HTC Desire Orange...Simlock, you know it

1. Kryten2k35

Kryten2k35 Well-Known Member

Hey guys, like the thread title says Orange branded Desire, now simlocked after I messed with it.

Now, before anyone gives me grief, yes, I wish I had also had the forethought to google for "problems debranding HTC Desire Orange UK" but I didn't and it wasn't until I did the OTA update that I was thrown knee deep into this mess.

Now. What are my options?

I tried one unlocking service last night and this morning they had refunded me with the following message:

So, I'm now trying another guy on ebay. I think I found his link via either these forums or the XDA forums. I'm not confident, though.

I also feel like ringing up Orange and giving them a peice of my mind. I was doing a review of differnt contracts before I decided to upgrade Three (3) were doing the Desire FREE for

Advertisement
  2. DCFC79

DCFC79 Well-Known Member

Why would orange provide an unlock code
  3. Kryten2k35

Presumably because I paid money for the phone.

Usually, when you finish a contract (starting a new one or not) they'll give you the unlock code for your old phone. It belongs to you. They'll also sell you an unlock code if you're still in a contract with them.

Now, they should give me an unlock code because:

1) I had to pay for the phone.
    DCFC79 likes this.
  4. kingvortex

kingvortex Well-Known Member

Indeed. They provided the phone able to connect to their network and this has changed due to the OP invalidating his warranty by debranding it. They will not provide an unlock code for free to remedy this.
    As for returning it, good luck with that OP as you have modded and broken it. I doubt they will even consider a repair or exchange of the handset in it's current state.
    DCFC79 likes this.
  5. subzuk

subzuk Member

Hi Kryten2k35.

I used a guy from Ebay and had no problem at all unlocking my Orange Desire. Think it cost me about
  6. Kryten2k35

Yeah me too.

To the other two posters, the point was I pointed out to them before on the phone that I could get a free unbranded phone and they knocked up my minutes and said it was fine! Hense I wanted to give them a piece of my mind! Orange borked the radio and messed around with the functionality of the phone that I was looking for (Wifi is practically useless on the Orange FM) I bought the phone and I didn't even care about an unlock as I was happy to use Orange. I always end up spending a little bit over my base plan. However, they buggered the radio, which forced me to need an unlock!

Anyway, the seller on ebay came through for me. He was very polite and it was only
  7. Ian80

Ian80 Active Member

How so?
    I've got the Orange FM and have never noticed a problem with the WiFi.
  8. Kryten2k35

I tried to use Wi-Fi for internet and the Orange FM said I needed to connect via my Sim. It was the same on my Sony Ericsson C905 (which was promptly debranded. It touted BBC iPlayer, but needed Wi-Fi to do it...)

I've also returned to point out that I'm not having the Wi-Fi issues some people spoke about on this baseband (I think)

I'm running

FM Version
    2.1 update1

Baseband
    32.36.00.28U_4.06.00.02_2

Build number
    1.21.405.2 CL174215 release-keys

I expected Wi-fi problems but I'm having none so far.
  9. FelixofMars

FelixofMars Well-Known Member

Hang on you debranded because the Wifi didn't work? It should have worked fine. There are zero issues with this unless you mean the issues people where having after debrand.
  10. Kryten2k35

Haha, no. The Wi-Fi work's when you're using the Orange FM. But, you can't use it to access the internet, because the Orange foolery demands you use the Sim, and your data plan. Same for Googlemaps. I stopped there and started debranding. And it worked fine on the Bravo 1.15 firmware, it was the latest firmware that broke everyone elses that broke mine and needed a sim unlock.

However, I'm saying I've just sim unlocked and I'm not having any Wi-fi issues.

EDIT:

And I also debranded because I wanted a vanilla phone not a branded one.
  11. FelixofMars

Yeah I understand why you want rid of the Orange Cr-Apps, but the wifi worked fine. The only stuff that used the dataplan are the Cr-Apps like traffic TV,Orange maps and their shitty Messenger app. The interwebs works fine so does google maps and navigation, unless they have made it worse since I got my phone.
  12. evogav

evogav New Member

Hi Guys,

I'm in the same boat - 9 days old desire - orange branded. I RUU'd to 1.15 to "vanilla" it and then applied the OTA update to 2.1 - but this lost my wifi. I ran the RUU 1.21 and this fixed my wifi issue but network locked the phone (even though I'm still using my orange sim).

My problem is - no one can find my IMEI on any unlocking database. I've tried all on ebay and also htccodes - they reckon the new database with my IMEI wont be out for another week.

I've tried to downgrade to 1.15 again but I cant. I dont think you can downgrade unless you have root.

Any ideas???
  13. nx1977

nx1977 Well-Known Member

Get the code from Orange.
  14. FelixofMars

I think the only problem is you must be on the contract a minimum 3 months but Orange should unlock the phone if you ring them.
  15. Kryten2k35

16. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

Only problem is they will charge you like