• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HTC Desire S in Canada

Confeye

Lurker
Jun 13, 2011
Seriously inquiring into buying an unlocked HTC Desire S from Vodafone or another UK carrier, unlocking the IMEI and then putting a Canadian SIM card (Bell or Telus) into it. Anyone with hints/tips/warnings? Will most features/apps work on the 'converted' phone? Or is something like this a little too advantageous? The Desire isn't new enough for me, and the Desire HD is much too large. I fear the Wildfire will give me too many lagging problems (fast texter, loads apps slower) and the Incredible S is WAY too big.

Thank you for feedback! :eek:

Welcome to AF!

I'm not sure about unlocking but can give you two smallish tips about those phones:

1) From what I have heard the wildfire has a small screen, can be a problem with some apps

2) Having a big phone like the Desire HD is something most people seem to "get used to" -- initially they thought it was too large, but eventually came to really enjoy the larger screen. YMMV.

Also, you may want to ask this question in the Android lounge forum

edit: usta is a speedy devil!

Reactions: Usta
Upvote 0
Sorry for bumping an old thread but in case you were still looking, or if anyone else has stumbled upon this thread:

If you want to use the HTC Desire S in Canada it would be best to avoid the European flavour (S510E) which would only be compatible with 2G networks. Get the AU version (S510B) with HSDPA 850 3G.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones