HTC Desire Battery Life Update

Last Updated:

1. chaoticfury

chaoticfury Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hey Guys,

I know so many people have been complaining about the battery life on the Desire. I did some testing and I have to say I have been getting some pretty good results. I was using the phone for texting, email, light internet usage and phone calls and it is at 3 bars, so yellow and has been up for 83:54:39. I know that seems crazy but it's true. I took it to work for the last two days where I get one bar of 3g if I am lucky. It goes in and out quite often and I was surprised at the lack of battery drain to be honest. Even with my texting which is most of what I do I still have a good amount of battery left. I guess the shocking part is how long it has been up. Granted part of that time it was sleeping obviously in my pocket but it has been awake for probably close to a quarter. Just wanted to let you guys know of my report.

Now I should mention that I was not getting this battery life to start. After reading that task killer article I decided to restore factory settings to my desire and then redo everything. I noticed by doing that my battery life jumped. I am not sure why, maybe I uninstalled something that never really was gone and now it's helping but may be something for people to look into.

Just wanted to let you guys know.

Long live the Desire!

Advertisement
  2. d.knight99

d.knight99 Well-Known Member

83:54:39, you mean your phone has been up for the best part of 3 and a half days without being charged and still has some life left in it?

Errr... How? Do you switch it off overnight or something?

3. chaoticfury

That is the crazy thing. I have not shut it off at all. I have only put it on standby. Like I said this only happened after I set it all back to factory reset. It's sweet. I am trying to take a photo of it but my camera is reflecting to much.

4. EmSixTeen

EmSixTeen Member

No way, my battery lasts like, a day.

5. chaoticfury

This was the best photo I could take of it. I forgot to mention I also listen to music on my walk to work and home. About 20 minutes each way.

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

6. pav4n

pav4n Active Member

Hi, could you link us to the article so we know exacly what your on about and can you say what you red did?

Thanks!

7. chaoticfury

There was a very large article on here the other day. I can't find it anymore so maybe it got removed. This was the article linked in it though.

Droid Den - Android Guide: Should I Use a Task Killer - Droid Den

http://geekfor.me/faq/you-shouldnt-be-using-a-task-killer-with-android/

So here is what I did. I wrote down everything that I had installed. I saved all my contacts and so forth. Then I factory reset the HTC. After doing so, I went through the list and only installed programs I actually was going to use. I did not install the task killer though I do have the trial version of the program they mention in the article. It is quite good and I recommend it.

As far as settings go, I got my email checking every 30 minutes and my brightness on the second level for the control bar. Other than that it's pretty straight forward.

The weird thing is I use to have terrible battery drain at work because I work underground and I get spotty 3G coverage. It moves from one bar to zero throughout the day. After the reset it's hardly noticeable.

I also decided to reseat the SD card and format it and also reseat my sim card. I didn't think they would do anything but I decided to try it. Also using the latest version of HTC Sync. That's about it. If you have any more questions let me know and I will do my best to help. Maybe it's a huge fluke but maybe my HTC is really a transformer? LOL who knows.

8. sookster54

sookster54 Well-Known Member

8 hours awake is hardly using it, mine is up 25 hours and I have 13 hours awake lmao.

9. chaoticfury

It's true but I still think it's pretty impressive. For doing everything I do. Checking weather, reading news, texting, watching youtube videos it's doing pretty well. I guess the entire point was that I never got this kind of success before I formatted. Was just hoping to give people some advice.

10. Wardogz

Wardogz Well-Known Member

I've had 50 hours before but that was with little use, 80+ hours is crazy

11. d.knight99

d.knight99 Well-Known Member

Do you know anyone else with a Desire? It might be an interesting experiment to swap batteries for a few days and see what happens. You might have some super experimental hyper-juiced uber battery that was under development but accidentally made it into your handset. I bet the engineers are going crazy trying to find it....

Ok maybe not, but it could still be a hardware thing?

12. ziggy1024

ziggy1024 Well-Known Member

What does it show if you hit the "Battery Use" tab on the screen shown in your photo?

13. chaoticfury

I wish I knew someone else with a Desire. I am trying to convince all my friends but as soon as I find one I will give it a shot.

I would love to show what is in the use tab but shortly after I posted this I had to charge it to take to work. Sorry I forgot to photograph that.

14. JamesFoster

JamesFoster Active Member

I'm going to ring HTC tomorrow. I will request a replacement SA410 battery. If I play a game of Monopoly 3D (about an hour) or listen to MP3s for about two hours, I use about half the juice.
    I would like to know how much of the maximum 1400mah fully charged I am getting right now.
    I only have about 6 apps installed. None of them run all the time. Notification and syncing is only once every two hours or so.

15. chaoticfury

Yea definitely ask for a replacement. I did notice the longer I used my battery the better it got. Maybe it just takes time.