• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HTC Desire HD vs IPhone4?

Hiya just signed up to this site. I Have had every iPhone apart from 3GS have the 4 now from the 1st on November I am going to buy a htc desire hd I love the fact I can send friends songs,pictures,videos free every song you buy on iTunes is 99p. My girlfriend has a really low android phone she is playing the brand new track on the radio I am still waiting for the artist to bring them out I love what google are doing with android. The screen on the IP4 is brilliant.it looks fantastic. The apps are brill. Android Stuff FREE.hope this helps 

Upvote 0
Not really. Reading that post back I have to ask.....are you on speed? lol

Grammar FTW.

Had a play with a mate's iPhone4 the other day and I can't say I'm bothered by it at all. He was a die-hard Apple fanboy til I showed him around my fully-customised DHD with all it's bells, whistles and widgets. He wants a DHD now........:D

Upvote 0
My wife has an iPhone 4, I have had my DHD for a couple days now.

I was toying with the iPhone4, but as a lot of people have mentioned, I hate the way Apple dictate what I can and can't do on the phone. No personalisation besides a wallpaper. The screen is great, no doubt about it. The DHD doesn't have a front facing camera which she loves, but I don't need.

The thing is though, after having the DHD, her iPhone looks like a toy. It's OS seems so very simple which may be good for some people, but after using both, the iPhone is TOO simple... When you buy an iPhone, what you get then, is what you will have in 2 years. I love the fact that Android can be customised as much as I want and updated. Chances are, most DHD owners will have a new interface every few months or whenever they decide to change it.

Upvote 0
DHD all the way.
Use a lot between charges = spare battery
Need a lot of storage = change memory cards

Has more RAM. Has full Flash support. Android Market WILL over take App Store soon.
As previously mentioned, fully customisable & general versatility, can access memory card via explorer.

Everybody's iPhone is essentially the same, that can't be said for Android phones, & the DHD is the best of the lot by my reckoning.

Upvote 0
Iphone 4 is better for the appstore, but the way that apple controls it is just annoying.
The desire hd has a better camera, it records in hd ffs, and the pics once you have lowered the exposure and sorted other settings are just sublime, the processor in the hd is better than pretty much any phone out there today, the screen is superb and massive, and although samsung has the amoled and the iphone has the retina, the hd's screen is vibrant and very clear and you just don't give a hoot about things like that when you have this beast in your hand. It truly is a marvel of a phone and if you asked me do i want to swap my desire hd for an iphone a galaxy or any other phone on the market at the moment i would tell you a very big resounding NO. The hd for me and for many others is the phone to have nowadays, the iphone and the galaxy just don't measure up.

Get the desire HD and keep it for a week and then send it back, get an iphone do the same, get a galaxy. Trust me the HD will win you over, the galaxy is cheap feeling and has a pants camera, the iphone? Well it's an iphone, it's restricted and small and just crap.

Upvote 0
Couple things. First of all, the 8MP camera on the Desire will not be better than the iPhone's camera. HTC puts 8MPs on their cameras as a marketing ploy. The rest of the cameras hardware doesnt measure up.

With that being said, I'd choose almost any android phone over an iPhone... and the Desire HD looks amaaaaaaazing.

The camera on the desire Hd is amazing? What are you talking about?
The iphones camera is satisfactory, if you don't have the hd then how can you make a statement like that?
I've had the phone a while now and i can tell you that the pics i have taken are of superb quality, granted i had to take the exposure down but that's all i did.
The video on the hd is literally HD lol, so don't tell people that its not as good as an iphones as that's simply misleading.

Reactions: Mr. Lion
Upvote 0
Is there any chance any users here experienced Iphone 4 and Desire HD together might share experiences especially in terms of battery performance.

I am presuming that same person has got the same requirements (like 1 hour apps, 1 hour text, 1 hour mail or surf etc...) and would be much welcome to hear the differences on battery consuming.

My wife has iPhone, I have DHD. Her battery life is better. Now that I have played with settings, I am getting about 1.5days out of it, she probably gets 2 days out of hers but maybe uses it a little more than me. Not a scientific test, but it's fair to say she is getting around 25% more than me.

Reactions: eozen81
Upvote 0
well, im not, not in the 18 months ive had with my HTC hero have i ever had the need for flash when hitting a webpage. some ppl say but im missing out on all the games? but i have the market and apps for that.

for me its a nice feature, adding to a web browsing experience, but not essential?

So you've never been on facebook and one of your friends has uploaded a video you wanted to see but ahhh u couldn't because you have no flash support, or you've been reading a newspaper article which has a video attached but you couldn't see the video cos you have no flash support, or your on gamespot or something like that with a trailer but you couldn't watch it and had to navigate to you tube by opening up a separate application. Come on m8, it's about ease of use, ive used the flash player on my desire hd plenty of times, it's brilliant. This is just one of the many little things which adds up to make the hd one superb phone.

Upvote 0
So you've never been on facebook and one of your friends has uploaded a video you wanted to see but ahhh u couldn't because you have no flash support, or you've been reading a newspaper article which has a video attached but you couldn't see the video cos you have no flash support, or your on gamespot or something like that with a trailer but you couldn't watch it and had to navigate to you tube by opening up a separate application. Come on m8, it's about ease of use, ive used the flash player on my desire hd plenty of times, it's brilliant. This is just one of the many little things which adds up to make the hd one superb phone.

lol fair doos i see your points with those. Thing is, i do neither of those (at the moment! lol) so never was a consideration. when im on the move i'll just do simple browsing like phandroid or reading the news or summin. I save the heavy vid sesions when i get home, no biggie for me (for now that is :p)

Upvote 0
My wife has iPhone, I have DHD. Her battery life is better. Now that I have played with settings, I am getting about 1.5days out of it, she probably gets 2 days out of hers but maybe uses it a little more than me. Not a scientific test, but it's fair to say she is getting around 25% more than me.
Based on my experience with my 2years old iPhone 3G and my one week old Desire HD, I would say my iPhone battery lasts 3 times longer than my DHD. Right now I would even say 4 times longer, but I want to play it safe and say 3.

Upvote 0
lol fair doos i see your points with those. Thing is, i do neither of those (at the moment! lol) so never was a consideration. when im on the move i'll just do simple browsing like phandroid or reading the news or summin. I save the heavy vid sesions when i get home, no biggie for me (for now that is :p)

No I hear u m8, the point im making is that it's there when you need it. But yes u can live without it .

Upvote 0
I own and love a Desire HD. I have played around with the iPhone 4. After a few weeks of use you get a feel of the great stuff, the aweful stuff and the minor niggles.

Great:
* Locations, downloadable maps etc
* Contact list with integration with everything (Facebook,Twitter, email, sms,phone, etc) under a single contact and auto photodownload from Facebook. Simply awesome and better than the iPhone app as far as I've seen.
* Single inbox
* Multiple Scene sets

Not so great
* Speaker volume is pretty low
* Phone speaker volume is ok but not great in noisy surroundings
* Battery life sucks
* Gmail inbox is not integrated with central inbox
* Car navigation offers free badly spoken Google navigation, free unspoken Route 66 navigation and paid spoken Route 66 navigation. But it only offers Google and premium from the carpanel, not free unspoken.
* Calendar Agenda view can't be put on a page as a widget
* Folders don't show small icons of what's in them like on the iPhone. They don't seem very smart either. An auto close type feature would be nice.

Niggles
* Photo Album widget is a bit slow and unresponsive sometimes
* The apps list doesn't slide page-by-page like on the iPhone but continuous. Given the screen size that makes the amount of items on screen a bit overwhelming
* Not possible to modify RSS addresses
* Translator app doesn't allow switching from/to language

I think the screen of the iPhone 4 is much better than that of the HD, but on its own, the HD screen looks pretty impressive. So AFAIC it's a question of good enough.

For me the ultimate test for this phone was: does it make my life easier and does it do as promised. Yes in spades! Especially the way in which GPS integration is used in a lot of apps to offer me choices of what's near (public transport, food, parkings etc), saves a lot of time and even makes working on a phone at times faster than on a PC, which was a big surprise to me.

Upvote 0
* Folders don't show small icons of what's in them like on the iPhone. They don't seem very smart either. An auto close type feature would be nice.

Given the screen size that makes the amount of items on screen a bit overwhelming

You can name your folders and if you make a folder, shouldn't you know what you put in them?

So you can have a whole bunch of icons on the iphone but Android can let you control how you customize the phone to your liking. How is that an issue,if you can remove the widgets ?

Upvote 0
If i could go back in time i wouldve gotten an Iphone 4.. but i cant go back to such a small screen even if it looks gorgeous ( thanks htc hd for spoiling me -.-)
But the battery on the desire hd is a dealbreaker... i have to plug it in every single day only after a few hours of use, and it is just unacceptable
Go with the iphone 4 if you havent decide yet!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones