HTC Desire - scratched camera lens cover

1. NickB72

NickB72 New Member

Hi all,

I've had my Desire for just over 2 months now and like to think I look after it - i.e. it doesn't get dropped or thrown about etc. However I've noticed that the rear camera lens cover is already badly scratched which is having a detrimental effect on any photos I take - they have a slightly 'misty' look to them.

Quite disappointed by all of this as I owned a SE W880i for 3 years and the lens is still as good as the first day it left the box!

Just wonder if anyone else has experienced this problem and if there is a fix? I could pop out and buy another cover but I fear it would only last another 2 months and using a protective case isn't that appealing! :(

Advertisement
  2. Pojken

Pojken Well-Known Member

widehead, palmbridge and NickB72 like this.
  3. jay_kay

jay_kay Well-Known Member

I've got the martin Fields screen protector and it comes with a small protector for the camera lens. It will eventually get scratched too but from experience it does last a long time. It also doesnot affect the pics in any way.

I've also got a gel case that lifts the lens slightly so it does not touch any surface.

Hope that helps mate.
    palmbridge likes this.
  4. NickB72

NickB72 New Member

Great - thanks all for your swift responses.

Displex it is then! ;)
  5. TheTrueSpin

TheTrueSpin Well-Known Member

Remember, worse comes to worst and you can buy another back panel for the phone.
  6. ru'

ru' Member

I thought that was a pretty good design feature fwiw (the fact you replace the back cover and get a new camera lens cover 'included'). Not sure how much they are though.

What are you doing to get it scratched? I make sure I keep the phone in my 'wallet' pocket, not my 'change/keys' pocket, if I put it in my jeans etc...
  7. Roze

Roze Hiding behind a mystery VIP Member

Nick, call HTC, they should be able to send you the back cover for free or for a small fee. When I called and said my cover is not attached properly to the phone and makes funny clicking noises, they sent me a replacement asap for free (no questions asked).

How do you lie your phone down? I always lie it on a soft surface and never on the table when I put it down. Since that's a sure fire way to get the lense cover scratch if you lie it on the phone on its back on the table.
    NickB72 likes this.
  8. OFI

OFI Well-Known Member

That's good to know. In the process of removing and replacing my back cover to root the phone the shut lines between the back cover and phoen quickly depreciated. It's barely noticeable but it now has a very slight amount of movement and a quiet creak if outside a case.
  9. Pojken

Pojken Well-Known Member

That plastic is... well, plastic. It scratches easily. That's just the way it goes regardless of how you put it in your pocket. I guess I'm no fan of treating my phone delicately. The only thing I make sure not to do is put the keys or change in the same pocket. Other than that, the phone goes in my pocket without much care.

So far so good, except for the scratchy lens which is now fixed.

Tim
  10. paintpot

paintpot New Member

I've had the same problem with my Desire, but used Brasso (metal polish) to polish the lens cover and this has been very effective.
    Cheesemeister, zomc and palmbridge like this.
  11. Phenomenological

Phenomenological Well-Known Member

How on earth did that idea first come to you? :confused:
  12. anoniemouse

anoniemouse Well-Known Member

I was going to suggest toothpaste, that works well at getting small scratches out of plastic lenses
    Cheesemeister likes this.
  13. ukjets

ukjets Well-Known Member

I got small scratches on my lens, even though i treat the phone as gently as possible. I put it down to when im not thinking, i pick the phone up and for some reason my finger always touches the lens,so i bought some displex that cleared the scratches, and also bought a cover for the phone,that seems thick enough to stop my finger touching the lens.

A new back cover from htc costs
  14. Phenomenological

Phenomenological Well-Known Member

Toothpaste makes sense, most have gentle abrasive particles in them which will take mild scratches off soft plastic. But brasso? The chemicals in that are designed to take tarnish off metals!
  15. anoniemouse

anoniemouse Well-Known Member

Got to admit it sounds a strange one to me, but it does have abrasive particles in that too.
    Having said that not sure i would like to trust using it on a regular basis, again due to the chemicals
  16. MisterMoleyMole

MisterMoleyMole Active Member

Same thing here. Really bad design on HTC's part!

Should be covered under warranty as i can now no longer use camera. They dont provide a case with it so what do they expect you to do, put it face down all the time ? i dont think so!

Bad times HTC!!! Sort it out!!!
  17. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member

Both Brasso and Toothpaste were tried-and-tested oldschool fixes for scratched CD's so I wouldn't have any aversion to using either. I wouldn't use it on the actual lens but the plastic cover, fine.
  18. liquidmonkey

liquidmonkey Well-Known Member

so has anyone tried to get the back replaced using warranty claim from htc?
  19. no fit state

no fit state Well-Known Member

Toothpaste and a cottonbud worked for my camera lens cover :)
  20. Roze

Yes :p
    I might have to get mine replaced again...clicking noise is coming back :mad:
  21. zigson

zigson Member

Cautionary note: Colgate wrecked my lens cover! On the plus side my phone smells minty fresh and is protected from cavities. Gonna get somed Displex as recommended earlier.
  22. bluerider

bluerider New Member

Before forking out for a new back cover, I though I'd try getting rid of the cheap plastic covering. I cracked it and peeled it off. It's just glued on to the black inner ring. Easy. You almost can't tell the difference - just a hole where the cheap clear plastic was. The picture quality is hugely improved. Be interesting to do this with a new cover - try video with and without the backcover. I'm confident the lens itself is protected enough.

Got the idea from

HTC Desire Tricks: How to Improve Your Camera (picture and video) Quality | Mobile Phone Blog
    Cheesemeister, PygmyArr and Roze like this.
  23. Roze

@ bluerider, very interesting. I'm guessing, I'll get the same result with my Nexus One.
  24. matttye

matttye Well-Known Member

I popped my lens cover off and put a little bit of screen protector over the lens instead. So far there's no grime, grease, etc, on the screen protector and I've had it on there for about two months. Photos are still vastly improved from when I had the lens cover.

:D
    Cheesemeister likes this.
  25. snab

snab New Member

I got my desire in May. Had to replace the back cover in July due to what I though was mostly down to water damage and dirty stain and scratches on the lens cover. (The rubbery cover/ guard I was using probably didn't help). Cost me