Advertisement
  2. kboya

kboya Well-Known Member

Ha-ha, well, things always move on!

3. Mik3h

Mik3h Well-Known Member

4. Nodders

Nodders Well-Known Member

Looks a bit of a weak upgrade tbh. Thank my Godfathers for that - it means I wont have instant phone envy come October:)

Edit: Although thinking about it, that Oct date is interesting. It would be interesting to see when HTC release 2.2 on the current Desire or will they slip it a bit to well beyond the release of the HD? Not that I care, I'm a recent convert to custom ROMs so I'm already froyod up, but it will be interesting to see if HTC have learned their lesson from the Hero fiasco.

5. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

it will be basically the same phone software wise, so i imagine the 2.2 sense build will work on both the same.

6. Phenomenological

Phenomenological Well-Known Member

Doesn't the current desire use a snapdragon processor, or am I imagining things? Swapping the processor is a big change if I'm not. I wonder why they've done it?

7. Nodders

It uses the same processor. The only notable improvements I can see is the sound capability and the camera. Everything else is fluff or doable via ROMs isn't it?

8. Bully74uk

Bully74uk Well-Known Member

Not exciting enough to give me wood ! :D

9. julianb

julianb Active Member

Having another horse in the stables is great but why the hell don't these companies concentrate on more vital problems- battery longevity, smooth UI, better WiFi/3G receivers and so on...

Instead they enlarge the screen size, add more and more powerful CPUs (Qualcomm recently discussed new dual core 1GHz CPU for mobile phones), stick with laggy UIs (thanks for LauncherPro and similar in this regard).

Oh well...

10. d.knight99

d.knight99 Well-Known Member

The one thing the Desire needs is a facelift. I mean, compared to the lovely black glass and aluminium body of the new iPhone for example or it's little brother the Legend the Desire isn't what you'd call 'pretty'.

It's not so hideously ugly you'd be embarrassed to get it out around people but it's styling is definitely not one of it's selling points! The brown/purple/bronze-ish plastic really doesn't put it in the same class as many other handsets on aesthetic level.

julianb makes a very good point though, HTC are SO close to making, dare I say it... the 'perfect' handsets? But of course, being a big company profits come first and the only way to keep those nice and rosy is to release loads of products in quick succession. Having only had my Desire I won't be upgrading to this HD version, although it will likely cause a substantial amount of phone envy if the styling is up to scratch!

11. Phenomenological

Phenomenological Well-Known Member

Utterly personal opinion. I prefer the Desire's styling to that of the new iPhone because it's subtle and measured. It's designed to look sleek but inconspicuous, whereas the iPhone is designed to yell 'Look at me, I'm expensive', which irritates the hell out of me.

12. d.knight99

d.knight99 Well-Known Member

Of course, styling is totally up to the individual.

And hey, I'm all for minimalist understatement and agree that 'Look at me!!' styling is not cool. However I think the iPhone is pretty understated itself. Clean lines, simplistic design, complementing materials and textures. It hasn't exactly been machine gunned with Diamonds or dipped in gold, so I can't see how you can say it 'yells' anything other than just a good sense of style. Luckily there is more to a phone than how it looks (which is why I own a Desire!) I think the reason most people perceive the iPhones design as pretentious isn't because of the design itself, but the behaviour of it's owners.

And yes, the iPhone does look expensive, as does a bespoke suit from Saville Row or an Aston Martin, but looking expensive isn't a synonym for vulgar or flash. ;)

13. nacatomi

nacatomi Well-Known Member

Sounds like I'll be happier with my Desire. Larger screen or not I dont think I'd want to carry around anything much bigger thane the desire. Would be like going back to my HTC MDA III WM2003 phone. That was a beast of a phone and wasn't very pocket friendly. For me I think the desire has pretty much hit it on the head with its styling and size, If anything I think they should be looking at increasing the res slightly rather than the size.

14. Akalatengo

Akalatengo Well-Known Member

to me is just to big, I wonder how much it weights?

15. partridge

partridge Well-Known Member

Personally I reckon this will be sold as the HTC Ace, not Desire HD.

The Ace turned up on an HTC release schedule with no details at all, but the smart money is that this is actually the Evo 4G re-named for the European market.

I think it is very unlikely HTC would give another phone the Desire name, they've not done it before afaik.

So my money is on this being the Evo4G renamed the HTC Ace for Europe.

BUT, while some of the specs are improved, I'm sure I read that the Evo doesn't have an OLED screen... And the Evo has a weird ridged back plate too, it's not flat

As long as I get 2.2. soon, I'm not worried by this new release. It's inevitable that HTC will release something "better" eventually but this is more of an incremental update than a brand new uber-phone.

16. SupremeBeaver

SupremeBeaver Well-Known Member

What i find most disappointing about this phone is that its keeping the same CPU which pales in comparison to Samsung's Hummingbird and Moto's OMAP. Cmon HTC we need those new dual cores (and preferably a dedicated GPU). Other than that this is the phone i've been waiting for.

17. Jammy

Jammy Well-Known Member

I'm just glad that we'll finally have a 4.3" Android device here in Europe :)

18. Nodders

No front facing camera though, at least on these specs

19. Akalatengo

Akalatengo Well-Known Member

I would love to see the external speakers at the front