HTC Desire - data usage

Last Updated:

1. thommo14

thommo14 New Member This Topic's Starter

Hi chaps, New to the forum, and what an excellent resource for Desire users! I'm about to order the HTC Desire SIM-free as I want to put an Orange Pay As You Go SIM card in it. I've read a lot about the Desire's (well, Android in general I guess) constant data usage and obviously I'm worried about this eating up my credit. I have a couple of questions I hope someone can help answer: 1. Is there settings I can access that will allow me to individually change (and maybe even switch off) the frequency of certain types of data transferred to and from the device? 2. I heard there's a mode for switching off Internet access, but still allow mobile phone calls and texts to sent and received - is this true? Many thanks, T

Advertisement
  2. russoakes

russoakes Member

All of the above is true, once you get it have a look in the settings for accounts and sync you can turn settings on and off from there. Also have a look a the widgets for turning mobile internet access off.

3. chris 290

chris 290 Well-Known Member

You will be fine:

Switchpro widget from the market is excellent and what I use. It adds 7 buttons to switch all things on and off including WiFi, gps etc.

Monitor data usage wih 3d watchdog.

Dl opera mini for mobile data usage as it uses 10th times less data than stock browser. Over WiFi use stock browser myself :)

Enjoy

4. Eris Ed

Eris Ed Well-Known Member

There are basically 2 things you can do to limit/minimise the amout of data your phone needs:

(1) Turn off Mobile Internet - this can be done from the Settings menu, or with a single click using a toggle switch on a Homescreen (available from the Market for free). You can turn it obn again whenever you choose and tap "Sync All" to update all apps and check for email at the same time, then turn internet off again.

(2) Every app has a setting where you can change the update/sync frequency from a few minutes to never. Changing these settings limits your data use, because data is only needed to update/sync the app (like news headlines, or Facebook newsfeed, etc)

Personally, I have a wireless router at home for my home broadband and my Desire connects to wi-fi when I'm at home. Using wi-fi automatically turns off mobile internet/3G so I don't use any of my talk plan data allowance. During the day at work, I have my apps set to update never and I choose when to Sync All, and my email is set to check new messages every 3 hours.

Get an app like 3G Watchdog that shows you in real timke how moch data you have used by day, week and month.

With Mobile Internet turned off, your phone can be used as normal for texts and calls.

5. ducet

ducet Member

I think if I buy a phone able to stay on internet for everything I should choose a plan with unlimited internet usage, like the T-mobile sim card only plans.
    You can go on internet and sync all your data with no headache and you have a lot of
    minutes for calls.

6. snowmobile

snowmobile Well-Known Member

Is that just a temporary arrangement? As above you can switch off the internet but you really won't get the best out of your phone if you do.

7. Eris Ed

Make sure you check the small print for "unlimited" data plans, they are not unlimited. For example, with Orange there is a 500Mb unlimited plan where you can go over your 500Mb monthly allowance but you pay a daily capped rate extra until your next billing date, while their other unlimited plan has a Fair Use Policy of 750Mb per month where you don't pay extra for exceeding the 750Mb, although your service may be restricted if you exceed the FUP every month.

The word "unlimited" actually means that you can exceed your monthly allowance (they won't block your data access) but you will be charged or subject to their Fair Use Policy conditions if you do.

8. Eris Ed

Agreed. I have mobile internet on all the time while not connected to home wi-fi, and I control my data use by changing app sync settings. Seems to work fine with no loss of functionality, and after 4 weeks of use I'm well within my talk plan data allowance (thanks to 3G Watchdog!)

9. thommo14

thommo14 New Member This Topic's Starter

Hi guys, Many thanks for the quick response and helpful information. Can't wait to get my phone! Cheers, T

10. adamkse

adamkse Active Member

i would get one of these internet bolt on things. i only really use the 3g for snyc and the occasional checking of fackbook etc and i used a few hundred meg a month.