HTC desire on orange

Last Updated:

1. arjun_a1989

arjun_a1989 New Member This Topic's Starter

Hi there guys. Im new to this forum!!
    Ive recently bought a HTC Desire on orange contract and the phone appears to be debranded and unlocked. There is no evidence of orange applications in the menu and my other vodafone sim works with it too! Is there anyway to work out whether this has the generic HTC unbranded rom or not?? And does that mean i will get the Froyo update when HTC release it?

Cheers!!

Advertisement
  2. anoniemouse

anoniemouse Well-Known Member

Did you get your phone from carphone warehouse or mobiles.co.uk?
    If so you got a generic phone in which case you will get the froyo update when htc release it.

3. arjun_a1989

arjun_a1989 New Member This Topic's Starter

Yeah, got it from e2save. I didnt realise they give you generic phones. Cant wait for Froyo!

4. anoniemouse

anoniemouse Well-Known Member

They are the best ones to get, not like me i had to debrand & unlock mine.
    Got tired of waiting to so rooted as well & got a custom rom.

5. Nunu2010

Nunu2010 Member

hi sorry to sound thick but what is the difference im going to get a desire on orange when i upgrade am i better off not getting direct from them?

6. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

You can upgrade via carphone warehouse, probably get a better deal too

7. Jhaeh

Jhaeh Well-Known Member

I didn't get a better deal, hence why I went through Orange directly. In fact I would be very surprised if anyone gets a better deal from CPW compared to Orange direct.

For the same upgrade deal I got from Orange with a free handset, I would have had to pay over

8. Eris Ed

Eris Ed Well-Known Member

My Desire is Orange branded and I can live with the junk they preload - I would prefer not to have the game demos but I need the built-in Maps app to use the navigation service included in my talk plan.

My only worry is the 2.2 update. From reading the other discussions it looks like I won't get the OTA update from HTC, I'll be at the mercy of Orange as to if/when they issue an update! That sucks a little :(

I'm not interested in rooting my phone, but I am exploring the possibility of unlocking it in such a way that I can get the 'normal' HTC 2.2 update and still have access to by Orange talk plan features, email and maps/navigation mainly. The advice on here is great once you figure out what to look for!