• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root HTC Desire Branding

Pedro7

Android Enthusiast
Jul 31, 2010
hey all, im new to the forums and was just wondering if a few of you guys could help me out.

firstly, i have a htc Desire and must say that im loving the android phone. my phone is with t-mobile, and i get the t-mobile start up screen aswell as the htc start up screen, so im assuming my phone is t-mobile uk branded.

now, my question is, how would i go about debranding the phone, and would this be complicated/problematic for somebody who is new to android..

would problems arise from de branding the phone, and would it become a standard htc desire when debranded?

i ask these questions because i would like to debrand my htc desire so i could get the official 2.2 froyo release starting this weekend, without having to go through the process of rooting which im sure would lead me to have a breakdown :)

cheers

Reactions: paulcooper
hey all, im new to the forums and was just wondering if a few of you guys could help me out.

firstly, i have a htc Desire and must say that im loving the android phone. my phone is with t-mobile, and i get the t-mobile start up screen aswell as the htc start up screen, so im assuming my phone is t-mobile uk branded.

now, my question is, how would i go about debranding the phone, and would this be complicated/problematic for somebody who is new to android..

would problems arise from de branding the phone, and would it become a standard htc desire when debranded?

i ask these questions because i would like to debrand my htc desire so i could get the official 2.2 froyo release starting this weekend, without having to go through the process of rooting which im sure would lead me to have a breakdown :)

cheers

If you debrand your phone the goldcard method it is fairly easy if you use the goldcard tool.
then you would be like a generic phone except for the simlock, in which case by my understanding you should be able to update

Reactions: Pedro7
Upvote 0
so by using the goldcard method, will my phone be unbranded, but still sim locked?

im not too fussed about whether my phone is sim locked or not, i just want it unbranded purely so i can get that official OTA 2.2 froyo update :)

would i need a seperate SD card to create the goldcard?

Upvote 0
so by using the goldcard method, will my phone be unbranded, but still sim locked?

im not too fussed about whether my phone is sim locked or not, i just want it unbranded purely so i can get that official OTA 2.2 froyo update :)

would i need a seperate SD card to create the goldcard?

No m8 your sd card can be used even when its a goldcard, make sure you are certain that you don't want to root.
After you install the ota froyo there is talk of not being able to root afterwards

Upvote 0
well, honestly speaking, im not incredibly tech savvy and i don't really see advantages that i would gain from rooting my phone as a casual user. so to be honest, the fear of possibly not being able to root again doesnt bother me.

so, unbranding it is! :)

is it possible for anything to go wrong with the phone's functionality when unbranding? and what precautions do i need to take?

back up of the current system just in case i need to return to t-mobile?

every bit of advice would be appreciated :)

and you're goldcard tool thread would be sufficient enough no?

Upvote 0
well, honestly speaking, im not incredibly tech savvy and i don't really see advantages that i would gain from rooting my phone as a casual user. so to be honest, the fear of possibly not being able to root again doesnt bother me.

so, unbranding it is! :)

is it possible for anything to go wrong with the phone's functionality when unbranding? and what precautions do i need to take?

back up of the current system just in case i need to return to t-mobile?

every bit of advice would be appreciated :)

and you're goldcard tool thread would be sufficient enough no?

Yes m8 its the easiest way to create a goldcard, good luck & take your time

Upvote 0
a few more questions before i jump into this process and debrand. hey, i might even change my mind afterwards and root ^^

as my phone is t-mo uk branded, can any problems arise from unbranding using this method? if so, is there a compiled list anywhere that i could be pointed to to make sure that it is worth the risk?

does the phone need to be unbranded if i decide to root, and if not, does the phone become unbranded when rooted?

if i decide to un-root the phone, can i flash the stock htc rom back onto the phone resulting in it being unbranded?

sorry for all the questions :)

Upvote 0
a few more questions before i jump into this process and debrand. hey, i might even change my mind afterwards and root ^^

as my phone is t-mo uk branded, can any problems arise from unbranding using this method? if so, is there a compiled list anywhere that i could be pointed to to make sure that it is worth the risk?

does the phone need to be unbranded if i decide to root, and if not, does the phone become unbranded when rooted?

if i decide to un-root the phone, can i flash the stock htc rom back onto the phone resulting in it being unbranded?

sorry for all the questions :)

Thats ok m8 questions are what the forum is all about.

With the goldcard method you can cause the wifi to stop working when you get updated radios, at worst you can end up simlocked forcing you to get the phone unlocked.

Rooting does also unbrand too as you flash a custom rom on your phone.

You can unroot & flash a stock rom back on fairly easily too.

Upvote 0
Thats ok m8 questions are what the forum is all about.

With the goldcard method you can cause the wifi to stop working when you get updated radios, at worst you can end up simlocked forcing you to get the phone unlocked.

Rooting does also unbrand too as you flash a custom rom on your phone.

You can unroot & flash a stock rom back on fairly easily too.

are there any fixes for the wifi if it stops working? would these updated radios come OTA?

im just having trouble understand that once my phone has the original htc rom on it, how things can go wrong?

Upvote 0
are there any fixes for the wifi if it stops working? would these updated radios come OTA?

im just having trouble understand that once my phone has the original htc rom on it, how things can go wrong?

As your phone is unlocked you wont simlock your phone, also if you use the golcard to update your radio you wont get the wifi stop working

Upvote 0
ah, that makes sense..

so debranding means that there's a chance that my phone is going to lock out when i update to 2.2 because the radio gets updated?

yes m8 but thats only using the goldcard method, apparently on the other networks to orange it is a bit hit & miss on the simlock.
Some people get lucky & it works fine, but i find its better to unlock rather than take the chance

Upvote 0
oh alright.. i need to weigh all of my options up now.. i can create a goldcard with say, a 4gb card that came with the phone, and i want to purchase a 16gb card, can i use the goldcard when flashing roms, updating etc, but then use the 16gb card for general use and storage?

Upvote 0
oh alright.. i need to weigh all of my options up now.. i can create a goldcard with say, a 4gb card that came with the phone, and i want to purchase a 16gb card, can i use the goldcard when flashing roms, updating etc, but then use the 16gb card for general use and storage?

You can do it that way if you chose or you can make your 16gb card a gold card & not worry about having to change.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones