HTC Desire from o2 UK using on Vodafone New Zealand

Last Updated:

1. gclements82

gclements82 Member This Topic's Starter

Hi i'm wondering of anyone can help.

Obviously I wouldnt mind a bit of 2.2,
    I bought a Desire from o2 UK and have brought this back to New Zealand with me.
    Software is 1.20.207.3 which I understand is the o2 pre-loaded S/W.
    Vodafone SIM works straight in the phone so its not network locked.

Does anyone know if I will have to wait for the o2 update to 2.2 or can I update with another that will update and remove the o2 software, I dont really need being on a different network now.

Vodafone NZ do not sell the desire so will not be issuing their own 2.2.

Thanks if anyone can answer this one... would hate to think I will miss out in both directions. I'm assuming 2.2 will not update when o2 releases as im not on the o2 network?

Advertisement
  2. Pedro7

Pedro7 Well-Known Member

not sure whether you'll get the o2 carrier update.

if you're brave, you could debrand your phone to the generic stock htc RUU, which means you should be eligible for the OTA 2.2 update (provided its available in NZ, i don't know)

3. Bunjiweb

Bunjiweb Well-Known Member

I think the answe to this would be rooting, but I'd love someone to correct me if I'm wrong as I have an o2 desire with an Orange UK SIM in it and am itching to get 2.2

4. gclements82

Does the OTA 2.2 update have to be from a network update or is this something I can download from HTC website and install myself.

I cant imagine NZ will be on their hot list to get an update, you can only really buy HTC from electrical import shops so there are very few of us flying the HTC flag.

5. gclements82

6. Pedro7

Pedro7 Well-Known Member

if there is an OTA update for NZ, then you could attempt to debrand the phone, which would allow you to get the OTA update. completely up to you mate, you may want to ask a few of the more experienced members here whats the best thing to do and how to do it :)

7. malcster

malcster Well-Known Member

Sort of same for me Vodafone handset normal HTC quietly brilliant start screen o2 sim inside but a vodafone scene in my menu
    Will get o2 or Vodafone 2.2

8. Pedro7

Pedro7 Well-Known Member

you'll get the update from vodafone because you have their software key, and im pretty sure that vodafone will release it. seems stupid not to when competing carriers (t-mobile) are planning on releasing it..

malcster likes this.
  9. robo555

robo555 Active Member

Easiest way would be to go to your phone's Settings menu and check for System software updates.

I'm on Vodafone NZ, got my Desire from a website in NZ, which appears to have been imported from UK. It was able to do a problem free OTA upgrade to Android 2.2. Someone else in the Official Android 2.2 Discussion thread was able to do the same.

10. gclements82

Thanks robo have tried this, umpteen time since 2.2 was banded around - I think because I have the o2 software 1.20.207.3 installed it dosnt recognise.

could I trouble you to tell me your software version (settings -> about phone -> software information)

Again can anyone confirm i have to debrand my phone to rid this software rather than just being able to download a generic HTC s/w version from the website

11. Pedro7

Pedro7 Well-Known Member

well, the phone needs to be debranded using a gold card to be able to flash a generic RUU onto the phone..

12. Pedro7

Pedro7 Well-Known Member

atleast, i think it does :eek: