• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help HTC Desire issues list?

Hello,

I have had my htc desire for a few days now and am still getting to grips with it.

I have noticed when making or receiving a call the screen goes off, not sure if this is a feature or an issue. Has anyone else experienced this ?

Also can't figure out a way of setting the text message received notification sound to one I have downloaded ?

Thanks

Sajid

it's called proximity sensor :) it activates when your phone gets close enough for it to lock the screen as then you wouldn't be making any other accidental actions on the screen with your ear. i think most of touch screen phones have this feature and trust me it's an advantage (as some people had problems with samsung galaxies proximity sensor and it wouldn't turn the screen of and then make any kind of stuff with their ears while on the phone :) )

Upvote 0
well said, how do people even come up with things like this, seriously i can;t understand.
try any of the phone on loudspeaker and come close to each other and it will be the same. same as you come with a mic to the speaker and it starts emitting squeeky sound. huh, just don't understand why people always bashing android for everything instead of trying with different equipment first.
and second try to lower down the volume when on loudspeaker maybe it will reduce the cracking sound or it's again the issue calling to another phone on loudspeaker which is too close?
thank you Gh

Upvote 0
Thank you for your replies... so if you have the phone and you do the multi touch rotation test shown in that video, yours draws a complete circle? (touch the screen in two places, then rotate the phone more than 90degrees about the centre axis)

From what i've read in other forum's ect it is how the sensor's work on these 2 device's screens(desire, nexus).
it's not a 'fault' with the screen but just how they've designed the screen & sensors(prob a cheaper option).
the problem happend's when the x y axis are crossed(drawing a circle).
so there will prob never be a 'fix' for it. However I don't see how it could ever be a issue with normal use - or with games.

Upvote 0
@Arvind: What did you do about the speaker quality issue? Did you get the handset changed? I think I am also facing the same issue, and I'm not sure if this is the issue only with my handset or Desire generally has the issue of crackling output from speaker-phone.
@kaushal101: Speaker quality issue is something to live with. I think it is because HTC Desire has only mono speaker unlike many others I have used in the past. So it is a case of whether you like it that way or not. More over it is not too common to use your phone on a speaker mode usually. Upto you though.

cheers
Arvind

Upvote 0
Anyone else finding the back cover not fitting as well as it used to after removing and refitting a few times?

In the process of rooting, mine was removed and replaced several times and now the gap between the cover and case isn't perfect so it makes an ever so slight creak when handling the phone.

I've seen one other post mention it but wanted to know if it is more widespread.

Which brings me onto:

Protip #1: Don't remove the cover more than you have to. Leave it off until you are certain you have finished rooting!

Upvote 0
These tests, whilst showing that the touchscreen is not perfect, will not affect your day to day use of the phone in the slightest.

The only problem I've had with the touchscreen is getting used to the sensitivity of a capacitive touchscreen again after using a resistive touchscreen for almost a year... and that's not a fault, just a user issue ;)

I've never had a problem with the phone misinterpreting my touches.

And I feel that the AMOLED sunlight issue is grossly exaggerated. They definitely are harder to read in sunlight (like most screens), but not so hard that it becomes an issue.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones