HTC Desire on Orange

Last Updated:

1. paraffin01

paraffin01 Member This Topic's Starter

Hello Guys.. I would like some advice that has probably been answered before but I hope not.

I have an Orange HTC desire on Orange with Android 2.1.

What I would like to do is debrand this phone to the stock HTC Android 2.2 release.

HTC Desire 2.2

I am not really bothered about custom ROM's or rooting. I just want to have all the features that the phone should come with, minus the Orange mods..

Is this possible firstly?

If it is which guide would you recommend?

Can anyone comment on the risk vs reward of doing this?

I am technical enough to follow the guide but would like to make sure what I want to achieve is possible..

Advertisement
  2. teppic74

teppic74 Well-Known Member

3. paraffin01

If for some reason this failed what is the back out procedure?

Is it possible to install the Orange ROM back on again?

4. anoniemouse

anoniemouse Well-Known Member

As you are on orange you may have to unlock your phone too as the radio updates often lock out your wifi & if you update using the goldcard then the phone usually sim locks forcing you to unlock.
    As far as i am aware there is no orange roms available to enable you to go back.
    If you need an easy way to make a goldcard then see here

http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-desire/117710-goldcard-tool.html

5. teppic74

The RUU shouldn't fail, there are lots of checks in place to prevent it. It's always possible to reapply it though. You can't rebrand to Orange software.

The radio in froyo doesn't seem to cause any problem with Orange phones. Lots of people have used it and there are no reported problems that I've heard.

6. anoniemouse

That's handy as the old debrand method used to cause problems when you upgraded the radio, Orange are a pain crippling an excellent os with all their crap ware.
    Glad to hear this new RUU is easier as it will be a god send for Orange branded users to debrand.

7. gmarkj

gmarkj Well-Known Member

I think it depends how he does it.

I, along with a couple of others from what I can tell, have rooted without using a goldcard and have not disabled WiFi, nor sim locked the phone. So it is possible to remove the orange branding without too much concern.

The one issue is with faults, and a need to send the phone for repair. I have 3rd party insurance, so I'm not worried. Plus I can put a stock Rom on and as I got my phone from an independent it shouldn't be an issue. But i can see why others would be hesitant...

8. DesirableHTC

DesirableHTC Well-Known Member

I am one of those couple that hasn't been sim locked or wifi issues, can i ask how you rooted? did you use the Unrevoked method? i think annonimouse meant that those who root/debrand using the gold card method have run into issues.....?

9. anoniemouse

He is on about using an RUU file which involves using the goldcard method & is not rooting.
    Teppic74 has pointed him to the froyo RUU file & that doesn't disable wifi

10. gmarkj

gmarkj Well-Known Member

Yep, used one click method to root.

Having read his reply (above) I stand corrected. I would suggest turf one click method as long as you have the "correct" boot load version!

11. paraffin01

After posting this a few of my mates now have the update from Orange to 2.2. However my update obviously hasn't been activated yet!!!

I have managed to get a copy of the update called

OTA_Bravo_Froyo_HTC_WWE_2.09.405.8-1.21.405.2_release4dua3bcrut4wrv30.zip

from one of my friends phones but I cannot work out where to put it...

I tried changing the name to update.zip and using the bootlaoder method but this failed.

Any ideas where I place this file?

12. teppic74

That update file won't work because you're not running unbranded software. You won't ever receive an Orange update if you've rooted your phone. The only way for you to run Froyo officially in that case is debranding, which I pointed to in the 2nd post.

13. nitestalkr

nitestalkr Well-Known Member

(Tapatalk bugged out on me... this was supposed to be a comment over at Android Central in the LG Optimus V Quattrimus alpha thread... sorry guys lol)

14. shauny13

shauny13 Well-Known Member

You could also apply the official 2.3 rru from htc over at shipped roms if you wanted to. It wouldnt void your warranty and is honoured by HTC.