HTC Desire, best service provider, UK?

Last Updated:

1. Elwood42

Elwood42 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I'm looking for the best service provider for the HTC desire in the UK. I really want to get it from someone who wont brand the case with their logo, or fill the phone up with unwanted advertisements from them, etc.

I've heard terrible things about orange. Is this still the case? My current thought is 3, but like I say, I've no prior experience of their phone branding.

Also an important thought, which one's haven't got the latest firmware update for the Desire yet? should that factor into my decision, or not really, given they should be updating it eventually?

Advertisement
  2. MikeC1408

MikeC1408 Well-Known Member

Choice your provider and then get the phone from Carphone Warehouse.

All their phones are unlocked and unbranded ;)

3. Elwood42

Really? Didn't know that. That is something I'm going to have to really study. Out of interest, do you know if you can get a better deal from them in store as opposed to buying from the website? I only opt for the website route as I know once you go in there, they'l barter with you and try to sell you all kinds of addons.

4. MikeC1408

MikeC1408 Well-Known Member

Couldn't say. I bought mine as handset only as I have a 30% discount on my O2 tariff (left over from a pee'd off iPhone user :) ) and I'll only go direct with O2 to keep this in place.

InfernalByte likes this.
  5. denialnw10

denialnw10 Well-Known Member

I got a pretty good deal with Vodafone online, but I hear their internet allowance has reduced significantly since I set mine up... plus I get 20% discount on line rental with Vodafone due to Vodafone company phone.

Plus Vodafone online also provide their phones unlocked, so I can pop my Three chip in and use the 3gb internet allowance on that when I run up my Voda internet allowances.

6. coos lick

coos lick Well-Known Member

I would also recommend the carphone warehouse route. I got my Desire just over 6 months ago through one of their websites - mobiles.co.uk. It doesn't have any branding or crapware loaded on. I had a payg mobile on orange so ordered an orange phone. When it came, I was able to port over my existing orange phone number with no fuss. One of the other main bonuses was when Froyo came outdone, my phone got the OTA update in the first wave - which felt great. It's nice to have the best phone with the most up to date software.

7. LetoKynes

LetoKynes Member

I've actually been considering getting it from mobiles.co.uk myself.

Would you happen to know whether I'd be able to walk into any Carphone Warehouse store to deal with any problems I have even if I get my contract off mobiles.co.uk?

8. Hippotech

Hippotech Well-Known Member

Got mine from Expansys - also unbranded.

9. Elwood42

This is a concern for me, buying it online who do you talk to if a problem arises?

I only look at buying online to avoid the oh so awkward sales talk.

10. Jason71

Jason71 Well-Known Member

I don't think you can go to CFW if you buy via Mobiles.co.uk but you could ring CFW to check. In my experience Mobiles.co.uk are cheaper than CFW but their customer service does regularly get slated in forums etc. They also used to do annoying stuff like put 1 months free insurance and TMTI cover on the phone both of which you had to cancel to avoid being charged for ( separately of course on 0845 numbers not covered in your plan).

11. LetoKynes

LetoKynes Member

Just dropped them an email a few days ago asking that.

They sent a reply saying that if there was a fault within the first 28 days I would have to get in contact with mobiles.co.uk to arrange an exchange, but after the first 28 days I'd be able to bring it in to any CPW store who would then send it away for repair for you.

Hope that helps :D

12. InfernalByte

InfernalByte Well-Known Member

Alternatively, root. So much more functionality.

13. Casual Pete

Casual Pete Well-Known Member

blacsun, Fergie100284 and alackman like this.
  14. ianb11

ianb11 Well-Known Member

Both the insurances can be cancelled by email.

15. daveycroc

daveycroc Member

Warning.

If you go to Carphone warehouse, or any other 3rd party retailer don't go for T-mobile as your fair use policy of data use will be restricted to 1Gb and your download speed restricted to 350kbps. If you go direct you get 3gb and upwards of 1Mbps at least.

If you want to go for T-Mobile, you will need to weigh up either getting an unlocked phone or a quick connection.

16. coos lick

coos lick Well-Known Member

Not had any problems with it so never had to check. Negative points are they do automatically add 'free trials' for a gadget help line and some insurance. If you don't want these you need to phone to cancel in the first month - which I did and they stopped them with no fuss. I got one of the cash back deals which I was a bit dubious about - you need to send in your 6, 9, and 12 month bills and they supposedly send you a refund cheque. It is a smartphone so I plugged reminders into the calendar. Just downloaded the bill from the orange website and emailed it to them (all via phone!). Got an email back from them that they will send out a cheque within 28 days - which is going to be handy for January. On the whole I would recommend - but don't know what happens if there is a problem.

17. matttye

matttye Well-Known Member

You may also wish to try mobiles.co.uk, which is a sister company of the carphone warehouse.

I got my Desire free from them in a

18. dsw_1234

dsw_1234 New Member

I got my Desire from mobiles.co.uk with a

19. barneystuta

barneystuta Well-Known Member

For me, it comes down to where you live. Check the coverage in your area, certain networks will perform better in certain areas (especially if you live out in the sticks).

I am with T-mobile, but can roam to Orange. I think Orange can do the same with t-mobile, so probably have the best coverage (%age wise). But if o2 have the best signal in your area, go with them.

20. K.P.

K.P. Member

Don't just check coverage maps, try to get friends/coworkers to check the individual places you'll use your phone. Coverage maps made it look like all the major companies were options in my area. But I soon found O2's signal ended at the front door where I work, and Orange was sketchy inside the building. Voda (who I'd been with for years) were clear into the basement (so I stayed with them).

21. deakodude

deakodude Well-Known Member

Do not go for Virgin mobile I did,rubbish customer service,last to get 2.2 update,and more.

22. dickovski

dickovski Member

Bought mine unlocked s/hand cheap off ebay.

As for best provider, you really need to know where you are going to use it and get peoples experiences who use their phones in the same areas.

It has taken me about 4 months to get a carrier that works for me and where I live/work/play. I live in Norwich, hardly make any calls, text quite a bit but use the internet loads.

Started on PAYG with O2

23. APK

APK Active Member

Currently Vodafone have desire for

24. BurnCK

BurnCK Well-Known Member

Got my Desire for free on O2 18month contract @

25. microserfs

microserfs Well-Known Member

Stay away from Orange as the mobile internet signal is absolutely rubbish. Vodafone have proved a lot better in this respect.

I got my phone from Carphone Warehouse, unbranded.