• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root HTC Desire, Android 2.2 - Rooting issue with evo3

Hi All,

After a long internet research, I believe I have a problem which is either really unique or really stupid ("Have you tried turning it on and off again" Level).

Background:

I have:
  • HTC Desire (By Telstra)
  • Android Version 2.2
  • Software Number (ROM) - 2.26.841.2

I am trying to Root it using Unrevoked3 (unrEVOked recovery reflash tool v3.32) and get the following message: "Waiting for device. Plug phone in now and enable debugging. Make sure HTC sycn us *not* installed!"

So there is a communication issue, however, when I use the option "Disk drive" without debugging, I can read the Disk Drive.

I have performed all of the below steps:

• USB Debugging mode on
  • Never installed ATK and HTC Sync before on this laptop
  • Turned Phone’s Wi-Fi off
  • Have Disabled installation of non-Market applications by going to Settings > Applications.
  • Made sure to set ‘Charge’ as the default connection type when connecting my phone to the laptop via USB.

The reason I highlighted the fact that I never installed HTC Sync on this laptop is, that the only thing I can think of that might be missing is a driver that comes with it, which stays after you uninstall it (This is so far my only guess of what could be the problem).

I didn't install HTC Sync to verify this theory for two reasons, the request is to have it "uninstalled" and I am restricted from installing it on the laptop I have handy. So before I use a different laptop or try to setup a VMware to verify this, I thought it would be best to pick your brains. By "this" I mean, the action of installing and Uninstalling HTC Sync (to maybe win a needed driver which may be missing).

Any help will be highly appreciated. And to be a bit bold, please try not to direct me to rooting guides or any general troubleshooting knowledge bases, unless you have a good reason to believe it is the same issue.

Thanks so much for your help,

Welcome to the forum :)

We have a guide for using Unrevoked here: http://androidforums.com/desire-all...ked-windows-updated-20th-december-2012-a.html. I've just checked it and the first step is to install HTC Sync (to get the drivers installed) and then uninstall the app (but not the drivers). So I'm afraid you will need to do that after all.

(Yes, I know you said not to direct you to guides, but since the thing you've not done is the first step in that guide I thought it was relevant to do so ;).)

However, before you go any further check your Android version. "2.2" isn't enough information: if it's 2.2.1 or lower you are OK with Unrevoked, otherwise you'll have to use Revolutionary (though if you have hboot 0.93 you can use Revolutionary anyway). If you are interested in having S-Off as well as root I'd recommend just using Revolutionary: we have a guide for that here.

I'll ask one of the mods to move this thread to the Desire All Things Root forum, as that way other rooters are more likely to spot it.

Good luck, and if you have any problems just ask :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones