• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help HTC Desire 820 won't turn on or charge!

Jamjamjamm

Lurker
Oct 28, 2015
I've had the phone for 4 months, it was on 15% battery and I went to check it, it was turned off, I thought it must've been dead so put it on charge and instead of a solid LED light coming on, it just blinked once then I tried a different outlet, different cord, different charger base, everything, still doesn't appear to be charging, cant remove the battery, won't soft reset. Anyone know what to do? It's been charging for 3-4 hours so far. Any help would be appreciated.

Reactions: Maulik0721
That was 11 hours ago, so hopefully you've left it on charge all that time and it's come to life?

If not, what (if anything) is the charging light doing? On solid is good, blinking would imply a charging error (normally that it's too hot), off completely is not good.

Still nothing unfortunately, the LED blinks once quickly whereas it usually has a solid light.

Upvote 0
I've had the phone for 4 months, it was on 15% battery and I went to check it, it was turned off, I thought it must've been dead so put it on charge and instead of a solid LED light coming on, it just blinked once then I tried a different outlet, different cord, different charger base, everything, still doesn't appear to be charging, cant remove the battery, won't soft reset. Anyone know what to do? It's been charging for 3-4 hours so far. Any help would be appreciated.
I have the same problem let me know how to solve it

Upvote 0
Same prob.. outta warranty, please help!
Well if it is a battery failure there is no help apart from replacement.

@ekor has told you how to force a restart on a phone with a non-removable battery (though how long you have to press it for depends on what phone you have, which we don't know). If that doesn't help, can you tell us in detail exactly what happens? But if it's hardware there is nothing we'll be able to suggest other than repair or replace.

Reactions: ekor
Upvote 0
I am having same Issue with my HTC 820 Desire dual sim Phone.
It got switched off automatically while using Skype, i thought due to low battery but after that not able to Powered it ON. While charging LED instead of Bold it is Blinking and not charging. I tried Hard reset Option but no result.
I thought it is not a hardware issue , it must be a software issue.
What i can remeber that some POP Up came before my phone sitched OFF , I just press ok without reading.

Can any one help with update what happens to their phone , has they get phone repaired with detail to support me as i dont have warranty.

Reactions: Arun Anil
Upvote 0
It got switched off automatically while using Skype, i thought due to low battery but after that not able to Powered it ON. While charging LED instead of Bold it is Blinking and not charging. I tried Hard reset Option but no result.
What i can remeber that some POP Up came before my phone sitched OFF , I just press ok without reading.

Can any one help with update what happens to their phone , has they get phone repaired with detail to support me as i dont have warranty.

Did u have USB debugging enabled?

Upvote 0
I have checked the device at HTC Service Centre they reverted that MotherBoard & Screen gone & need to Replace with new.
After that I hav eget it cheked with some repair centre not authorised one he also state the same.

reparing cost is more than the new Device HTC 820 Dual sim.

EKOR will you be able to help further as i have taken my mobile back with both and try to check myself.
I dont have any software to check please support if any software available online to check your suggested reset option, your support will be appriciated.

I will download the software and want to try your reset option.

Upvote 0
I am having the same issue. My phone is out warranty now. been 14 months since i bought the my htc desire 820. last saturday i updated to marshmallow and after a few minutes it stopped working. I showed at the htc service center and they told me my pcb has been damaged and that it would cost 70%(around 15K) of the original cost of phone.
Any suggestions please?

Reactions: hairypotter
Upvote 0
An update shouldn't effect the PCB. If that's truly the problem then it's just an unfortunate coincidence. The part itself isn't very expensive. I would suspect that replacing it can be a bit tricky.

When you say 'stopped working' exactly what do you mean? Completely black screen and won't turn on as if the battery were disconnected? OR it turns on but won't boot into Android?

Upvote 0
An update shouldn't effect the PCB. If that's truly the problem then it's just an unfortunate coincidence. The part itself isn't very expensive. I would suspect that replacing it can be a bit tricky.

When you say 'stopped working' exactly what do you mean? Completely black screen and won't turn on as if the battery were disconnected? OR it turns on but won't boot into Android?
Completely black screen and won't turn on. Only the red led blinks when kept on charging.
Well, it might be a coincidence... But it still happened so what should I do?

Upvote 0
Have you tried a simulated battery pull yet?

press and hold the power button and volume down button for 20 to 30 seconds. Make sure you hold them both for the full 30 seconds, or until the phone turns on. If after 30 seconds, try to turn the phone on normally. You might have to repeat this once or twice. If nothing happens at all, then you have some sort of hardware problem. If the red light light's on the phone, I don't buy the PCB theory because your phone is getting power through the port.

Upvote 0
Have you tried a simulated battery pull yet?

press and hold the power button and volume down button for 20 to 30 seconds. Make sure you hold them both for the full 30 seconds, or until the phone turns on. If after 30 seconds, try to turn the phone on normally. You might have to repeat this once or twice. If nothing happens at all, then you have some sort of hardware problem. If the red light light's on the phone, I don't buy the PCB theory because your phone is getting power through the port.
Hmmmm.... Well, I had that doubt so I gave the phone at another place for analysis... Let's hope you are right.

Upvote 0
Guys i also faced the same issue and HTC customer care asked to replace Screen & Main Board which will cost around Rs.15000
This is some software bug which HTC or android is not accepting ..
How can this much of people face the same issue in different conditions. My phone got dead when i am using it for Skype and battery ws low phone got switched off and after that never switched ON. Same issue unable to charge Red Led Blinks nothing else. I have shown it to local road side repair shop he is telling only board issue and he will change it for Rs.5000 but now I don't want to get it repair.

Upvote 0

Hi Neeraj, any update on your device, I am also facing same issue. Handset not powering on and while charging light blinks and after few minutes it show as charging, but when i try to start my phone, HTC start tone stops after playing half tone. Service centre told me that the motherboad, charging point and microphone needs a replacement. Cost around Rs. 10k.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones