• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help HTC Desire keeps restarting randomly

oliver780

Lurker
Sep 19, 2011
This is my first post on here so hi!!

Just wondered if anyone could help. I have had my desire for about a year now and everything has been working perfectly until last night.

I was just text when my desire just randomly turned off and the got stuck on the HTC splash screen, I thought nothing of it really proceeded to take out the battery and reboot, which it did ok. But today I have been noticing it turn off randomly and restart, occasionally getting stuck on the flash screen sometimes starting up fine.

I updated to 2.2 about 6 months ago - no problems
I have deleted most of my messages (it sometimes use to crash there)
The last app I downloaded was Skype, but that was a week ago
I uninstalled ATK
And there seems to be no overheating...it doesn't feel warm when it restarts at all.

Sometimes I can go on the phone for 15 mins before restarting, sometimes it just gets stuck on the splash screen.

Oh and 99 times out of 100 it always restarts when the phone is locked and I press the power button to unlock and then the screen goes black and restarts.

Any ideas gratefully received.

Thanks

I'm sorry to say that I recognize this problem. It sounds to me like you have the famous overheating CPU/Motherboard trouble. I've had it myself twice now, and the only thing to do, I'm afraid, is to:
- back up everything you can immidiately
- preform a factory reset just to make sure that it's not some random wierdness from an app messing with your phone
- And then get it to your dealer for a warranty, when the factory reset doesn't help...

Here's hoping I'm totally wrong! ;)

Upvote 0
The first time I had this problem, the phone felt hot to the touch when it acted up. But this second time it didn't feel hot at all.

I won't wager my life on my diagnosis, but it sounds like it...

Back everything up, though, just in case the phone suddenly dies on you... You can alwas put the backups on yur computer and delete them from the phone, so as not to waste Sd-card.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones