• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HTC Desire should i have gone sim free?

riverboat2001

Apr 29, 2010
UK
Hi all, i'm jumping ship from my N97.

I'm going to be using my 3 sim in the unlocked phone.

But i'm having second thoughts now.

In the past i have always debranded my phones to get the latest updates as soon as they are released.

The current firmware version is the tmobile one 1.15.110.11

do tmobile "cripple" the phone at all?

So if i have my 3 sim in there will the firmware change straight away, if not, will i still get updates as 3 don't currently have the phone.

Please help, as i will try and get a refund if i can't get the latest updates straight away.

Cheers All

I've got a Desire on T-Mobile (UK) and the minor OTA update a few weeks came through for T-Mobile about a day (or less) after the generic one was announced. Not sure how it might work for a more major update.

As regards extra stuff being installed, it really doesn't feel crippled or weighed down with extras. There's no T-Mobile specific branding on the outside of the phone or in the apps. To be honest the only thing I see is the start-up logo when first switched on - after that no mention of T-Mobile! I get the feeling the Orange ones are much more "branded/tweaked" - but not from personal experience.

And considering my total cost for the phone+voice+data over 2 years will be only

Reactions: riverboat2001
Upvote 0
Hi all, i'm jumping ship from my N97.

I'm going to be using my 3 sim in the unlocked phone.

But i'm having second thoughts now.

In the past i have always debranded my phones to get the latest updates as soon as they are released.

The current firmware version is the tmobile one 1.15.110.11

do tmobile "cripple" the phone at all?

So if i have my 3 sim in there will the firmware change straight away, if not, will i still get updates as 3 don't currently have the phone.

Please help, as i will try and get a refund if i can't get the latest updates straight away.

Cheers All

Why did you not just buy the handset in a 3 Store? I bought mine from a 3 Store on Sunday for

Upvote 0
T-Mobile have also been incredibly slow and far behind the upgrade curve on the Nokia symbian handsets. As they don't mess with the desire too much there probably isn't much incentive to debrand it until a large update is made available for the generic handsets that isn't available for the T-Mobile handsets.

I debranded my T-Mobile desire, but then the first thing I do whenever I get a new phone is debrand it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones