HTC Desire and Swype?

Last Updated:

1. ljcblink182

ljcblink182 New Member This Topic's Starter

Hi all I am just wondering before I purchase this phone, is that when Swype is done Beta Testing, Will it be available for this phone?

I am also wondering Should I wait for the Samsung Galaxy S on Us Cellular (i live in Wisconin, USA) or go ahead and get this phone. Thanks

Larry

Advertisement
  2. UKseagull

UKseagull Well-Known Member

Hi Larry and welcome.

1. I can't say for certain but I'd imagine that Swype would be released as an Android app available to most handsets, unless they decide to make it a carrier/manufacturer specific app?

2. I have the Desire and it's a great phone, however the Samsung has a slightly larger screen and more internal memory. There are lag issues with the Galaxy but they should be addressed with an update. If I were looking to buy now, I'd probably choose the Samsung.

ljcblink182 likes this.
  3. diS

diS Well-Known Member

Although Samsung hasn't got a good reputation regarding updates :)

I'd go for the Desire.
    It's a brilliant phone! Internal memory IS an issue still after the app2sd update with froyo but if you manage your apps you'd notice it rarely.

ljcblink182 likes this.
  4. Darkstar2010

Darkstar2010 Well-Known Member

I don't have a Desire yet but i'll be getting one soon...so Im not completely familiar with how everything works yet, but i've been doing as much research as I can.......with that said, I have a question about what you just mentioned....How come you say that internal memory is still an issue if you use app2sd? isn't app2sd supposed to put all your apps onto your sd card meaning that the internal memory limit doesnt become a factor anymore?

ljcblink182 likes this.
  5. venkig

venkig Member

I wouldn't go for Samsung Galaxy S bcos the camera doesn't have flash which is kinda deal breaker. Not that great with updates.

Internal Memory is 16GB but what the hell you can get a decent 8/16GB SD card below $50.

Galaxy does have a nice screen SAMOLED. Desire comes with SLCD(the newer ones) which is also quiet good.

Galaxy has a 4" and Desire has 3.7" and quiet honest Galaxy felt really big and I didn't like that. Desire just feels and fits perfect.

For me the major deal breaker was Camera not having Flash.

Also you'll miss HTC SENSE UI which is really great.

Summing Up

Galaxy: SMOLED 4" screen, 16GB internal, 5MP Camera with no flash
    Desire: SLCD 3.7" screen, 512MB (can be upgraded to 32GB), 5MP Camera with Flash.

ljcblink182 likes this.
  6. chris 290

chris 290 Well-Known Member

First up, SlideIT from the market is very similar to swype so that input method is not a problem.

Desire is more stable and in my opinion looks alot better build quality than sgs which is fugly.

Internal memory is poor on desire but you can force most apps to sd card even without rooting.

I would vote for desire.

ljcblink182 likes this.
  7. ljcblink182

Is app2sd an app or is it a setting in the phone???

Thanks

Larry

8. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

Apps2sd is part of the Android 2.2 Operating system. It allows some applications (support needs to be coded in by the application developer) to be moved to the SD card.

There is also Apps2sd+, which is available on most custom ROMs but you need to be rooted to install a custom ROM. Apps2sd+ is much better. all apps are automatically installed on the SD card

ljcblink182 likes this.
  9. jay_kay

jay_kay Well-Known Member

Its a setting that has not been built into Android until the Froyo update. Its not true Apps2SD like when you root as there is still a tiny bit of the app left on the phone memory but it means that you can transfer most of it over to the SD card now.

A good way of doing it is getting one of the many apps from the market that scan your apps and tell you which ones can be moved (not all devs have enabled it on their apps so far) I use SDmove and find it really good :)

ljcblink182 likes this.
  10. ljcblink182

I did go out and get the Desire Yesterday. and i am wondering if ther is away to remove a program from the phone (not an app from the market)
    Can I do it from the Phone or do i need to connect it to my computer?

Thanks

11. Roze

Roze Hiding behind a mystery VIP Member

If it's a stock app that came preinstalled on the phone, you cannot uninstall it without rooting your phone.

ljcblink182 likes this.
  12. rx93

rx93 Well-Known Member

My wife got a Galaxy S and I have a Desire. Both are good phones. Galaxy's screen is really nice and I think its touch-screen is more sentitive than my Desire.

However, I love SENSE UI.

13. diS

diS Well-Known Member

Well, i've you install a couple of games some will go to your SD Card leaving 500kb or something on your internal memory. Other will also go to your SD Card but leave 9MB on your internal memory (Like Doodle Bowling, Battle Bears Beta etc.)

If you also download a couple of app you'll need to keep them on your internal memory if they use widgets or if they require to stay in the background like mail applications etc. Those HAVE to be on internal memory.

I think you can imagine what I mean?