HTC Desire Internet Usage

Last Updated:

1. JCadz

JCadz Member This Topic's Starter

Hey.
    On the HTC Desire how do I tell if my phone is using the internet? I have 500mb of internet and I dont know if my phone is on the internet after i close the browser. e.g if i just return to the homepage after using facebook, does the browser automatically close and does not count as internet usage anymore?
    Thank you.

Advertisement
  2. rtb35

rtb35 Well-Known Member

You could use a app like 3g watchdog to keep track of your internet usage,use this QR Code to get it,oh yeah its free ;)

[​IMG]

JCadz likes this.
  3. tef89

tef89 Well-Known Member

+1 for 3g watchdog - it's an essential app for me :)

If you don't have the barcode reader yet just search for it on the Market.

But to answer your Q, yes once you've loaded the page into the browser or back out it stops using your data.

The arrows underneath your H, 3g, or G (or E) symbol will show any traffic movement up or down.

There are several other things that will use your data in the background though so defiantely grab 3g watchdog.

JCadz likes this.
  4. JCadz

Thanks, I downloaded the app, but im still confused. I used facebook on the photomenu. and i went of it but it still counts as internet usage?
    Sorry, Im really new to phones.

5. JCadz

its says ive just gone up 2mb of data since ive downloaded the app, but where am i using the internet?

6. HYCAET

HYCAET Guest

your phone is constantly using data. that's the way the desire works.

If you're concerned about it you should use the toggle to turn data off.

7. JCadz

sorry, ive just realised that im ******ed. ive figured out the app.

8. Jammy

Jammy Well-Known Member

Go on one of your home screens.

Long press, tap widget, scroll down and tap settings, then tap Mobile Network.

It'll give you a widget to toggle your data capabilities on and off.

9. shanebrowne

shanebrowne New Member

I Have just gotten my new android phone only to notice there is know easy way of knowing my internet usage .It would be nice if somebody who knows how to program apps for android could make a good one. The issues i have encountered on the existing apps are -

1. no option to set how much internet i have used so far (so if i get the app half way through the month or i need to update it manually i can do so)

2. No way of seeing what each individual app is using when it updates or syncs as the day goes on (because every four hours or whatever its set to my apps check for updates), furthermore, I use the navigator which is like a normal car GPS which uses no internet but because its through google and uses their maps it needs a small amount of internet which i would like to monitor when i leave it running for an hours driving.

3. I recieve unlimited access to certain sites; like my providers website (vodaphone) and others like facebook and twitter which would be nice if they could have a setting to exclude or include them into my usage. (and then if i could manually set my usage, reset it to its proper value if i leave facebooks included usage for a while).

Not sure why I am posting this here, though I thought it would be nice if more people request or are in need of a similar app, for even different purposes to try help me find or promote something. ty.

10. Hippotech

Hippotech Well-Known Member

As above - 3g Watchdog Pro does 1 & 2 - not found a way of doing 3 yet !

Hippo

shanebrowne likes this.
  11. shanebrowne

shanebrowne New Member

I just went on the app store, and got myself a copy of 3g watchdog. It confused me at first, then i had a little play with all the settings, simple.
    You are right, 3g watchdog works fine. I don't have the pro version though, Which would allow me to keep tolls on individual apps, just the free version.
    So i guees one day when I get around to buying apps ill upgrade, It would be much worth it, considering its $3.00 for my 24 month contract; which means i will be on top of my usage for the whole term. Still, I'm lazy and cheap so ill just wait and see which way the cookie crumbles.

Thanks dude. let me know if a better app comes along.

12. georginah

georginah New Member

i dont know how to used intanet in my mobile htc desire am from tanzania and the mobile i buy in norway

13. Bazcabs

Bazcabs Well-Known Member

I used to use 3G Watchdog but moved over to droid stats now as I can monitor my minutes, text and data in one app.