HTC Desire Overclock

Last Updated:

1. emeraldnumber1

emeraldnumber1 Member This Topic's Starter

Is it possible to overclock the desire, coz u can on the nexus one

Advertisement
  2. carbonara

carbonara Well-Known Member

Apparently yes I've heard. Why would you want to though, the phone never slows down and it'll just eat your battery quicker?

3. newcastlepunto

newcastlepunto New Member

yes, i have mine overclocked to 1113, and underclocked when i dont need it too, saves battery underclocking it
    i have root and i just flashed richard trips kernal :)

4. emeraldnumber1

emeraldnumber1 Member This Topic's Starter

Please may you help me on doing this? :)

5. paulcooper

paulcooper Well-Known Member

Surely this phone is fast enough? for what benefits do you overclock your phone for?

6. Adebisi

Adebisi Well-Known Member

but will it run crysis?

Rizzu, altered.ego, Pancake and 3 others like this.
  7. dunbad

dunbad Well-Known Member

Im with emerald number one on that! Never to much speed!

so long as its stable which it probably will be by the time I finish learning how to do it, why not!

8. PJD

PJD Well-Known Member

Just wondering if you people on contracts so when the disintegrates do you just hand it back and say it stopped working for some reason LOL

9. ILoveMyDroid

ILoveMyDroid Well-Known Member

hey, how much can you overlock the LG optimus?

10. Lord Doom

Lord Doom Well-Known Member

Haha, excellent! Put a smile on my face. :)

11. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

The kernels are undervolted so no extra power (heat) required.

12. anujvir

anujvir Member

Hi
    I have a rooted HTC desire. I use Pay's ROM (Desire HD). This ROM is a little too heavy on HTC Desire though. The phone lagged a lot. I istalled SetCPU only yesterday. It is absolutely amazing. Gives you a sense of power.
    I am not much interested in underclocking(except when travelling... to save battery).
    I have taken it for granted that i need a charger (AC/USB) with me all the time.
    So... i tried to overclock.
    Here are my resuts:
    At 1190 MHz... the phone is superfast, but it is very unstable
    At 1152 MHz... the phone was fast and a little more stable. But i tried playing Gun Bros.. which is a very heavy game on hardware... and it kept crashing(not force closing)
    At 1113 MhZ... the phone is not as smooth as with 1190 MHz but it is still loads better than the stock speed. It is also stable... i.e it did not reset.

The battery temperature rmains about 35.4 C when charging and doing some browsing simultaneously.. which i think is pretty normal.

I am just a little apprehensive about the phone's life though. Is there a definate proof that the phone life decreases with Overclocking?

13. turbohobbit

turbohobbit Well-Known Member

Uh... No. Who suggested that?

14. anujvir

anujvir Member

I was just browsing through the internet searching for some info on overclocking and i did see some people quote that it might decrease the hardware's life. I am not certain though.
    From my experience when using a PC when you overclock your MoBo or Processor, i tends to decrease the life of the hardware a little because there is more heat produced when using an overclocked hardware.
    But still... i am not sure.
    If anyone has some definate proof on anything...please share it.

15. turbohobbit

turbohobbit Well-Known Member

SUroot's probably the man to answer this one, but to my knowledge there is no evidence to support the case against overclocking because it knackers the processor.

16. broads desire

broads desire Well-Known Member

what are safe levels to overclock... and/or what profiles do people use with setCPU

17. Lord Doom

Lord Doom Well-Known Member

If you don't increase voltage when overclocking something, then the lifespan is unaffected. As SURoot said above, there is no additional heat.

18. SUroot

yes, the danger from overclocking is that with a PC for example, to handle a higher clock, you must increase the voltage which produces more heat. This heat and the higher frequencies produces extra wear on the hardware. This is why they use advanced cooling systems to balance it out.

However, the standard kernels coming with android are using more power than needed to produce their clock speeds. So a developer can write a custom kernel that uses less voltage to achieve higher clock speeds. They are making it more battery efficient even at these higher speeds too.

If you can overclock with a custom kernel and still use less power, you are producing less heat so you could argue that these custom kernels have the potential to increase the longevity of your CPU core. Obviously overclocked this difference would be negligible but at the same clock speed as stock it could be tangible

19. amlothi

amlothi Well-Known Member

So what about NOT using a custom kernel? I just root my phone and use SetCPU for example. Could the phone become damaged then?

Any recommendations on SetCPU settings for the Desire? I installed it, but I don't see much difference. I still get occasional (not consistent) lag on the home screen when switching between screens or using the pull down notification tray.

20. diegox

diegox Active Member

C'mon, any answers? I need to know this too :D

21. SUroot

Well if the most drastic thing you do with a kernel is overclock it and that doesnt damage anything, how can not overclocking it damage it?

You cant overclock a standard kernel as it isnt designed to allow it. all you can do with setCPU on a standard kernel is set a screen off profile toi limit the max cpu frequency to save power.

You can also do this at certain battery percentages, but I dont really see the point in that. Why set your phone to run slower when you are using it and limit the CPU? All you do then is deny the phone what it needs to do a task, then it takes longer to do and doesnt save any battery

22. Yathushan

Yathushan Well-Known Member

Sorry

23. amlothi

amlothi Well-Known Member

Sorry if my question was stupid, but I did not know this...

SetCPU just detected what I had there automatically. I assumed I could manually adjust the maximum if I wanted to, but I hadn't tried because I didn't know if it would do something bad.

24. SUroot

You can adjust the maximum down lower on your stock kernel but your phone may lag

25. anujvir

anujvir Member

I dont think the lag will go.
    Because from what i percieve we are not actually overclocking the device the proper way.
    If we are increasing the clock speed without changing any input voltage, i do not think the overclocking will be as effective as Say in a PC.
    I mean if all the inputs are the same how do u expect to get more output.