• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HTC Desire: Global Exchange Address Book

gurmukhp

Jul 12, 2010
Hi there!

I have just got my HTC Desire up and running with my work email. All works well except when I attempt to search my "company directory" there are always 0 results!

I have tried an application called Touchdown (something that many members of this forum have suggested) and can confirm that they address book searching works perfectly fine.

Does anyone know how I can get it to work on the native app? I have the latest HTC Desire firmware with software number 1.21.405.2

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

The company directory is still not working in Android 2.2 at least on my EVO 4G. But the good news is that you dont need it to work. There is a better way. I kept thinking that Google was supposed to be the king of searching, so I could not accept the fact that you cannot atleast search by company name. After doing some digging I found out a way to find contacts by company name.

Press the "+" sign next to "Phone" on your home screen then select "Widgets" next select "Google Search" then select "People" and place the search bar on your home screen. Now you can search your contacts by name, company, number, etc. You can select the contact and see the full contact info for that individual and dial the number from there. You can also have the search pull up related email, texts, etc. when you search for the individuals name.

Upvote 0
You need to make adjustments to "Searchable Items" for it to be of use for finding people and companies. Adjustments: menu button>settings>search>(change "Searchable Items" to things you want "Google Search" to search when set to "All" in the widget menu).

I disabled everything accept Calendar, Mail, Messages, and People. If you leave Web enabled it will automatically search online for everthing when set to "All". I think you are pulling up the widget menu (i.e. pressing the blue "G" button next to search box), which only displays the searchable items you selected in settings. You have to go one level deeper.

After I made the adjustments I set a copy of the widget on my home screen, pressed the blue "G" button and set the search box to "People" only.

You have this same widget on its own separate home screen on Android 2.1 and 2.2. You just have to swipe to the left or right to find the search box.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones