• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help HTC Desire restars all the time

Hands up if you are using a task killer! Killing certain apps can cause a reboot, even ones you wouldn't think would!

I can categorically say that mine was more than taskiller situation. I uninstalled the task killer and it didn't. Sort the problem. My desire was also crashing during certain graphics intensive apps. Having the ROM reflashed has fixed everything that was going wrong with it (even with a task killer installed)

Is there such thing as a bad flash?

Upvote 0
Hands up if you are using a task killer! Killing certain apps can cause a reboot, even ones you wouldn't think would!

Not using a task killer. As an update, mine went quite for 4-5 days but has done it again, this time while writing a SMS. I still have time until the 28 days limit to return it, so i'll do a master factory reset see if this will work. If not, i'll just return it.

Upvote 0
This happens occasionally when the processor gets overloaded I think.

It's happened to me twice, and both times I've been trying to do about 8 things at once on it. Could be a preventative measure to stop overheating maybe?

Not sure about that, i've not experienced this and i'm what you would call an extreme power user! I'd probably go with it being down to a badly coded app. Any of you using locale as this has been known to cause this problem?

Upvote 0
Not sure about that, i've not experienced this and i'm what you would call an extreme power user! I'd probably go with it being down to a badly coded app. Any of you using locale as this has been known to cause this problem?

That's fair enough.

This is why it's great to get this stuff out on the forum, because you can rule out things by seeing if other users are getting the same under different circumstances. Hopefully we'll eventually be able to pinpoint what it is. :cool:

Upvote 0
Ok got some more news... Tried uninstalling all my apps so i started one by one... all were ok in a few secs... fine no problems... and then Bang!!!

Got an operating system menu:

BRAVO UNKNOWN SHIP S-ON
BHOOT-0.75.0000
MICROP-031D
TOUCH PANEL-SYNT0101
RADIO-4.05.00.11
Mar 5 2010, 21:12:15

HBOOT

<VOL UP> to previous item
<VOL DOWN> to next item
<POWER> to select item

FASTBOOT
RECOVERY
CLEAR STORAGE
SIMLOCK

I selected recovery and didn't do much, so i had to remove the battery and put it back on.

Will save some photos etc... and will do the master reset.

Upvote 0
O
Got an operating system menu:

BRAVO UNKNOWN SHIP S-ON
BHOOT-0.75.0000
MICROP-031D
TOUCH PANEL-SYNT0101
RADIO-4.05.00.11
Mar 5 2010, 21:12:15

HBOOT

<VOL UP> to previous item
<VOL DOWN> to next item
<POWER> to select item

FASTBOOT
RECOVERY
CLEAR STORAGE
SIMLOCK

I've never seen this before in my life - I wouldn't fiddle with any of those settings if I was you. Sounds like some sort of engineers menu or something.

Upvote 0
Well... sounds like a system menu at the very early stages of booting, when checking the hardware, loading kernel, etc... much like windows crash recovery menu that allows you to boot with or without networking, boot in safe mode or command prompt, etc... or even earlier some sort of bios (equivalent)... don't know.

But yes, looks bad!

Upvote 0
It didn't happen during uninstalling an app. All uninstalls were quick and then I had to hit OK to confirm they were completed (that is unless any of them was still running in the background, which i cannot confirm though). Following the last uninstall i browsed the menu and it got stuck into "restart" mode again. Then tried to take the back cover off to remove the battery; while taking the cover off it happened but not sure if i pressed accidentally the power button or any other combination.

Apart from the specific incident with the HBOOT menu, the random restart keeps happening, I think, most of the times while charging it through USB connected to the pc (although I'm pretty sure a week ago or so must have happened outside the charge cycle).

Upvote 0
Unfortunately, following master factory reset, restarting randomly has happened again several times on different occasions: browsing google maps, downloading from the Market, etc...

The last thing i've noticed (never had that in the past though) is that when connecting it to the PC through the USB for charging... it triggered a restart. Disconnecting it after restarting it worked fine again, but then trying to charge it through PC/USB caused a restart.

Finally i've managed to charge it without restarts: set it to airplane mode, and it's charging now with no problems.

Fed up with this phone! Tomorrow is its last day. Will take it back for replacement!

Upvote 0
Unfortunately, following master factory reset, restarting randomly has happened again several times on different occasions: browsing google maps, downloading from the Market, etc...

The last thing i've noticed (never had that in the past though) is that when connecting it to the PC through the USB for charging... it triggered a restart. Disconnecting it after restarting it worked fine again, but then trying to charge it through PC/USB caused a restart.

Finally i've managed to charge it without restarts: set it to airplane mode, and it's charging now with no problems.

Fed up with this phone! Tomorrow is its last day. Will take it back for replacement!
Seriously mate, you either need to replace it or send it back to HTC.
Mine works like a dream now and I had exactly the same problem.

Upvote 0
I've been experiencing exactly the same problems since the 2.2 update and have been in contact with HTC who said to carry out a factory reset to see if that cured the problem - it did, for a day and then it crashed again last night. In the email they said to get back in touch if it persisted and arrange to send back. For those who have returned theirs to HTC, and have the handset back again, have they been reverted to 2.1, or are they now running 2.2 faultlessly?

Thanks

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones