require an unlock.
  10. haris163

haris163 Well-Known Member

I am curious about that too. I am also wondering what is Boost going to do with the GSM side of the phone.
  11. downthemachine

downthemachine Developer Incognito VIP Member

If it has a sim and it's cdma, it actually is called RUIM, removable user identity module. Google it, basically it allows you to switch between different Sims to allow you to switch carriers, cdma or gsm.
  12. joshua.worth

joshua.worth Well-Known Member

It's a world phone and works on both gsm and cdma networks.

[​IMG]
  13. joshua.worth

Typically Sprint devices that are world phones whether advertised or not are already sim unlocked.
  14. joshua.worth

If it were locked don't pay steep charges for goodness sake pay $20 bucks and have it unlocked that being said see my previous post
  15. OverByter

OverByter Resident Slide Rule Guru

It'll work fine with any sim overseas, GSM is locked in North America per FCC regs. Same thing with the iPhone 4S, it's locked to whatever carrier you buy it from in the US, overseas it's an unlocked phone.