HTC Desire HD praised...but still second to SF

Last Updated:

1. saps

saps Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

HTC Desire HD benchmarks beat Froyo N1, ROM ported to HD2

So these guys were gloating over the DHD. Not a bad article. But I did get a kick out of this: The benchmarks confirm our own experience with the handset, which show the Desire HD making a Froyo N1 (which considered one of the fastest Android phones available) look like yesterday

Advertisement
  2. Veez

Veez Well-Known Member

i hope so...

3. tonyb81

tonyb81 Well-Known Member

jroc likes this.
  4. Boxytheboxed

Boxytheboxed Member

Agreed.
    Plus, the SFs high scores are mostly due to the gpu, which, to someone like me who doesnt really play many games, doesnt actually matter in day-to-day use. My SF still lags a lot with the lag "fix" and a quadrent of over 2000

5. wonsae

wonsae Active Member

The high score is due to the i/o not the gpu.

6. Lodingi

Lodingi Well-Known Member

Yup. Let's be truthful to ourselves, who's to say these synthetic benchmarks actually prove the performance of the phone? My daughter's 2.2 DInc scores 34.00 mflops on Linpack. This compared to the 8.00 mflops my Fascinate gets on 2.1. Is her phone 4x faster? I think not.

7. saps

Great stuff guys. Yes, believe I blow a loud trumpet when it comes to not putting much into Quadrant. Thats what made that article I linked so funny. My point was merely that the holistic hardware combination inside the SF is quite up to par compared to anything else out there right now and even some of these new contenders probably will not unseat it

8. yhbae

yhbae Active Member

MFLOPS measures million floating point operations per second. Most apps you use every day don't touch floating point, so that benchmark is less relevant if you are looking for a realistic benchmarks.

On the other hand, Quadrant measures CPU, Memory, IO, 2D and 3D speeds. Granted, the weight between those 5 categories may not always reflect how you use your phone. But they are valid to certain extent. XDA lag fix speeds up IO - if you are using an app that happens to rely a lot on IO, it will be faster. Otherwise, it won't. If you are playing lots of 3D games, then 3D component is important. If you just want general smoothness out of your phone, CPU score is important. etc.

I think at the end, you need to know what the benchmark score means and how to interpret it. IMO, just ignoring it is being ignorant.

If you look at the order of what you see here, I don't think it's totally out of realism:

Smartphone Benchmarks - Compare and submit performance benchmark speeds of HTC, Motorola, Samsung, LG, Sony Ericsson and other smartphones

SF scores high with those patches because of IO and 3D. If you use an app that relies on IO and 3D (like 3D games), it will play better than other phones.

Perhaps the best way to publish these benchmarks is to show its 5 components individually so that you can better weigh each component to how you use your phone.

irish likes this.
  9. PJnc284

PJnc284 Well-Known Member

The free Quadrant Standard version is overrated imo. It's way too easy to artificially inflate the numbers as was shown by Cyanogen a while back.

jroc likes this.
  10. yhbae

yhbae Active Member

Just because it can be artificially inflated doesn't mean everyone do it. Yes, it is easy to do it, but if you see multiple people with similar setup producing similar numbers, you know they are not artificially inflated. If you want to see any value in these benchmark numbers, you want to ignore these.

11. ckochinsky125

ckochinsky125 Banned

Yeah but the fascinate is also on 2.1 and the HD is on 2.2

12. ghdtpdna

ghdtpdna Well-Known Member

You are implying that Froyo will do as much to hummingbird phones as to snapdragon phones. Omap based phones barely saw much increase in their quadrant scores. Droid X went up by less than 200.

13. PJnc284

PJnc284 Well-Known Member

Either way, people still put too much into these silly numbers especially when 90% of them have no clue what goes into those numbers. An overclocked Droid @ 1GHz can beat out any of the current quadrant scores. Does it mean it's better? Heck no but some will surely believe it. You can have all of the pretty numbers you want but if there's a lot more than Quadrant scores that make a phone good.

14. ckochinsky125

ckochinsky125 Banned

Im just saying you said you cant compare a rooted phone to a non rooted phone and with that logic then you cant compare them anyway since one is on the older software version

15. ghdtpdna

ghdtpdna Well-Known Member

What are you talking about?
    I never said anything about a rooted phone.
    Please read before you post.

16. ckochinsky125

ckochinsky125 Banned

Sorry i quoted the wrong thing i was basing that towards tonyb81 dont get ur panties in a bunch

17. saps

Easy does it gents