• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HTC Desire s/w update 2.14.207.3 problem

Slyder1980

Lurker
Mar 27, 2011
As the title suggests really - so hopefully someone can help me out with this one. (I'll try and cut a long story short)

Downloaded update few weeks ago as requested by my phone and ever since the "Accounts & sync" menu force closes every time I try to access it.

HTC website says to go into "Options" then "Privacy" to erase all everything of the phone (this menu no longer exists on my handset)

I have however tried a full recovery via the hidden boot menu (or whatever it's called) restored it to factory settings with no Micro SD card inserted and the menu still force closes.

This problem seems to be common with this update but the only answer I can find is uninstalling certain apps (this surely is not my problem as I gone back to factory defaults via the boot menu)

any help with flashing software back on my phone would be much appreciated as I have never even attempted this practice before - thats to say its even possible?. This is an O2 Desire, not an unlocked/debranded device.

tia
slyder:)

Upvote 0
If you use teppic74's downgrade tool:

[HOWTO] Downgrade Froyo (2.2) to Stock 2.1 (ANY HBOOT | WIN/LINUX/MAC | ROOT) - xda-developers

Follow the instructions but supply it the RUU (rom upgrade utility) for the last O2 release (the one before yours)..

Multiupload.com - upload your files to multiple file hosting sites!

*Courtesy of EddyOS

This will put you back to where you were before the upgrade, minus your data of course.

i got the bit about "goldcards" ? thats the last HTC i buy. there wasnt anywhere in the manual that stated "if you update your phone, you render some of the options unuseable"

so whats the best andriod phone to get next?

Upvote 0
Your update came from O2, not HTC. If anything, that should be the last android phone you buy from O2, rather than the last HTC you buy. They're the ones that took HTC's update and tinkered with it and allowed you to install it on an existing O2 tinkered HTC rom.

which is fair enough.. all be a little cheeky of o2 to be messing with firmware like that.. especially if it breaks ones phone..

is there youtube tutorial for this?.. im really not smartphone savvy enough for this lol

Upvote 0
Unfortunately not. Teppic74 is the developer of this tool and iot is the only tool like this in existence.

Any questions may be best directed to that thread.

so let me get this right.. doing this will downgrade my phone? i can only assume i can update to 2.2 again.. ? is this safe?.. last time i tried something like this it got bricked.. lol

Upvote 0
It will downgrade it. It was designed originally to downgrade the unrootable 2.2 to 2.1 so it could be rooted.

You shouldnt need a goldcard for the 2.2 O2 linked earlier.

dont go to the 2.1 O2 rom though as the 2.1 O2 desires came with amoled screens so the slcd drivers wont be there and you will not be able to use the screen (very useful as you can imagine)

The RUU I supplied was the .207.1, so only a version behind yours I guess?

One thing though, read the thread as I am not sure if anyone has used this to go down to an earlier version of 2.2.

I bet they have but cant be sure.

Upvote 0
which is fair enough.. all be a little cheeky of o2 to be messing with firmware like that.. especially if it breaks ones phone..

all the networks screw majorly at one time or another...O2 do seem to mess up more than most..

well that is, unless you count orange taking out basic things like music player and google maps on phones and replacing it with their OWN brand of apps and just generally buttf***ing the system :eek:

Vodafone themselves got into deep trouble after a supposed 2.2 froyo update when it was all rolling out last year, as they didnt ACTUALLY release 2.2 but a firmware update with their 360 social stuff on it, but no actual froyo yet they called it 2.2...

It's always best to have or buy a debranded sim free phone as you will get clean updates from HTC (or whichever phone company your with in the future) and they wont be filled with network bloatware..

Upvote 0
well i aint messing around with downgrading it.. theres reports in that thread of people bricking there phone. mines new and uninsured so stuff that.. all seems to teccy for me anyway.

what about this gingerbread or whatever its called.. i heard its been in development since the stone age and were still waiting. if i wait for that, would that fix what o2's update broke?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones