HTC desire questions before I buy one

Last Updated:

1. zelda111222

zelda111222 Member This Topic's Starter

I want to buy the HTC Desire or the Samsung Galaxy S. At the moment I prefer the HTC Desire. It's smaller, feels better and has flash which the Samsung lacks. But when I read the fact that the HTC Desire is very limited in internal memory for installing apps and the fact that you can't transfer a lot of apps to your sd card with the help of the froyo 2.2 update got me thinking again about which phone I should pick. I don't want to buy the phone and later regret that I don't have enough space for apps. That's not the only thing that is bothering me. So I want to ask a few questions.

Question 1: What is the average number of apps you can instal on the internal memory (so without SD card) of the HTC Desire if you installed update 2.2?

Question 2: Let's say I use internet 2 hours a day, watch movies, listen to music 2 hours a day and also call people 1 hour and send a few text messages. If I do this everyday will I have to charge my battery everyday or will it last longer?

Question 3: Can you install apple apps on HTC desire?

Question 4: What is the average size of an application?

The more people that answer my questions the better. Appreciate the help guys.

Advertisement
  2. Shieldfire

Shieldfire Active Member

2: I would guess you will be disappointed with any Androidbased smartphone if that is your routine. My guess (as that isn't what I do with mine) is that you will have to recharge it at least once a day.

3: Not that I know

4: A couple of hundred K?

3. chaoticfury

chaoticfury Well-Known Member

Question 1: What is the average number of apps you can instal on the internal memory (so without SD card) of the HTC Desire if you installed update 2.2?

You can store a lot, it depends on the size. But with App2SD or Froyo it won't be an issue. It really won't. Desire comes with an SD card so your in good shape.

Question 2: Let's say I use internet 2 hours a day, watch movies, listen to music 2 hours a day and also call people 1 hour and send a few text messages. If I do this everyday will I have to charge my battery everyday or will it last longer?

Depends on the internet. If it is youtube for two hours then yes. 3G data requires a lot of battery no matter the phone. If you will be doing that, keep a charger close. Any touch screen phone will suffer from battery drain. It takes a lot to keep that baby powered all day. It is not a blackberry. Charge it every night and keep it plugged in at the office and your fine.

Question 3: Can you install apple apps on HTC desire?

No...It's an Android phone. Not that I am aware of at least. If you want Apple apps get an Iphone.

Question 4: What is the average size of an application?

A few hundred K to a few MB.

If you are that worried about those things you can get an Iphone but it is no different. They last the same amount of time and do the same things. Only the app stores are different. I love my Android for what it is.

4. chris 290

chris 290 Well-Known Member

I'd wait now for the htc desire hd or the htc ace is what it might be called.

Its likely to be a couple of months but will solve your apps storage issues.

It has got a bigger screen though, but is not fuggly like the samsung galaxy s.

Unless your in a real hurry, be a bit patient and get an updated handset as they are nearly here.

5. CDA

CDA Member

agreed. Wait for Desire HD.

The ONLY thing the current Desire has over the galaxy s is a flash for the camera... but THREE generations of iphone with a shitty camera and NO flash didn't stop it from being the most sold smartphone in history so I don't see why people are complaining now.

This is why i hate steve jobs - what a hypocrite - "who needs a good flash/camera on their phone noone uses their phones to take proper photos" - and what does he go and do? Gives the iphone 4 one of the best cameras on a smartphone + flash. Hypocrite galore - same goes with multitasking. Enough ranting, moving on:

Pro's for galaxy s over desire:

GPU is 3x better

Touchscreen has no multitouch bug, it can recognise unlimited touches and is fully smooth - go to youtube and search "galaxy s vs desire multi touch"

4inch SUPER amoled > any other screen

If you want proper gaming - get galaxy S.

If you want a good clean interface - Desire is good coz of HTC Sense UI, apart from this, galaxy s wins in everything.

also, the galaxy S camera quality is really great, including its 720p playback at 30fps - much better than the HTC desire.

Also, Desire with Froyo still can get app storage issues, I suggest getting Apps2SD even with froyo, coz not all apps can be moved to SD. Another reason to go with the galaxy s.

mY FINAL tip: wait for Desire HD - looks better than galaxy S, has bigger screen whilst probably being the same physical size, and has flash and 8mp camera - only things it would be worse than galaxy s is the fact that galaxy s has SUPER amoled screen and if it comes with the snapdragon CPU (which isnt a bad thing, but the galaxy S CPU/GPU combo is killer)

p.s. I have a HTC Desire

p.p.s. wait for WINDOWS PHONE 7 :D

6. zelda111222

zelda111222 Member This Topic's Starter

thanks to all of you guys who took the time to answer my questions. It helped me a lot.

7. jaybo1973

jaybo1973 Well-Known Member

I am just about to buy a desire. Didnt know about the app issue? If 2.2 is going to solve this, then it wont be an issue. Roughly though, how many apps can the internal memory hold? I have read lots of reveiws that really rate this phone and not once come accross this issue. I guess apps2sd is an app for moving things over?

8. mikey_mike

mikey_mike Active Member

On my AppsOrganizer i count 76 apps :D
    and my available space shows 24.78MB free

I would not use my phone to watch movies. Thats just silly unless you have it plugged in. Everything else will work fine but you will want to plug it in when you go to sleep. Just get a cradle off eBay and your set.
    It doesnt matter what phone you get, the habit on having to place your phone on a cradle or plug it into a charger is something you will have to do every night.
    Get an extra battery too, their cheap and easy to carry.

Why would you??? Did you know that 80% of apples AppStore apps costs money? Whereas 57% of Android apps are free!
    Besides that theres comparable apps for Android that will do same functions. Its only games that ip4 has an edge

Average size im finding is approx 75-150KBs
    Widgets could be in the 250-400++ KBs range