• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help HTC Desire nightmare!

Guys trawled these forums and many others online but still can't find an answer to mine and many others HTC desire/android problems.

Will start off by explaining that these problems have only arisen AFTER the 2.2 froyo update. I have an o2 branded phone so some of you may assume they are network related. Any info would be much appreciated.

First major issue - the excruciating 'lag' when doing anything on the phone. ie moving from homescreen to other screens, dragging down the notifications bar from the top of the screen and any general movement around the phone. These tasks are stupidly slow. it takes about 5 minutes to scroll around the phones main screens. People online have posted ramblings about task killers and such but nothing definitive. I have no task killer installed. There is surely an underlying issue with this lag, somewhere must be a setting or background function thats stopping the operating system from functioning at normal speeds.

Second major issue - the clock! the main clock in the top right hand corner cannot tell the time. since the update my clock freezes and is regularly over and hour wrong. 'Network assisted settings' for time no longer work. even when i input the time myself, give it 15 minutes and the time has fallen behind once again. unexplainable.

Third major issue - htc desire phone turns off at least 8 times a day. seems to happen when the phone is resting flat on desk at work or when Im listening to music. not acceptable.

Fourth Major issue - when writing text the phone vibrates with each key-press as if im receiving a new message?

There are more issues but I feel they are linked to main four ive just posted.
A few more facts, ive done a factory reset which did nothing, phone is still stupidly slow and clock is always wrong, deleted all of my apps to start from the beginning, nothing has changed. Help....
Surely someone knows something about this tragic demise to a previously perfect working phone??

re run the o2 uk RUU which will reinstall the firmware completely
somthing from the update has gone wrong and borked it
you can get it from here
Shipped ROMs

make sure its the same one as your current version, should be
RUU_Bravo_Froyo_O2_UK_2.14.207.1_Radio_32.44.00.32U_5.09.05.30_2_release_144166_signed.exe

EEK, didnt explain that my Desire is not rooted or modified in any way. Update was and OTA update a few months ago. How do i go about downgrading and then re-installing 2.2?

Probably trivial but im a novice just understand the basics

Upvote 0
eh?

i know you are not rooted, you mentioned you took the ota

if you are on o2 then that version "should" be the same version as what is on your current phone (settings>about>software information)

you dont have to downgrade, you just install htc sync on the pc so the drivers are installed (you may have already done this already)
connect the phone and run the RUU tool which is from HTC
it will wipe the device in the process
please make sure you do not have an autoscreensaver or time out on the pc and make sure you have over 50% battery

its an official util from HTC so it will not void warranty

Reactions: DiscoDave85
Upvote 0
eh?

i know you are not rooted, you mentioned you took the ota

if you are on o2 then that version "should" be the same version as what is on your current phone (settings>about>software information)

you dont have to downgrade, you just install htc sync on the pc so the drivers are installed (you may have already done this already)
connect the phone and run the RUU tool which is from HTC
it will wipe the device in the process
please make sure you do not have an autoscreensaver or time out on the pc and make sure you have over 50% battery

its an official util from HTC so it will not void warranty

ok backed everything up and wiped it, started afresh and we seem to have had some luck.

The lag seems to have gone (for now) and the clock is keeping up to speed. Will wait another few hours before i genuinely believe problem is fixed but looking ok so far. praying i dont have a faulty phone, no one else i know with a desire has any faults. they run task killers and some have even 'rooted' theirs.

will report back soon but thanks for tips

Upvote 0
Think ive narrowed it down to a google street view update for google maps!!!

Phone was working perfectly until this update.

Since updating to this version from the market place phone is so laggy ive been unable to uninstall the app. Also, which isnt at all shocking the clock has slowed and is now 10 minutes behind real time.

Wifi is also not working since this street view update!

Upvote 0
It's bizarre how an update on a phone where practically everyone else has identical hardware, could cripple it just for you. I can't even begin to understand what causes it, unless your provider somehow caches marketplace data and you're getting one that is damaged. Try downloading it over WIFI instead or if you do it over WIFI, try your phone provider.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones