HTC Desire Or Nexus One?

Last Updated:

1. keyboardwarrior

keyboardwarrior Member This Topic's Starter

Which phone should I get? The HTC Desire or the Nexus One

As a UK user the HTC Desire would appear to be my best bet due to deals and availability but I need to know more before deciding.

I heard the HTC Desire doesn't do the Speech To Text functionality because of the lack of Dual Mics. Is this true? If it is, is it such a deal breaker?

The New Sense UI looks great, but at the sacrifice of regular OTA updates is it worth it? HTC seem to have added a bunch of features that appear really good.

Any thoughts?

Advertisement
  2. mr HTC

mr HTC Member

This maybe a relief for ya, the desire does do speech-to-text. In clips where they show of the sms function and that sort of stuff, you can see the mic icon in the screen. So thats a pretty sure thing

3. Hrethgir

Hrethgir Well-Known Member

I think the lack of dual mics will only lose the noise-cancelling functionality, but it should still be able to do text-to-speech no problem. Unless you're in a noisy area, although I don't know if the noise cacelling is somthing that always works when the mic is used, or just during a phone call. As for the updates, you will still get them, you'll just have to wait for it while Sense is also updated to match it. I've heard people saying that the next update of the Android UI might be nice enough that having Sense isn't even going to be so important anyways. That will still have to be seen, of course. Honestly, though, I don't think you can go wrong with either phone. My friend is getting ready to upgrade, and the one reason he'd go with the Desire over the N1 is the optical mouse versus the trackball, he doesn't want that little trackball stickout out. Unfortunately, the only network we are probably getting the Desire on over here in the States (so far!) is T-Mobile, and coverage in our area isn't so great. But we'll see what the future holds!

4. shawn487

shawn487 Well-Known Member

speech-to-text is part of android os 2.1 so it will have it

5. keyboardwarrior

keyboardwarrior Member This Topic's Starter

Cheers for the informed info.
    I read BS from other tech sites and wanted to make sure I had the right information before making an informed decision. Looks like I went to the right forum!
    My first android device is going to be a great one either way; and based on the feedback I will definitely get the desire now.

6. mudrock1000

mudrock1000 Well-Known Member

Here's always why i've been clinged to vanilla android usually. Its simple to set up. That is in fact the truth of the matter because you pick up a Sense UI and you have all these things that have to be set up and tweaked, and it can run into alot of work to get it just right to someone.

Thats just me though. I've only played with a hero for a good 10 minutes.

7. nx1977

nx1977 Well-Known Member

From the vids comparing Sense on a Hero and Desire, the desire is much quicker and smoother. Also can be disabled.

8. Gash

Gash Well-Known Member

Keyboardwarrior, I think this question has been answered a little misleadingly.

You cannot speak a text message on the Desire. (except maybe through a 3rd party app?)

I was also really hoping you could and it's made my decision on whether to get the Nx1 or the Desire harder aswell.

I emailed HTC and asked them this and the answer i got was:

Dear HTC Customer,

Thank you for contacting Technical Support Center.

HTC desire does not support speach recognition to text.

Best Regards,
    Lukasz M.
    HTC

9. pengellyd

pengellyd New Member

It is very confusing, on one hand you have HTC support saying that spech-to-text isn't supported and then you have a photo from people with a 'hands-on' with the device which shows the microphone button available? If the device doesn't support it then why have the button there?? (Desire on the left)

[​IMG]
    Source: Android Central

I hope this feature is in the Desire as it'll make my decision between the Nexus One and the Desire a little bit easier. I was set on getting the Nexus before the Desire was released :confused:

10. the iZach

the iZach Member

One of the main issues for me is that i think the nexus looks much cooler, i dont think sense is very good.

Will it be possible to hack into it and use the N1 background on the desire?

11. Yenzehn

Yenzehn Well-Known Member

12. damuffinman

damuffinman Well-Known Member

13. BreatheElectro

BreatheElectro Well-Known Member

Yeah hard decision for me as well. But i think i'm going with the Nexus One. Already saved up the 529.00 for it. woot.

I want the OTA updates

14. the iZach

the iZach Member

Still not conviced by the desire, think i'll go with the nexus.

Anyone know the uk release date?

15. nx1977

nx1977 Well-Known Member

Late April/May, only on Vodafone.

16. damuffinman

I doubt you can just walk in store to get the Nexus One though. With Google opening a mobile phone store, aren't they trying to keep the whole ordering process online?

17. Lukehluke

Lukehluke Well-Known Member

I think they should have it in the network shops e.g. T Mo etc.

18. photon00

photon00 Well-Known Member

I believe this is the case. You will get them via Vodafone online.

19. photon00

photon00 Well-Known Member

A massive bonus for the Nexus one is the speed of getting new OS updates. We've seen how quickly the new sense was ported to the N1. Do people think that Froyo (next big OS update) could be ported to the Desire easily from the N1?

20. Sigmund Droid

Sigmund Droid Well-Known Member

Yep, I may just leave Verizon for this phone as it appears that the "Incredible" that's been touted coming to Big Red the last couple of months ain't looking so incredible now.

I'm tired of them and their second rate hand-sets. What good is their network if the smartphones they have for it suck?

21. Lukehluke

So which one will be cheaper in the UK?

22. wankingweiner

wankingweiner Well-Known Member

probably the htc desire. They said they left out the dual mic feature because it cut costs significantly

23. Lukehluke

Isn't the Desire

24. Ghâshûl

Ghâshûl Well-Known Member

You can't really compare prices like that between EU and USA. The European Nexus will likely be higher priced than just the $530 converted to our currencies.

25. damuffinman

[quote="Gh