• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HTC Desire HD Battery Life??

OK, done my battery test..

From NEW, after 7 days this is my summary

- 100% at 16:30
- 12% at 09:30
Total time 17 hours

Usage:
- Talking = 39m 59s
- Downloading over WIFI = 1,500Mb (1.5Gb)
- Display Usage = 2h 40m 6s
- TXT In = 1
- TXT out = 3
Wifi Switched off 01:00 to 08:00 (7 hours off)
GPS OFF all time
DATA OFF all time

Skype Running in background all the time

Battery does seem to be getting better even after a week.

I will test the 1600ma OEM next and add here.

GPS, WIFI and 3G takes more power even than some games.
Just only turn on when you need it.

Upvote 0
I'd be wary of batteries over 1600mAH. Sure manufacturers can put in more capacity. But there is a negative side. As you increase charge density, you reduce the number of recharge cycles.

At the rate I'm recharging my 1600mAH Amazon battery I don't expect it to last a year.
I used a battery App to measure its battery life. See previous postings. So why not do the same?
If after a week (new batteries take a few cycles to really settle in) it doesn't measure up, sent it back and complain.

Tip: ask the supplier that the battery they supply is not more than 6 months old. L-ion batteries decay as soon as they're made and you don't want old stock being palmed off in you do you?

Upvote 0
The battery life on my Desire HD was so-so (usually giving me a day) until I installed a new app called LauncherPro. For some reason, now it drains the battery in just a few hours. The bar graphs which show battery drain, indicate that about 90% of the drain is from the display. This shouldn't be possible, as the brightness is turned down. It is plausible however, as the phone is fairly warm, just sitting on idle. I have been having better results lately by manually hitting the power button to put the phone in standby mode. It may be that the screen is going dark without dimming the backlight. In that case, the display functions in LauncherPro are poorly designed.

Nah. I use Launcher Pro too. See my previous posts on my battery life.
Check your bumber case isn't pressing the power button when put into a pocket. A silicon rubber one I first used would do this.

Also turn off autosync and gps, they suck power.

Upvote 0
i have a silly question, i can turn off auto-sync i will miss out the gmails, but how can i still be able to receive twitter and facebook alerts i see no option to keep those on the same time auto-sync is turned off and i see no option to turn off gmail alerts while keeping auto-sync on.

thanks

If you go to settings and then accounts and sync you can choose what programs are to be synced.

Upvote 0
My phone has been transformed today, i'm rocking 9/10 bars and my stats suggest 'Android OS' is now using 5% of my battery, instead of 60% that was typical before.

If your battery is terrible (6/7 hours to drain) I'd strongly suggest removing an app at a time until you hit the jackpot. I targeted the Skype/Sky News (and a couple of others) simply because they seemed to always be running when I looked at apps/services.

It's made one hell of a difference!

I'm not going to charge it now until it dies, I want to see what legs it's got.

Like so many people my HTC news widget stopped updating. HTC said do a hard reset but there were lots on on line comments that this did not work. So just took the widget off and replaced it with Google reader app. I have auto update switched off and just update feeds when I click on the app. Wow huge improvement in battery life. On for 17 hours with moderate use and still 52% left. I do think the secret is to think about what apps and widgets are running.

Upvote 0
3 things to improve battery life:

Uninstall any task killer (especially ATK)
Install Y5 Battery saver - this manages wireless networks
Install Green Power - Manages data connections when screen is off

I have everything syncing, locations on and moderate use of all functions and I get 18 hours out of a full charge.

Don't be a sheep ditch ATK.

Upvote 0
Hihi!

Just bought HDH a wk ago. Just wanna ask your opinion (any1).

Previously, ANDROID SYSTEM uses the most %. (80%)

But now, it uses only 8% while my DISPLAY uses 78%!

Why the sudden switch?

My FB...twitter were on as per normal. SMS like 20-30 per day. Since day 1. But the sudden switch is shocking me.

Any1 knows whether is this the recommended or thr's some problem?

Advance thx!

I dont know if you got yours answered. To reduce batt consumption on Display, lower your screen brightness and youre probably using a live wallpaper. Also, if you are using the big clock, it does take up quite big on display. Its up to you on how you wanna adjust it. I still feel, even after adjusting it, that im getting the full android experience.

Upvote 0
Total unplugged time: 3d 17h 3m 12s
During this time the phone was used:
3G: all the time
Wireless: 2d 5h 58m 40s
Display 2h 15m 17s
Cell standby 3d 16h 57m 49s
Idle phone 3d 14h 42m 32s
Voice calls 14m 12s
Android system 13m 38sa
Angry birds 10m 46s

Weather sync: every 3 hours ; Market Stock- removed ; Facbook/thweeter/Peep2/Friends Streem not at all, Gmail -push

Upvote 0
yesterday was at LFC watching them paste ManC :) but phone was dying rapidly after only 10 hours.

Why does my phone say screen use 69% when its at 30% brightness but my mates desire is 4% with auto screen brightness??

2.3 better sort this else its getting chucked.

Sounds like you're reading a CPU time or simple time used percentage rather than percentage of battery power.

Upvote 0
Have to say my battery got better and better with time.

I now go a full day (usually 1.5, and have done nearly 2 days) with average use. Checking web during the day (every 5 mins on a slow day ;) ), calls, texting etc.

Battery is usually between 80% - 70% by the time I get in from work (if from 100%).

I usually hammer the wifi then before bed, browsing, calls, texts etc. If I make sure I leave 30% (min) on phone I can get through the next day too.

I have 3G on (i did use the 2g/3g thing, but kind of just... stopped). Bluetooth, GPS, Wifi off when not in use - although will leave wifi on when home even when not using).

I DO use app killer - but ONLY to kill apps I know drain my battery (which is only really one). I uncheck ALL other running apps except those I want to stop - downloaded apps, games etc.

Other than that, I don't have an issue. And I too was nearly crying when i first got the phone.... I so nearly didn't keep it.

Glad I did :D

Upvote 0
5656856542_e080b5b279.jpg

Involved:

Checking Facebook(every 15min), GMail Syncing(every 15min), , a few pictures taken and uploaded, Twitter abused, a couple of app downloads from the market, browsing xda using their premium app, a couple of phone calls and a few texts.

Data/WiFi/GPS toggled off unless needed using Extended Control Widget.Brightness manually adjusted but kept on step 2 of a 5 step toggle using Extended Control Widget.

LauncherPro 1 Home Screen, 3 Docks.

1xWidget: Extended ControlMulti Live Wallpaper App for single wallpaper visible in full screen view rather than stretched accross multiple homescreens. WidgetLocker for Homescreen

USB Debugging active and rooted but using stock ROM.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones