HTC Desire HDSupport

Last Updated:

1. Cyanogen

Cyanogen New Member This Topic's Starter

I Need Help, I Think.
    I have a htc desire hd and i am experiencing lag :(
    its kinda bad and i dont know why?? the only on going applications i have are screebl and batter indicator pro! :( please help!

Advertisement
  2. ElasticNinja

ElasticNinja Well-Known Member

OMG its Cyanogen! :eek:

J/K :)

Welcome to AF

3. Martimus

Martimus One bite at a time... Moderator

Welcome to the Android Forums!

4. Cyanogen

Cyanogen New Member This Topic's Starter

hehe thanks guys! :) surprised the nickname ain't taken ;O

5. miophone

miophone Active Member

i've had this problem for the past 36 hours... i've uninstalled all my apps, removed every widget from the sense screens... but it's lagging so bad.

6. PhippsyB

PhippsyB Active Member

I assume you've tried resetting to factory defaults?

7. Brewster0101

Brewster0101 Well-Known Member

I am getting this problem too after using my DHD for three days. Very little running, but menus are slow and jerky...

seems this phone has a few bugs.

8. Lalaland

Lalaland Well-Known Member

Install a cache cleaner and run that (run's better if the handset is rooted) and you'll see the lag issues vanish. I was getting them, now I have no issues at all.

anneatkins likes this.
  9. anneatkins

anneatkins Well-Known Member

No lag here, but that was a helpful post, so thanks!

10. layne

layne Member

What cache cleaner are you using??
    What did you use to root??
    Is it still appearing to be fixed or did the lag come back??

11. directmail

directmail New Member

foggy_lad likes this.
  12. Lalaland

Lalaland Well-Known Member

The cache cleaner is a freebie one from the market, I can't remember it's name at present but it comes with a handy widget that makes keeping an eye on the situation easy enough.

I used the tool being discussed in the rooting area of this forum to root the handset.

The lag's stayed away, no problems since :)

13. p111nad

p111nad New Member

Go to menu, settings, applications, development, then tick the usb debugging.
    That will cure the slowness on your phone, it worked for me.

14. garethg

garethg New Member

This seemed to work fro me....but why/how

15. est1984

est1984 Member

usb debugging doesn't do much. my desire only is smooth when its charged up to the max... im running no programs in the background and then ive turned every sort of connectivity off. even my battery just drains like anything, i attempt to charge it twice a day.

16. septimus75

septimus75 New Member

The USB de-bugging worked for me too.

17. TheBrit

TheBrit Well-Known Member

Sounds like you're using a task killer. Don't, Fro-Yo does its own task management and all task killers achieve is a flat battery as they work against Android's own memory management.

18. Shonan

Shonan Well-Known Member

the best tip going :D

19. Gardium

Gardium Well-Known Member

Froyo does not come with an app that does task management (at least not a suitable one, you can go to each process and force it to shut down, but that is a long and tiresome process). However, many producers have started to equip their android phones with their own task-killing apps (Samsung has done so). However, HTC has not. There are two task-killing apps that are recommended, that do not take up much CPU power nor battery life. They are "Advanced Task Killer 2.0" and "Advanced Task Killer Free".

This can help on some of the lag, as it will free up RAM on the phone (many people who then don't have a task-kill app, will have more than a dozen programs running in the background after just a few days, and this eats up the RAM, making the phone slow and laggy).

However, this might not always be the reason for the lag, and this is where USB-debugging hopefully will help. I'm not entirely sure what this does in detail, but as the name says, when you connect your phone to the PC, it will debug itself, trying to find errors in its code and correcting them automatically so the system will run better =). Hope this explanation helps.

20. TheBrit

Correct - it's not an app - it just gets on with it in the background. Some apps wil restart if you kill them which is where you'll get Froyo and the task killer fighting each other and this will drain the battery.

Yes, USB debugging does help. Android 2.2.1 improves things here meaning the USB debugging option does not need to be activated but introduces other issues.

I installed 2.2.1 before HTC pulled it. I don't find the 'new' issues to be a deal breaker.

21. Gardium

Yes, you are right about the "fight". I forgot to mention, that these applications that restart, you can add to an "ignore list", so the task-kill app will ignore these. However, the newest versions of these task-kill app only attempt to shut the services down. They will not monitor if the app keeps running. So I don't see where the battery drain is (PS! this for the newer versions, I just got my HD for Christmas, is also my first Android, so I cannot say anything about previous versions) =).

Additionally (but this is ONLY for "Advanced Task Killer Free" with certainty of the two I mentioned earlier), the new task-kill apps do not view system processes, as they are programmed to ignore these already, so yet again. Not sure where the battery drain you claim is =)

22. TheBrit

Personally I don't find the battery to be a problem but I do tend to top it up on a regular basis.

Setting up a task killer in the way that you state should be ok. I suspect that est1984 is not set up like this - having his task killer competing with Froyo's memory management.

23. vinodz88

vinodz88 New Member

hi, thx for the solution..i just tried it n feel its alot better but im nt sure if its 100% normal, maybe im jz being paranoid...but what i wud like to know is, does this method solve the prob permanently?? second quest is, can i stil connect my DHD to the PC as normal wit the debuggin mode turned on?? pls advise me further..thanks a lot:)

24. Gardium

Hope you are just paranoid :D, hehe.

But yes, this option should be a permanent fix. Basically, all it does is when you connect your phone to the PC, it starts a program that finds bugs in the phones code, and corrects them to optimize the system (meaning less lag :) ). You can still use the phone like normally and connect it like normally to the PC, this system will run in the background.

Hope that helps :)

25. SerenityStark

SerenityStark Member

Actually USB debugging is for writing your own applications on your phone - you can single step through your own apps to see what they're doing etc. when it's enabled. The reason I've heard cited for why USB debugging speeds up the phone is that it kills some processor intensive task that slows the phone down. Probably something to do with HTC Sense/Sync.