• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HTC Desire and iPhone 4

So your point was just to say that android had a few of the good apps available already for the iPhone and a few decent utility apps. Well that was my whole point, you can only name utility apps and crossover ones.

I've no idea how.anyone can even compare the two stores, there is such a massive gulf in quality between the two at the moment.

at the moment... but like I said above, that is changing. And There are lots and lots of great, not just good, but great apps out there. Half of androids problem is the marketplace is hard to navigate and searching it doesnt always reveal what your looking for.

I think I managed to replace every one of the apps i had on my iPhone with a cheap or free android equivilent on my Desire that was at least as good. (apps, not games). Navigon sat nav is a great example of a big name that is developing for both stables, Adobe is another.

Upvote 0
lol apple had a head start of 3 years for apps. Android will catch up with the apps market.
My father and other friends which I consider is the average user unlocked their iphones to be able to change SIM CARDS while abroad so you don't have to pay high charges.

I'm not sure if i understand. Hasn't that always been the case? I've had to unlock plenty of phones in the past in order to use a differnt SIM in them

Upvote 0
Actually, Apple launched the App Store on the 10th of July 2008 and the Android Market was released on the 22nd of October 2008.

LOL. That is funny. I guess these kids here believe it all started with the desire!

Anyway, I gotta say i love my desire I just hate all this back slapping trying to convince each other they made the right decision and all of the 15 year old boy arguments about how Apple are evil and everyone who buys an iPhone is a sheep. Hey look at me im an individual and different to the great masses of sheep.

Upvote 0
They're both brilliant phones imo. I used to have a iphone & it was fantastic (still is) I now have a desire & it too is fantastic. Don't lets start a silly 'mine is better than yours' debate, iphone 4 looks like a class phone & I'm sure the next htc one is too. Its just a shame that 99% of us will only own one or the other :-/

Upvote 0
They're both brilliant phones imo. I used to have a iphone & it was fantastic (still is) I now have a desire & it too is fantastic. Don't lets start a silly 'mine is better than yours' debate, iphone 4 looks like a class phone & I'm sure the next htc one is too. Its just a shame that 99% of us will only own one or the other :-/

Agreed. I can't understand why people feel the need to slate Apple and the iphone all of the time. I guess it's just the cool thing to do.

Upvote 0
I'm by no means a 'fan-boy' of either android or apple, I use android, OS X, windows and linux all the time, but I'm sick and tired of hearing about how 'terrible' apples products are on this forum! Every time someone mentions apple there's a huge torrent of abuse from the geek squad. (I don't mean that offensively btw, I consider myself a geek through and through.)

Look, yes the iPhone is locked down. No, you can't customise the UI, install non-market apps or any of the other things it gets slated for. But for the MAJORITY of people, THEY DON'T CARE! They love the fact that they can tap into an ecosystem of supporting products (iTunes/App Store) and get a complete, idiot proof experience that is slicker than two eels f**king in a bucket of snot. And don't act like it isn't.... the iPhone delivers way beyond what most people desire from a phone (no pun intended!)

The problem for me with apple (any apple product) is how restricted they are. Locked down. Take an apple mac for example, want to change registry entries? Good luck!

Think of it this way...

Ferrari make cars. They produce high quality cars and sell those cars for astronomically high prices. You cannot drive them any faster than any other car while you're on the road. They still need petrol to run and they still get you from A to B. They are however somewhat of a status symbol; a luxury item designed for people who have money to spend on such luxuries and serve as a way to 'show off' ones wealth. It is of course possible to build a car that goes just as fast, probably for less money, but you'll never be able to buy the badge.

Ford also make cars. They produce those cars to a lower standard of quality to Ferrari but sell them at more affordable prices. You cannot drive them any faster than any other car on the road, they still need petrol to run and they still get you from A to B. These are not status symbols, they (and other cars in their class) make up for an extremely large percentage of overall road users. You can make them go faster and they are much easier to modify due to the more basic setup of the engines and mechanical parts.

Do you hear Ford owners slating Ferrari for selling expensive and, in many ways, ultimately pointless cars to people who have the income to buy them? Are Ferrari wrong in doing so? Should every car company be the same - building low end products that can be customised and tuned to the motorists needs? Or are there enough of those companies around already? Maybe the MAJORITY of motorists don't want a car they can 'spec up' because they don't have the knowledge to do so.

Why don't we take the quote I used earlier in the post and change it to match this analogy.

"The problem for me with Ferrari (or any Ferrari) is how restricted they are. Locked down. Take a Ferrari F430 for example, want to change the distributer cap for something more efficient? Good luck!"

Well, Ok then. If that's your passion and that's where your knowledge is then buy something else! No one is forcing you to buy either.

See the similarity? You know where I'm going with that...

Anyway, Apple don't make bad products. The locked down nature of their product ecosystem is a GOOD THING for the MAJORITY of people who buy into it. It makes the end user experience feel safe, slick and reliable. How difficult is that to understand?

Buy whatever product you want, they each have their pro's and con's. Maybe one day you will be able to come onto one of these forums and not have to sift through the million "I HATE APPLE" posts to find the useful and coherent ones that are based on facts and actual experience (which in this case came from the infinitely knowledgeable Lekky.)

Food for thought gentlemen, food for thought...

Upvote 0
d.knight99 speaks the truth. Most people really couldn't care less about whether they can customise a home page, use a task manager and just generally tinker around with their phone. I gotta say I don't care much for that either, it isn't going to entertain me on the train to work! Apple App Store is the only reason you need to know why that phone kicks everyone elses ass at the moment and you can't argue with that, the quality on the app store is there for everyone to see (yes yes fart apps blah blah blah).
Sorry for repeating, I just get really annoyed by the anti-apple brigade, though I'm sure none of them are over the age of 16 so it's understandable.

Upvote 0
Apple App Store is the only reason you need to know why that phone kicks everyone elses ass at the moment and you can't argue with that, the quality on the app store is there for everyone to see (yes yes fart apps blah blah blah).

This is still the high point of iPhone IMO. Unfortunately like someone said, people who use Android expects more free apps than paid ones, hence developers moving away from the Android scene in order to generate profit. Although I believe that as people start having more disposable incomes, this might change in the Android scene (with the help of Google too, maybe).

In retrospect though, something that is open source can only go as fast as the community demands it which makes Android an exciting prospect at the moment. There's quite a lot of possibility with it and I guess the dev in me is liking that very much. Tinkering all the way to root level? Yes please.

I guess I'll compare it to Volunteer work (Android) vs. Paid jobs (iPhone). They are not mutually exclusive but they also attract different sort of crowds. There's another thread in another forum which basically concludes that Android and Apple will always leapfrog eachother all the time, trying to prove otherwise is useless.

Upvote 0
LOL. That is funny. I guess these kids here believe it all started with the desire!

Anyway, I gotta say i love my desire I just hate all this back slapping trying to convince each other they made the right decision and all of the 15 year old boy arguments about how Apple are evil and everyone who buys an iPhone is a sheep. Hey look at me im an individual and different to the great masses of sheep.

Oi, who are you calling kids? Have a look in the mirror before throwing childish statements around.

Jesus, what did you expect to find in an Android fourm? I'm with you that name calling is pointless, but frankly this time round Apple have shown themselves to be worryingly cut off from the rest of the world.

Clearly it helps Steve Jobs that the audience are a bunch of Apple sychophants who cheer and whoop everytime he farts, but the new iPhone isn't really doing anything particularly special, though I find it irritating that he's spouting off like Apple came up with all these "innovations", I mean for God's sake, the guy got applause when he said the iPhone4 had an LED flash!! Please, come on.

As I said in another thread, Apple's biggest asset is the media who hang off everything they do; no other tech firm gets their new launches covered by the media to this extent. So you can bet that anyone with an interest in a new phone has the iPhone4 firmly lodged in their brains right now, not because of Apple marketing, but because of the worldwide media. You can't buy that kind of advertising!

Anyway, it's a great looking phone, but I'm not in the Apple world of iTunes, etc, so it's of no interest to me, but it will sell like hot cakes like they always do. I can't help thinking that iPad owners are feeling a little put out though, surely "face time" (crap name) would have been much better on that device?

What I'd ask though is what have Apple introduced on the iPhone4 that is of real genuine benefit to the customer? If the casual buyer doesn't care about tinkering, then why do they care about "retina" resolution?

The Ferrari analogy is a good one though; Apple make luxury products at a premium price, but sadly that does often give their owners an air of misplaced smug superiority - at the end of the day, it's just an (over priced) phone. My Desire is an equal to the iPhone regardless of whether I tinker with it or customise it; I could do none of those things and it still easily matches Apple's device - in my oh so humble opinion ;)

Upvote 0
I personally think the Ferrari / Ford analogy is misplaced. Ferraris are massively more powerful than 'normal' cars and are completely non mass-market - they make genuinely elite products for a very rich niche.

I think a more fitting comparison for Android / iPhone OS would be more like Ford / BMW, although for some reason I always think of the Lexus when I think of the iPhone (perhaps due to the Alan Partridge connection - if he were still going I'm sure he'd be a rabid iPhone owner!). The premium you pay between a Mondeo and 3 series BMW is for the extra kudos of the brand, a few bits of extra refinement, a snobbier but posher showroom etc. They're comparable cars, and the Mondeo will actually beat the BMW in many road tests, be cheaper to service and maintain, come with more extras as standard etc, but if given the choice (and assuming they can afford either) many people will still pay more for the BMW for the perceived 'cool' and the brand reputation.

To really make the analogy work though, BMW would have to force you to only buy special BMW petrol, and only drive on routes that have been declared acceptable by them!

Upvote 0
"Android is a lot more fragmented from a development standpoint due to its open-source nature and myriad handsets all with differing capability. This can be both a good and bad thing. It's hard to keep an Android phone from becoming dated quickly due to the speed with which Android handsets hit the market. Software update frequency is hardware-dependent as well."
I read that somewhere...
Anyways, what would be a better choice for a 16 year old, iPhone or htc desire?
And would htc desire become obsolete in 1-2 years?

Upvote 0
Hi all, pretty new to the forums from a posting sense but been lurking for a while since getting my Desire.

I do love how people get into these big discussions. We're all on a Desire thread on an Android Forum. This, in all fairness, would imply that we all made a decision to buy a Desire instead of any other phone on the market. This means, we believe the Desire is the best phone for OUR OWN NEEDS. So, trying to justify it by slagging off the iPhone is kind of pointless because you're only slagging something off to other people who also have the Desire!!! Kind of a waste of time in my eyes.

Personally I am not a huge Apple fan period. It isn't because of them "doing a Microsoft" etc or because they have fantastic Marketing and PR departments, it's because I feel they are over-priced and over-hyped given their products specifications and capabilities. The only thing from Apple that has really made me impressed is the quality of their Monitors and although highly priced, i do feel are worth the extra expense IF YOU NEED THAT QUALITY. I make do with a Dell because I can't justify the expense etc.

Anyway, the iPhone 4 looks like a good phone though I do think putting Video Calling on there when most other manufacturers are moving away because nobody uses it is a bit of a strange move. In all fairness it looks nice, I am sure it's pretty well made, the screen is seemingly excellent tho over done in resolution terms and a little smaller than other phones, the CPU is comparable to Desire and a couple of upcoming tho would have thought Apple would've pushed the boat out a little more with that and obviously they have the backup of the infamous Apps Store.

So, the iPhone 4 has a lot going for it and most current iPhone users will undoubtedly flock too it and if they've had good experiences in the past, why shouldn't they? The ones that wish to give android, bada, symbian phones a try will go off and do so too. The rest of us that are happy to not be iPhone owners as we feel other phones suit are needs better will keep happily buying from HTC, Samsung, Motorola etc etc.

Lets just all agree that the iPhone 4 is a great phone which suits a lot of peoples needs, trends, fashoins in the same way we feel the Desire is a great phone that suits ours needs.

2 cents done now :)

Dave

Upvote 0
I don't dispute this, the Iphone 3G did interest me prior to finding more about the latest batch of Androids. The main reason not for using them was the complete monopoly Apple have and the lockdown on basic functionality like file access. Well unless you have I-Tunes. I cannot think of anything worse on my PC I loath having to use Quicktime and that keeps trying to install I-Tunes.

Its amazing how many Apple I-pod/I-Phone users I know don't actually like I-Tunes but have to install the bloody thing unless they find the unofficial alternatives that is.

Simply put there are a few reasons I am not personally interested and the standard layman would not care about.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones