• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HTC Desire Condensation Problems

gingham

Lurker
Oct 19, 2010
I have an HTC Desire, however I started to experience problems with the phone constantly ringing. Sent it to HTC who said it was water damaged (despite it never been near water). It transpires that taking the phone from a cold country to a hot country (UK - Spain and vice versus) causes condensation inside the phone (Admission from HTC). HTC charged a substantial amount for the repair for an obvious design fault. Has anybody else had the same problem?

Never experienced this - and I live in a country that thrives on 19C inside when its 38C outside!

My camera equipment shows obvious lens fog in these conditions, my phone screen has shown similar, but inside the actual phone??

Methinks HTC are stumped themselves and using the UK-Spain travelling as a massive smokescreen. If this was the case, everyone who goes from extreme air-conditioned offices to outside would be having the same problem.

Last time I checked, the UK and Spain weren't that dissimilar in temperatures. :O

Upvote 0
Utter rubbish from whatever HTC rep you were talking to, I'd say. The temperature change wouldn't be dramatic enough, especially considering the journey in between. It's more likely to either be actual water exposure at some point, or some other environmental cause like sweat from a leg (as said earlier) or going somewhere with exceptionally high humidity. Maybe being kept in a jeans pocket when it was raining or something?

Upvote 0
Had my HTC Wildfire for two weeks. Phone just stopped working so took it back to Virgin Mobile where the assistant removed the battery and informed me that the indicator on the battery showed 'water damage'. I informed him the phone had been nowhere near any water at all. I told him however that the phone screen had condensation when I walked my children to school that morning (very cold). Virgin totally dismissed my argument and said there was nothing they could do, warranty was void because of the indicator. So was left with a sim card on a 24 month contract and no phone!!! Went to Carphone Warehouse who confirmed this was quite common and said that if there was water damage the phone wouldn't work at all, which it did as soon as I replaced the battery given to me free of charge by them, which Virgin didn't seem to be able to do. Very dissappointed with Virgin.

Upvote 0
I live in Alaska where outside temperatures this week have been added around -30 Celsius and inside temperatures are around 20 Celsius. I have my phone out on a car charger in the car with no condensation issues. Our air is so dry due to the cold that I am probably not likely to see any problems, though.

One thing that did catch people around here when moisture telltales started being added to phones was having them in areas with high humidity. Especially a bathroom during a shower or a bedroom with a humidifier.

Upvote 0
I have an HTC Desire, however I started to experience problems with the phone constantly ringing. Sent it to HTC who said it was water damaged (despite it never been near water). It transpires that taking the phone from a cold country to a hot country (UK - Spain and vice versus) causes condensation inside the phone (Admission from HTC). HTC charged a substantial amount for the repair for an obvious design fault. Has anybody else had the same problem?

I had a 5800 that got water ingression and I was well & truly %^&*($ off about it = I lost 200quid over that...no guaranteee cover...etc..

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones