HTC Desire compatible in Canada?

Last Updated:

1. Crusher3200

Crusher3200 Active Member This Topic's Starter

I'm planning to buy an unlocked HTC Desire in Hong Kong and bring it back to Canada to use with a regular contract (non data) and I was wondering if it was compatible? As in being able to use it with wifi and not be charged for data. Will the 2.2 froyo update be available to Canada over the air? Any apps or anything compatible? Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. nx1977

nx1977 Well-Known Member

Won't work on 3g only edge

3. Crusher3200

Crusher3200 Active Member This Topic's Starter

I don't plan on using a data plan do it doesn't matter for 3G or edge. Would wifi work in Canada and future updates ?

4. anm00727

anm00727 Member

wifi and updates would work. But why not wait a few days til it comes to canada and buy it off contract. you dont have to use the data either, but its good to have it just incase.
    unless the reason is amoled :p

5. sookster54

sookster54 Well-Known Member

Telus gets the Desire next week (or Sept), so it'll work on Telus and most likely Bell, not sure about Rogers or Fido or Koodo or whatnot. Also this supply of Desire won't have AMOLED, bummer.

6. gr8lats

gr8lats Member

Got my Desire8183 from PersonalDigital in Australia and 3G, HSPDA, texting, Gmail works great on Rogers. Got OTA update to 2.1 a month after setting it up. Check with Rogers for APN settings to enter manually on the phone.

7. Trapperdoggy

Trapperdoggy New Member

I'm looking at buying and HTC Disire here in the UK but I'm leery to as I will be moving back to Canada so I am also concerned about its compatibility. Is it safe to assume, as I've read through this thread, that it will be compatible? Aside from 3G or edge.

8. ennx

ennx Member

A European Desire will not work with a Telus or Bell sim card. Rogers and Fido are fine. I don't know about Wind Mobile and the other new GSM carriers. But telus and Bell, no. That is for sure.

9. runlsd

runlsd Active Member

using an unlocked Telus Desire with Fido. 3G works.

10. nx1977

nx1977 Well-Known Member

Phone will work, but not on 3G.

11. manicguitarist

manicguitarist Active Member

3g works in the UK just fine.

Depending on my location, I get H, 3G, G or E displayed as my dataconnection.

12. bfksc

bfksc Well-Known Member

To be clear, the phone will work for voice calls and texting here in Canada on Rogers, Fido, and Chatr (all owned by Rogers) since they have a GSM and 3G network. But it will NOT work on Bell or Telus or Wind mobile as they do not support GSM at all for voice calls.

Data will work on Rogers, Fido and Chatr, but only 2G EDGE/GPRS on their GSM network. You won't get any kind of data with Bell or Telus since they don't support GSM.

Voice calls, texting, and wifi will all work normally. As for updates, you should be able to get Froyo update over WIFI.

Clear as mud?
    :D

EmperorLu likes this.
  13. Zamboniman

Zamboniman New Member

Not accurate actually. With the Telus/Bell new network it will depend on which frequency bands your phone supports. They will work with Telus/Bell 3G HSPA network if your phone supports UMTS/HSPA 850MHz and/or 1900MHz.

Telus/Bell does not however have an older EDGE system to fall back on if needed.

14. bfksc

bfksc Well-Known Member

That would be correct, except phones sold in Hong Kong do NOT support those bands because the phone wouldn't work for 3G in HK or most other asian and european countries - they use 2100MHz.

While you might be able to find a Desire with NA bands in HK, it's highly unlikely since the HK/China market would have no use for that model. And I doubt retailers would stock NA models for the few Canadians/Americans that happen by looking for a deal.
    ;)
    Right, and if they have a 3G failure of some stature, you won't have phone calls, data, texting, or anything else. You'll still have the right time on the phone, but that's about it.
    :D

15. nx1977

nx1977 Well-Known Member

But this thread is discussing Canadian networks using a UK purchased phone - which will work only on GSM. ;)

16. manicguitarist

manicguitarist Active Member

I'm blond.
    :)
    Hope that covers it.

:)

However, with my wife (and hence my son) both being Canadian, I should know better....