1. Welcome to the newer, better version of Android Forums! Be sure to see the announcement and enjoy checking it out!

Some of you have been having login issues. - Please try now. Sorry for the trouble!
  2. All attachments uploaded on the first day of this new look need to be re-uploaded, or will appear broken. All prior to that, and all going forward, should work fine. We apologize for the inconvenience!

Htc desire hd - stuck on boot screen

1. ben1991

ben1991 New Member

Hi Guys,

Bit of a newbie here, I've looked through your forums and others, but pretty sure I've not come across the same problem I'm experiencing.

Basically my HTC won't start up, you press the power button and all you will get is the HTC logo, and sometimes it will just continuously restart but always get stuck on the same HTC logo startup screen.

I've not rooted or even attempted to mess around with any of the software/firmware, etc. So it can't be anything to do with that.

I've attempted to factory reset and recover the device through the android screen that you can get through holding down the volume button, but none of this has worked either.

I've had the phone for about 2 years, with no problems until now. I believe the version of android is 2.2 or 2.3. Not 100% sure though.

Can anyone help me???

Thanks,

Ben

Advertisement
  2. Harry2

Harry2 Well-Known Member

Shut down the phone and remove the battery for several minutes.

Harry
  3. greenwood03

greenwood03 Member

watching this with interest as my HD did a software update friday and niow is stuck in what i believe is the 'boot loop'''with just teh HTC logo. Tried the recovery liek you but its not having any of it.....so spent hours trying to understand hiow teh heck one does a refresh etc of the RUU which i gather is the way forward.....
  4. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary Moderator

Welcome to the AndroidForums Ben and greenwood03.

I've reached-out to some fellow staffers in the hopes that they have some ideas that might be helpful to you.

No promises, but there's some smart folks that may pop in :).

Cheers and thanks for signing-up with us here at AF.
    D-U-R-X and scotty85 like this.
  5. Granite1

Granite1 Zercron Encrusted Tweezer Moderator

Ok, lets give this a try.

The android screen you went to by holding the volume down and the power button, that is called the hboot, or bootloader screen. Has a picture of Andy riding a skateboard at the bottom.

OK, now while on this screen use the volume buttons to highlight RECOVERY , press power to select.

Wait a hot second until a red triangle with an exclamation mark appears, this is normal. This is the stock recovery.

Now press and hold both volume up and volume down and press and hold the power button all at the same time. You should be taken to another menu, this menu should have a few options. I don't have the HD, so your options may differ slightly.

In here there should be an option to Wipe or CLEAR CACHE, press power to select.

There should also be an option to CLEAR STORAGE, press power to select this as well.

Then select REBOOT, or just pull the battery and re-insert, then reboot.

See if that works, if not we may need to find a copy of the official RUU and get it on your SD card. From there we can flash it from the stock recovery, if it's indeed the official RUU with HTC's keys.

In the mean time, I'll PM our resident HTC guru...Scotty
  6. scotty85

scotty85 Guides Guide

definately try granites advice above.

if you are still not booting afterward, a couple of questions:

1)you are stable in the hboot screen(white,colored letters), correct?

2) are either of you experiencing 7 short vibrations when trying to boot?

the next step in attempting recovery would be to try and run an RUU to relfash factory software. since you are unrooted,and unmodified we will need to try and find a compatible ruu to run,since the phone will be doing several security checks.

if you can do the following,and post back the output,we can try and find the correct ruus for you to run.
  7. greenwood03

greenwood03 Member

OK guys firstly - thanks for lending some wisdom, its appreciated! I followed the steps advised: cache/data-storage etc and nothing changed, still hangs on that initial HTC logo page.
    The phone emits 1 vibration when tring to boot - just as it used to before this all went wrong.

here's the info copied from CMD as per instruction - ( for any recovery in case you need to know its windows xp sp3 that i'm using, and although the pc has card reader i am not able to access the micro sd card on this pc nor others that i have....can always buy an external reader if that makes any difference).

C:\Documents and Settings\mark>cd c:\mini-adb

C:\mini-adb>fastboot devices
    HT0CMRX13730 fastboot

C:\mini-adb>fastboot getvar all
    INFOversion: 0.5
    INFOversion-bootloader: 2.00.0027
    INFOversion-baseband: 26.14.52.27
    INFOversion-cpld: None
    INFOversion-microp: 0438
    INFOversion-main: 3.13.161.5
    INFOserialno: HT0CMRX13730
    INFOimei: [removed by Mod]
    INFOproduct: ace
    INFOplatform: HBOOT-7230
    INFOmodelid: PD9810000
    INFOcidnum: VODAP001
    INFObattery-status: good
    INFObattery-voltage: 4113mV
    INFOpartition-layout: Generic
    INFOsecurity: on
    INFObuild-mode: SHIP
    INFOboot-mode: FASTBOOT
    INFOcommitno-bootloader: 743ca94a
    INFOhbootpreupdate: 11
    INFOgencheckpt: 0
    INFOregion-id: 0
    all: Done!
    finished. total time: 0.000s

Guys......obviously first and foremost hoping to get the phone working again, then will gladly listen to any advice about how/what to do to make life more simple to avoid these issues in the future!!!!
    cheers
    Mark
  8. ral

ral Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info. Scotty85 will drop by soon and can identify a good ROM for you based on the info you provided.
  9. scotty85

scotty85 Guides Guide

in finding an ruu to run on a stock phone,2 important criteria must me met:
    1) the main version must be equal to or higher than what you have
    2) the rom must be compatible with your CID(carrier id)

i will do some more searching later,but a quick search in the usual spots doesnt show your exact ruu. :( if we cannot find it,we have a couple of options:
    1)unlock the bootloader thru htcdev and install a recovery. we can enter a few adb commands with the phone in recovery,and change the main version to a lower number,so we can flash an older ruu

2)create a "gold card" so we can flash a different carriers RUU. there are a couple that are higher build numbers,but for different carriers here: Shipped ROMs unfortunately,youll need another android phone with an sd card to create the gold card.

gold card directions: HTC Desire: Updating To Froyo (Official OTA) For Network Branded Handsets | Mike Southby

3)combination of 1 and 2 :)

in order to accomplish 1,we need to find an ruu with the same carrie id as yours. i.e.,the build number will contain the "161"... x.xx.161.x

im off to work,but ill search for ruus later if you guys dont have any luck. failing that,i can help if you want to procede with one of the other options above :)
  10. ral

ral Well-Known Member

Will see what I come up with. But will PM you any links I find. Much batting average at identifying the correct ROM is about 0.500. Great if it was a Baseball statistic... A bit iffy for this kind of work.
    scotty85 likes this.
  11. ral

ral Well-Known Member

Have had no luck finding a ROM with main version higher than: 3.13.161.5 :dontknow:
    scotty85 likes this.
  12. scotty85

scotty85 Guides Guide

How about one lower(containing the 161)?
  13. D-U-R-X

D-U-R-X turbo drinker Moderator

Would the 161 pertain to carrier branding? I believe that 405 is HTC unbranded, isn't it?
    scotty85 and ral like this.
  14. scotty85

scotty85 Guides Guide

Correct :)

Others may work,but if the build number cntains the 161 we could be 100% sure it woukd pass the cid check without a gold card :)
    Granite1, ral and D-U-R-X like this.
  15. greenwood03

greenwood03 Member

guys i'll trawl the net as best i can, but to save going off in the wrong direction i believe the '161' element refers to the fact\ that the RUU is UK Vodafone.....so we'relooking for an RUU that has the 161 part AND is the same version 3.13. ''161'' .5 or 'higher' - which part denotes higher/newer? the .5 or the 3.13?

Scotty....if all does fail would welcome some step by step pointers. i dont have easy access to another 'droid' based phone, so if a work around is indeed required ideally would prefer to avoid teh ghold card\ method, even if it means a couple of steps: regressing and then perhaps starting afresh once the phone is working.
    Granite1, scary alien and scotty85 like this.
  16. damo99078

damo99078 Member

Hi guys watching this with interest because im having the same problems as ben and greenwood. Did it happen to you guys when installing the prompted system update? I installed the update and from that point on all i get is the HTC logo
  17. greenwood03

greenwood03 Member

found this on htc dev site -
    Desire HD
    Vodafone
    UK
    MR
    v2.3 88.5 MB 3.13.161.3
    would that work as a downgrade?
    still searching........
  18. scotty85

scotty85 Guides Guide

Anything with 161 in the build number could be utilitized,and we can check any vodaphone labled ruus
  19. scotty85

scotty85 Guides Guide

Yes! Can you provide a link?
  20. greenwood03

greenwood03 Member

Damo - yes it died during a 'proper' update on friday.

Scotty.....i found it here, but now for some reason i can't access the right page! Developer Center at HTCdev i searched: desire, vodafone uk
  21. scotty85

scotty85 Guides Guide

ooooooh.... Unfortunately, that is just the bootloader,not a full ruu :(
  22. scotty85

scotty85 Guides Guide

in order for the ruu to mass the main version check,the whole thing will have to be numerically higher. for example:
    3.13.161.5>3.13.161.3
    3.13.468.2>3.13.161.5

ive been searching,and unable to come up with an ruu that contains "voda" in the name,or 161 in the build number. this is not looking so good for you to do a simple main version change :(

i will keep searching,but at this point it looks like your best option will be to make a gold card. that way,you have a couple higher ruus that will pass the main version check,and we can always lower it and try a lower different carrier version.

unfortunately,youll need an android phone to find the cid of the sd card that you want to use.

if you can make a gold card,then you can just try this ruu: Shipped ROMs

and if that fails,you could try this one: Shipped ROMs
    Granite1, D-U-R-X and scary alien like this.
  23. Granite1

Granite1 Zercron Encrusted Tweezer Moderator

Hey Scotty, why don't we just get the bootloader unlocked, load a recovery and wipe the cache and dalvik cache, see if that works, then flash a rom from there if it doesn't?

I know the phone will still be S-on, so couldn't we just flash the kernel through fastboot after the rom install?

Also, is there a copy of the exact same RUU currently on the phone anywhere on the interwebz? We can flash it from the stock recovery if it's on the SD card.

I'm firing in 25 different directions right now, so I may not be making sense.
    scotty85 likes this.
  24. scotty85

scotty85 Guides Guide

yup,thats certainly an option. the stock recovery is able to wipe things that a custom recovery cannot,so its unlikely that wipes in recovery will do much different. a if something is fudged up with system or boot,then reflashing a rom would certainly fix it,but unfortunately its been my experince in these situations that is usually not the case. :(

unlocking the bootloader and installing a recovery are part of the master plan anyway ;) as we can use adb in recovery to change the main version.

i was hoping to find an ruu we could use to downgrade to,prior to getting into the unlocking and recovery flashing,so as not to overwhelm with directions. however, its not looking so good for finding an ruu to work... not only can we not find his exact one,but we cant seem to find one that will pass his CID check at all! :eek:

greenwood03,for lack of other options at this point,if youd like to unlock your bootloader and flash a recovery while we try and find ruus,or figure out a way to make a gold card,you are certainly welcome to. we can then walk you thru flashing the rom and boot image.

below are some "universal" directions for htcdev unlock and flashing recovery. holler if you have questions about them,and use this for recovery:
    PD98IMG_ace_recovery_ext_4.zip

the drivers you allready have,along with miniadb since you did the above comands to get us the "getvar all" output :)

you wont be able to follow exactly,as you dont have a bootable OS. that shouldnt be a big deal,you can unlock your bootloader and install recovery with the state that your phone is in. just skip over the commands that start "adb... :)"

25. ral

ral Well-Known Member

Here is what I found so far:

VodafonROM.rar HTC Desire HD - Vodafone Branding wiederherstellen ohne RUU [Anleitung] - I don't know exactly what it is.

RUU_Ace_Sense30_S_hTC_Asia_WWE_3.13.707.4_R_Radio_12.65.60.29_26.14.04.28_M.exe LINK SHIP ROM (WWE) CHO HTC DESIRE HD ★ - Trang 3 - Wrong ROM but it is the only 3.13 I can find.
    Granite1 and scotty85 like this.