HTC Desire on Verizon Wireless? Yes or No

Last Updated:

1. AubieJones

AubieJones Active Member This Topic's Starter

I am a faithful former Alltel / currently Verizon Wireless subscriber. They have the best service and network, hands down. I currently have a Blackberry Storm 1 and my contract ran out in early January. A few friends of mine recently jumped on the Droid Eris bandwagon. I was very tempted because it's a very nice phone. Some folks claim it is a little "laggy" but compared to my Storm, it's pretty fast. But I exercised self control (which is rare for me regarding techy gadgets) and decided to wait for the next best thing offered by VZW.

After being on this board for a few months, I have come to the conclusion that the phone I want VZW to offer is the new HTC Desire. It is the best looking phone around with the great specs and features I "desire."

So with that said, do you think the HTC Desire will be offered by Verizon Wireless? I have read many opinions on this board related to this question. Many of the first thoughts, including mine, were that it wouldn't be due to the GSM specs AND VZW getting the Nexus One in the near future. Then others chimed in with why would T-Mobile or AT&T get the HTC Desire since they already have the Nexus One, Hero, etc.? And the third question put out there was will the HTC Desire only be offered in Europe and other parts of the world and not the USA? And some have even offered just as legitimate reasons why VZW would get the Desire.

To help with my suffering of having to wait, and wait, and wait, please offer your opinions on whether you think Verizon Wireless will offer the HTC Desire or not. I'm TOTALLY confused! :confused:

Thanks

- AubieJones

Advertisement
  2. brianr8011

brianr8011 Active Member

If you are out of contract and craving a new phone that badly, just choose from what is currently available. There will always be something better on the way, you can't always be waiting for the perfect device because it will never be here.

If you wanted to, you could pay a little extra and get a one year contract instead of two. You may not be able to get the newest phone as soon as it come out, but you'll be able to get a new one after enough time has passed for them to hopefully have found major bugs and roll out an upgrade.

3. tebsen

tebsen New Member

Let us consider that VZW does offer the Desire. I am more interested in what feature(s) you "Desire" the most on the device.

4. AubieJones

What, no opinion? ;)

5. Geddy

Geddy New Member

I have a Blackberry Storm as well... I am waiting to see what is offered with the Incredible. Rumors about the Incredible are just that at this point, rumors. It could turn out that the Incredible will actually have most of the features that you "desire" making it a good alternative if Verizon doesn't get the Desire.

6. AubieJones

- Android 2.1 O/S
    - HTC Sense UI
    - 1 Ghz snapdragon processor (in other words a fast phone)
    - Handsome form factor that's curvy without sharp edges

There are probably more but that's a start...

Very true. If VZW doesn't offer the Desire but does offer the Incredible, I will seriously consider it along with the Nexus One.

7. blackdognorth

blackdognorth Active Member

Incredible/Passion/Desire...whatever. HTC with 3.7 capacitive screen, Android 2.1, Sense, 1 gHz SnapDragon.

Would be nice if it had GSM too for world capability (like HTC TP2)
    Personally I think V is milking the Droid and the Eris for all they are worth right now. With this on the market, even at $199 w/2yr it's going to take a lot of sales from Droid and Eris.

8. carmendiva

carmendiva Well-Known Member

I mentioned this in another thread somewhere in the forums

I have a droid eris currently right now and i love the phone it's just a wee bit slow and a wee bit small

the htc desire seems to actually be everything I want...from what I see...

I think the Htc incredible is the Htc desire because isn't the htc desire basically the nexus one

and the nexus one is supposed to be on Vodafone in april from a few web sites i read...
    And Vodafone will be getting nexus one according to the google website...so what if this is vodafone and other companies outside of the us version of the nexus one...

Htc incredible is said to have all these features and i even looked on the video i saw of it and it seems to be very much alike the desire...so what if that is verizon's version coming in march or april like the google site says(spring)

I say this because
    their are like 4 different htc touch pros 2(tmo, sprint, verizon and the htc unlocked version)....

but the htc tilt 2...isn't that a redesigned version of the htc touch pro 2 for at & t...slightly different look but same specs....

Look at the droid eris...it's the sprint hero...and the htc hero...just slightly different and renamed

so i think you should wait till the incredible hits because the incredible is the desire...is the nexus one

Maybe i'm overanalyzing :)

9. mbell75

mbell75 Banned

No, its not going to Verizon, but the Incredible is. Pretty much the same phone.

10. cdmta

cdmta Well-Known Member

It's an interesting take, but nexus one WILL NOT have sense UI. Google's philosophy with the nexus is to bring android back to what they want it to be. they have done alot to improve the experience so that you do not need to skin the ui.

Google will sell the nexus one for verizon. They can sell another htc device in-store (unless they have some sort of agreement with htc to not do this)

I have wondered if verizon and htc will change the nexus look/hardware and that is possible. If they want to market the nexus one as the nexus one, i would believe they would all look similar. then the nexus two will all look alike, and so on. just a theory.

Time will tell. Lots of time i guess.
    So the eris isn't cutting it for ya? i keep going back and forth on getting it for a bit.

11. mi_canuck

mi_canuck Well-Known Member

I somehow wounldn't be surprised if T-Mobile US wouldn't trying to get it... since the Desire is essentially a reskinned Nexus, with Sense, but minus Noise Cancellation, it would be a no-brainer to have AWS 1700MHz on it (as it's 99.9% the guts of the Nexus)... Certainly less effort for HTC to make a T-Mobile US version, than it would be to do a CDMA version for Verizon or Sprint... All it takes is an agreement between T-Mo and HTC, which they already have the best HTC relationship of all the US carriers, with the Dash, Wing, G1 and MyTouch3G.... and of course the HD2...

12. clb

clb Well-Known Member

I don't understand why everyone thinks it is so hard and to make a CDMA version of a phone. Phone manufactures, including HTC, obviously know how to do it and have done it, I'm sure it's not that hard for them to switch out the chip set.. but maybe I am completely wrong.

13. vido.ardes

vido.ardes Well-Known Member

It's not difficult, but the carriers have to want to carry the phone. If they don't agree to sell it, the manufacturers won't make it

14. AubieJones

I'm starting to subscribe to the theory that others have stated that the Desire in it's current form is just destined for non-US countries and that the Nexus One will be sold by Google for VZW and that VZW will sell the HTC Incredible in it's own stores. So if I prefer the Nexus One over the Incredible (which I do just based on leaks), I've got to hope for it being available on currently held VZW family plans even though sold by Google.

Obviously this is all speculation. For all I know VZW will be allowed by Google to sell the N1 in its stores. I would think we'd find out by the end of March (or at least I hope we will).

15. Montana Man

Montana Man Well-Known Member

Then why didn't you bring this point up when you and I were debating CDMA/WCDMA merits the other night? There's NO reason for me to believe that a manufacturer won't make a phone that a primary carrier wants to carry. If Verizon brings enough cash to HTC's table then *Voila!* - suddenly Verizon has whatever phone they want. Again, it's about MONEY!

16. cdmta

cdmta Well-Known Member

17. lookseehear

lookseehear Well-Known Member

The thing is that V have spent a huge amount marketing the Droid, it was kind of supposed to be their iPhone, and when you've spent a lot of time and money telling everyone 'this is the phone you want' it's not so easy just to turn around and say 'actually that's a bit out of date now'.

18. cdmta

cdmta Well-Known Member

It's been almost 3.5 months since release. It's not out of date?

jk. They really don't have to say anything. They could just do something. release my next phone already.

19. amihererightnow

amihererightnow Well-Known Member

20. shawn487

shawn487 Well-Known Member

21. mi_canuck

mi_canuck Well-Known Member

don't forget the Legend is lumped in with the Desire in that article... I'm sure not all will be getting the Desire - many will get the Legend.

22. Mandrew

Mandrew Well-Known Member

I sent an email to HTC asking if the USA would get the desire. Here is their answer:

I certainly understand your interest in the newest in HTC's family of smart mobile devices. Regarding the Desire, all that has been announced at this point in time is that it will be broadly available to customers across major European and Asian markets in early Q2. The HTC Desire will be exclusively available in Australia through Telstra. Nothing has been stated yet about any possible release in North America, although I do feel the need to point out that no announcement at this time certainly does not mean that it will never be available over here. For the latest news, keep an eye on HTC - Mobile Phones, Smartphones, Cell Phones, PDAs and our Twitter account at HTC (htc) on Twitter.

If you ask me, that sounds somewhat promising.

wonderbread and spartan141 like this.
  23. AubieJones

Cool. Thanks for passing that on Mandrew!

24. daveydog

daveydog Well-Known Member

which makes it all the more maddening! Why on earth would VZ or any other carrier not want to sell the Desire? Lets see, Desire for lets say 199 or that ugly devour for 150. Hmmm.

25. blackdognorth

blackdognorth Active Member

Fact is, there are probably more kids that can get their parents to drop $150 + a data plan for them every month than there are professionals and adults that would drop $200 + plan.

In the end, who the heck knows why Verizon makes their decisions. there's no rule that just because they are big they are making careful and wise decisions. Could be the VP in charge of marketing and distribution has a particular bent towards selling media and text-centric devices to kids. Who knows.

shawn487 likes this.