• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help HTC Desire HD gps problems

mungylee

Lurker
Jan 25, 2011
Sorry if this has been asked before, but I have just got a new HTC Desire HD and is working great except the phone doesn't seem to be able to get a gps lock. Even after 15-20 mins. I have made sure "use gps satelittes" is switched on, and even switched on "use wireless networks". My last android phone picked me up straight away. But this doesn't. Does anybody know how to fix this? Cheers

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I have just got a new HTC Desire HD and is working great except the phone doesn't seem to be able to get a gps lock. Even after 15-20 mins. I have made sure "use gps satelittes" is switched on, and even switched on "use wireless networks". My last android phone picked me up straight away. But this doesn't. Does anybody know how to fix this? Cheers

I have just had my phone repaired which included upgrade to the latest firmware, I believe (based on Googling) this firmware was pulled by HTC because of sundry issues including SDCARD issues (which I have).

Anyway prior to repair, I had no issues with the GPS, after repair it hardly works. What I have noticed:

1. I think GPS stops when screen turns off
2. If you toggle GPS with a widget then it will get a fix relatively quickly.
3. The GPS doesn't seem to keep the fix as well as it used to...

Its possible I have to "reset" the GPS, I will now go look for an app.

Bye,
Dennis

Upvote 0
I have just had my phone repaired which included upgrade to the latest firmware, I believe (based on Googling) this firmware was pulled by HTC because of sundry issues including SDCARD issues (which I have).

Anyway prior to repair, I had no issues with the GPS, after repair it hardly works. What I have noticed:

1. I think GPS stops when screen turns off
2. If you toggle GPS with a widget then it will get a fix relatively quickly.
3. The GPS doesn't seem to keep the fix as well as it used to...

Its possible I have to "reset" the GPS, I will now go look for an app.

I had exact same problem.

Just got my DHD back from HTC UK after it just died. They replaced the main board so I had to set everything up again but the GPS just would not get a fix. I tried everything already mentioned but sometimes I would get a fix on 3 sat's and then it would just drop.

I resorted to doing a master reset (back up first), then downloaded GPS Status, then go to Menu > Tools > Manage A-GPS State > Reset and then Download.

Now works a treat - just tested again and get 6 Sat's locked on in about 15 seconds.

Upvote 0
I had exact same problem.

I resorted to doing a master reset (back up first), then downloaded GPS Status, then go to Menu > Tools > Manage A-GPS State > Reset and then Download.

Now works a treat - just tested again and get 6 Sat's locked on in about 15 seconds.
Unfortunately that didn't work for me (I assume you meant factory reset, I left that out). I'm pretty sure its firmware.

Upvote 0
i received a new DHD and i was immediately asked to update to the new firmware which i did. I then tried to use my GPS and it wouldnt lock on ever. So i returned the phone and got a new one. When this phone asked me to update to new firmware I didn't and guess what I've have no problems with the gps. It may be a coincidence but i'm not touching new firmware releases for sometime. My phone works fine now and i need my gps working so dont want to take the risk.

Upvote 0
I've never really tried using the GPS except a few times in a car and it never really locked on. And once my brother with the Iphone 3 was using it smooth as silk. And you might find this weird but I just had to get gps working on this at that time so I held the phone UPSIDE DOWN (assuming there's a chip or something at the bottom) and it locked on easily in a few seconds.
But here's the BUG, it lost the connection easily if you moved the phone around and I had to hold upside down everytime to lock onto the satellites. Sad but true :(

Upvote 0
hi for days now havnt been able to locate satellites for gps.....thought the phone had problems due to all the posts......i took off the protective cover i have for the phone silicone and everything worked in 5 seconds . I tired all reboots etc then on off as directed by other users......all came down to the dam cover :)

Upvote 0
well isnt the antenna on the bottom ie where the plastic cover is? still, im having the same issues with the GPS struggling to lock on, will try the various combinations of covers i have inc without and see what happens. I tend to fix my gps issue like the old days with the Hero, i.e. leave the gps toggle on, power the phone off and on, then when i use an app that uses the gps, it picks up! wierd i know...but have a call logged with htc support, they're already recommend me to wipe my sd card...i guess there mush be some kinda gps cache there...either way!!! why is my gps.conf file pointing to notrh america when I'm in the uk dammit??? huffle...

Upvote 0
I was trying to use the GPS but it tells me that my location is 2 blocks from my actual location, so it's not very accurate. My Garmin works to about 4 feet, the phone at least 2 blocks out. Useless application.

You probably didn't even have a GPS Fix (although I once had one that said I was in different country). Its best to use a basic diagnostic tool such as "gps status" that tells you when it has a fix and how accurate it is. Normally yo'd know you had a GPS fix by whether or not the GPS icon was flashing or not but on this phone I believe you can't trust that either...

Upvote 0
Hi All
Having been a happy user for the last few months I to 'lost my gps' capability. After reading many ideas and suggestions I finally decided to root and change my rom. Thoroughly enjoying my new Revolution rom setup but still no gps! Followed lots of the suggestions but all to no avail, tried apps to fix and repair but nothing worked for me. HOWEVER I tried something bizarre and it WORKED for me. I held my phone firmly and gave the side opposite the volume control a few hard thumps against the palm of my other hand and would you believe that the GPS Status app showed views and fixes within a very short time. Back in business again. Reloaded my Co-Pilot and all works as it once used to. My only reasoning behind my result is that there is something connected internally that relies on point contacts for a connection and having lightly 'dropped' my phone a few times, dislodged the contacts and thus lost my gps...

Upvote 0
Hi all,
Here I want to tell my experience with HD Desire GPS to help all those who were (like me) desperate.
The way to solve exists ! Read to the end to know how.

I bought my HD Desire in January 2011 (from Euronics in Rome - Italy) and after one week of use the problems began with the GPS.
It did not fix more ... but above all there were more than 1 or 2 visible satellites ... even in open sky, in good conditions, even outside for 30 minutes.

The phone was obviously still immaculate (without root and with the original ROM and RADIO) then I went back to the shop where I bought ... and using GPS-Status the seller has found that actually did not work.
Very kindly he changed my on the flight the phone ... I installed GPS-Status on the new phone just replaced and now everything works fine (fix in less than 10sec and 7 / 8 satellites visible).

I came at home and for 2/3 days it worked wonders but soon it began again with the same GPS problems.

No more fix and at maximum 2/3 satellites visible. :mad:

Building on the fact that the phone had been replaced and ... GPS Status actually had made a fix in less than 10 seconds ... (When I had replaced) ... I said, Sure ... is certainly a software problem and not an hardware one ... because the phone is a new one.

So I did a factory reset ... reset all settings as the original ... and retried. Nothing. :thinking:

The GPS was dead for the second time in two weeks. :eek:

Then, I began a careful search on various forums (both Italian and international).

I've tried everything ... really everything ... but nothing. It does not work !
Tried GPS-Status (A-GPS Reset, Download), then fasterfix (it.pool.ntp.org) then I started to change ROM (root, S-Off and ENF S-Off), then I tried all possible Radio and RIL in all combinations. Sometimes happen that the fix was very fast and this gave me the illusion (temporary) of having finally found the solution. However, on time (sometimes even after a few minutes) the problem returns back!

I also tried to clean the contacts of the GPS as shown in this video on youTube(YouTube - ‪Desire HD gps antenna swap‬‏). :(
At the end ... after 4 months of trying all... I sent back in warranty the phone to the HTC service (S-ON and leave to unroot because it was under warranty).

After 10 days of impatient waiting, HTC gave me back the phone and say that the GPS was faulty and had been replaced.
I redid a restore using Titanium Backup Pro ... restoring back all in the exact same conditions I had when the GPS was not working.

Now everything works wonderfully !!! :D:D:D
Im using the original ROM (RUU 2.36.405.8), original Radio (12.54.60.25U_26.09.04.11_M2) and the original Kernel (2.6.35.10-g0956377).
Fix in 10/20 sec (everytime), with at least 7 / 8 satellites (tested for several days now). :p

Moral of the story ... There are lots of HTC Desire HD phones (probably the first stock) that today are still in the form of stocks and inventories in some shopping malls / shops with the GPS module that is broken !!! (it works for a few days and then no longer works).

The only way is to send back your phone in warranty and ensure that GPS module is replaced (having first restored with all unroot and S-OFF as otherwise the warranty does not apply).

Believe me ... if you have tried everything ... this is the only way!
Now I'm an happy HTC Desire HD owner (with Gingerbread) with a GPS which is a splinter.
Im currently using Navigator, Google Maps, CoPilot and everything works great !
I hope this post may help and comfort those who are desperate and can not run the GPS on the Desire HD.;)

Greetings to all.
Andrea.

Reactions: spoon54
Upvote 0
My gps/maps are crap as well, it will be about 4 roads away from where i am.

So a GPS tester is best? Or will the "gps status" app do the same thing?

Edit*

Got the Gps test app, sat out side for 5mins and it doesn't do a thing... Yes GPS is on... How can i fix this?

GPS is quite poor on the DHD, it's been suggested that some of the older models have a hardware fault. Also, what's your software version? There's a vodafone branded version out there with issues, but it should have recently been patched.

Upvote 0
Hi All
Having been a happy user for the last few months I to 'lost my gps' capability. After reading many ideas and suggestions I finally decided to root and change my rom. Thoroughly enjoying my new Revolution rom setup but still no gps! Followed lots of the suggestions but all to no avail, tried apps to fix and repair but nothing worked for me. HOWEVER I tried something bizarre and it WORKED for me. I held my phone firmly and gave the side opposite the volume control a few hard thumps against the palm of my other hand and would you believe that the GPS Status app showed views and fixes within a very short time. Back in business again. Reloaded my Co-Pilot and all works as it once used to. My only reasoning behind my result is that there is something connected internally that relies on point contacts for a connection and having lightly 'dropped' my phone a few times, dislodged the contacts and thus lost my gps...

I did exactly as you described and "Voila" I have my GPS back. I also recall to have the phone dropped several times so must be the loose contacts as you said. Thanks

Upvote 0
The following is taken from an email sent to HTC head office in Asia:

I contacted your UK repair centre on numerous occasions (ticket numbers listed below) they have been very unhelpful and slow. My phone Desire HD went for repair on the 8th of August (The phone was previously replaced by Orange)has had two repairs and has been replaced once. When the phone was replaced it took 4 weeks to be delivered after being sign-off by a manager at the centre. I was told by one of the repair centre staff that he didn't think a new phone would fix my GPS issue. I requested that the phone be changed for a newer model. I spoke to a person at the repair centre and was informed that no phone has been sent out to me although i was told a week ago that a phone was being sent out last week and that i would receive it within a few days. This was not true. I sent an email to the repair centre informing them that i intend taking legal action to recover the cost of the phone and expenses incurred. The following is taken from their reply:

"We can confirm that your case is being dealt with some priority since my last communication but the rebuild of the new refurbish unit is taking in place and resent after passing the quality control. In while, I need to remind you, to not build any expectations regarding your recent request, that HTC is not liable to refund phone calls, contracts and unlocking fees. Please see the Disclaimer of Warranty & Limit of Liability for more details."

I am taking this an insult and will publish this response on all forums on the internet that i can find that publish mobile communication information. I have also been asked to forward any communications to Watch Dog and the Guardian news paper.

This is not a one off incident as i have read many forums that have published information on a GPS issue with the Desire HD and i have tested several phone belonging to friends and found that they have the same issue. I have owned 5 other HTC phones without issue and i like your product and am very disappointed that i will not feel comfortable purchasing another.

I have over a year outstanding on my Orange contract and feel that even when you send me a refurbished unit (not a new one as originally promised) i will still have the same issue. I am now at a point that further communication with your company is not only pointless it will only make me feel more frustrated. I no longer wish to own a desire HD because of these issues i have stated this on several occasions and would have thought that it would have been good customer service to have listed to this in the interest of keeping a good customer.
If you don't own an HTC phone don't buy one.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones