HTC Desire on Fido Network

Last Updated:

1. jamescooper

jamescooper Member This Topic's Starter

Aug 3, 2010
    I haven't seen any threads that directly address this concern, so I apologize in advance if this is repeated elsewhere:

I'm aiming to pick up a HTC Desire from Telus on Thursday when they come out, and having it unlocked so that I can use it on Fido, where my plan currently is.

So far, no one I've read has had problems operating data or standard features on an unlocked Desire, but the one burning question I have is:

Will an unlocked Android phone operating on a different network still receive OS updates?

It's my understanding that the service providers send the updates directly to the phone. If that's the case, and my phone isn't receiving updates from Telus (because it will be on Fido), is it still possible to receive OS updates somehow?

I'm looking forward to dropping my iPhone 3G for the Desire, but I don't want to put myself in a corner where I can't keep my phone up-to-date.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

2. deanCommie

deanCommie New Member

Aug 6, 2010
    Hi James - I am interested in exactly the same question.

The Telus HTC Desire is a better model than the HTC Desire that has already been out for awhile. It's got higher transmittal speeds at 3G.

But I have the same worries as you. I want to stay with Fido - i like their plans more, but I'm worried about receiving OS updates if I get the Telus version and get it unlocked.

Can anyone offer any help or advice?
  3. sookster54

sookster54 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2010
    I've been wondering this as well since I have a Rogers Quench unlocked for use on Telus. I think there are releases of stock update.zips that you'd have to use but I'm not sure.
  4. no fit state

no fit state Well-Known Member

May 12, 2010
    As far as I know. Your phone would recieve it's updates ota from the original supplying carrier. So in your case it would be from Telus as despite you having a different sim card in the phone, it would still be running the Telus software version.