HTC Desire minuses (not mentioned in tests)

Last Updated:

1. vogon55

vogon55 Member This Topic's Starter

Hello!
    I'm a new user, had FTC D for 3 days . here's what I found out so far, apart from bad flash and no apps on SD card, small remain internal RAM for apps. [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    If at least half of it won't be fixed in 2.2 I'll drop the phone and go back to Nokia.

-- News feed does not rotate, no pinch/magnify
    -- RDS in FM radio not accurate/dependable (does not identify all stations in area):D
    -- the only available divx player Xyflash not working, crashes on every command
    -- no pinch/magnify in Opera Mini 5 beta
    -- no custom/user notification sounds for messages
    -- no multiple calendars (holidays import from Outlook - for instance your country holiday days & other countries around you or elsewhere holiday/free days)
    -[FONT=&quot] - [/FONT]search in People/Contacts only in Names & Surnames
    -[FONT=&quot] - [/FONT]no wrist attachment point & cord
    - no bookmarks import in browser
    -no Notes sync with Outlook via PC sync
    -[FONT=&quot] - [/FONT]PC sync doesn't upgrade automaticaly (you must download and install)
    -- PC sync doesn't sync over wi-fi or bluetooth, you must use USB

Advertisement
  2. Lol mahmood

Lol mahmood Well-Known Member

The lack of a wrist strap is my biggest problem. Oh, and the battery life, which is even worse than all the reviews suggested.

3. Si Pie

Si Pie Well-Known Member

I can do most of those things on my phone!

4. RobDickson

RobDickson Well-Known Member

The wrist strap won't be added in V2.2.

The PC Sync is down to HTC, not Google, so also won't be fixed in V2.2 (although HTC might take the opportunity to add it).

I'm not sure, but I think that most of your other comments are specific to certain applications, not to Android.

Do you have the latest update for the Desire? I found my battery life improved when I upgraded from the original version.

5. Celox

Celox Well-Known Member

(I took the liberty of numbering all the 'problems' i wanted to reply to.

All are app problems. They have (ok the news one has) nothing to do with HTC..

2- App problem, contact the dev.
    3- App lacks this feature at this point, contact the dev
    4- Also an app problem, I'm not aware of the fact if you use Handcent, if not: Download it now. It has the option to set another sound for messages (text messages i believe you are reffering to)
    5- app problem, I'm sure someone can suggest you a good alternative calendar
    6- use the google search widget instead
    7- Which browser are we talking about? opera or the default?

That being said, yes some stock apps lack some functionality sure. But those can be easily fixed. none of these (that i responded to) have anything to do with android itself or the phone itself. Just some software 'issues'

In response to the battery life complaint above, mine does just fine. I don't know what you expected when you bought a smartphone with the power and screen size of the desire in such a thin package.

6. wuthton

wuthton Well-Known Member

I wanted to use mine to hammer in nails but seemingly the case isn't strong enough:eek:.

I have emailed HTC to complain because I feel that it should have been clear before I bought the phone that I couldn't use it as a hammer.

beady_uk likes this.
  7. grainysand

grainysand Well-Known Member

What's wrong with the Desire's camera flash? I understand that it uses the same one my N1 has, and my N1's flash is blindingly bright.

App-specific. Contact the developer.

App-specific. Contact the developer. Jesus.

For that matter--why are you even using Opera Mini? Stock Desire browser is fantastic. Skyfire is amazing. Opera Mini is for dumbphones/featurephones/phones with crap specs, ala most of Nokia's offerings. Don't need that for a top-end Android device.

Lol? There are. You just don't know how to set them, I'd guess.

8. Kendoji

Kendoji Well-Known Member

Hahaha great thread. :)

Coming from Nokia myself I can think of a many many more things that are lacking on their best phones.

9. vogon55

Cheers - instead of the usual predating bunch of ranting swedes as on every forum I expected some useful advice - and thanks to the few that provided it. When and if I reply to someone I try to give him some good advice, help & info.The other "comments" speak more of their authors than they would probably like to.
    I'm an user and when I buy something I expect it to work out of the box and not with a lot of tinkering & hacking and additional effort - and I don't mean knowhow.
    I understand that most of my remarks are app issues, that's why I chose a HTC Desire forum - I didn't specifically target the android lovers.
    So I can only hope that some of the HTC people read this posts - I registered on their support and their scripts crashed my browser three times so by to them.

10. grainysand

Translation: "I don't know how to solve simple problems on my own, you're all asshats for not holding my hands and guiding me through step-by-step."

Do you know why most tech support people think most users are dumb as a bag of bricks? Yeah, that.

11. Kendoji

Yep, predating ranting swedes are a problem on every forum, but to be fair you weren't actually asking for advice in your first post. You just listed a number of app issues and said you'd return your phone if HTC didn't fix it by version 2.2 - hence the gentle jibing that ensued.

If you need help with something, this forum is actually quite a good place to ask for it. :)

12. RobDickson

Excuse my ignorance, but what is a "predating bunch of ranting swedes"?

13. Kendoji

They're everywhere!

*hides*

14. wuthton

wuthton Well-Known Member

They are like angry turnips but with bigger teeth.

15. vogon55

16. RobDickson

Thanks. I now know what a Ranting Swede is. I'm still not sure what hunting and feeding has to do with it, but never mind. Good luck with getting the improvements that you want.

17. Lol mahmood

@celox: I've compared usage and battery life with iPhone-toting friends, and been disappointed with my desire's performance relative to theirs. I know the desire battery is swappable, but the battery cover feels pretty flimsy to me. Reminds me of the back of my old Nokia N95, which had similar battery life and an equally flimsy cover.

I'm hoping that battery life will improve with firmware updates, as was the case with the N95.

As for the wrist strap; I didn't think to check because all of my phones for the last 10 years or so have had a wrist strap, and all of them have been saved from all kinds of destruction by those straps. I'm looking out for a nice, slim case/cover with a strap.

18. Kendoji

My battery seems to perform better than the iPhones that my friends have.

But yeah, swapping batteries is a pain - I think a Proporta Turbocharger is a better solution.

19. Bootsock

Bootsock Well-Known Member

Ah, you should have bought a Legend then! Metal case makes hammering nails a breeze!

Sent from my HTC Legend using Tapatalk

20. SteveyAsp

SteveyAsp Member

This thread did make me chuckle, because a few minor niggles (all handsets have them) Someone threatening to go back to laggy bug ridden Nokia. :D

21. Nodders

Nodders Well-Known Member

Particularly as most of them are actually moans about apps and widgets rather than the phone. A bit like me calling my PC rubbish because I don't like how Excel works.

But in the spirit of the thread (which is a useful idea for prospective buyers), I think the only minus for me is the whole thing where you press the power button to wake the phone up. Not a major niggle by any means just not as smooth as it might be - I guess I preferred the Hero method. Having said that by far and away the best phone I have ever used.

22. grainysand

Y-you mean that's not how it works? I mean, Assassin's Creed 2's graphics are crap. That means my PC is crap. I'm trashing it right this minute then go back to a Pentium III.

If you use a lockscreen app--Lockbot, Lock 2.0 or Keyguard Disabler--you'll be able to use any hardware button to wake the phone up: volume rocker, the bottom buttons and so on.

23. Lol mahmood

One niggle: the optical mouse thing is annoying. It's too sensitive: sometimes it reacts to my finger as it passes over the thing without touching. And, in subject of input; I'm not too keen on the keyboard either. The keys are too close together. Apple's iPhone keyboard is much easier to use. On the desire the keys are too close together.

24. brykins

brykins Well-Known Member

Both my two real niggles are already mentioned - having to press "power" then "menu" (or swipe) instead of my old Hero which would unlock with a double press of "menu", and the awful, awful trackpad. Other than that....it's damn good!

25. IOwnGoogle

IOwnGoogle Active Member

Going from an Android phone to a Nokia because of bugs is like selling a Lamborghini to buy a Vauxhall because you want speed.

Nokias are most bug-ridden, badly made, cheaply built, half-assed phones out there and Symbian is the worst mobile OS I've ever had the displeasure of putting up with.

As for the problems you've listed here - as has already been noted, they're mostly app-specific, not problems with HTC or Android itself.