• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Htc Desire SLCD update/root?

foolishman

Lurker
Sep 24, 2010
Hello guys,

I just received a branded o2 desire with an slcd screen and have been reading various forum threads saying that making it unbranded may not work because it has an slcd - people have been getting black screens because drivers were not there??

Is there a way to unbrand my desire without causing problems and also would i use the unrevoked method or goldcard? Also would i be able to receive OTA updates (official htc ones not o2 ones) after doing this.

Thansk guys in advance.

John

Hello guys,

I just received a branded o2 desire with an slcd screen and have been reading various forum threads saying that making it unbranded may not work because it has an slcd - people have been getting black screens because drivers were not there??
I suspect the black screen post was mine from a few days ago? The reason I ended up with the black screen (SLCD) is because I used the wrong version of unrEVOked3 to replace recovery, which broke the OS. I then used the wrong (OLED compatible only) RUU to try and fix it and ended up with the black SLCD screen. If you use the new version 3.21 of unrEVOked, you should be fine. Just don't use ROM Manager to flash recovery if you also used the unrEVOked method.

Is there a way to unbrand my desire without causing problems and also would i use the unrevoked method or goldcard? Also would i be able to receive OTA updates (official htc ones not o2 ones) after doing this.
If you run an official 2.2 RUU, you can receive ota updates. I did it a few days ago (using the RUU: RUU_Bravo_Froyo_HTC_WWE_2.09.405.8_Radio_32.43.00.32U_5.09.00.20_release_140022_signed) and it went fine and also allowed me to perform an ota update afterward. If you use any custom roms, you shouldn't update with ota as they apparently clash.

Ensure you do a nandroid backup as soon as you can if you flash recovery.

Also, I'd advise reading everything you can about how to root/upgrade before actually doing it. There are lots of great threads here with all the info you need.

Upvote 0
jim_h, Once you flash an official RUU, doesnt it automatically change the recovery ROM? Or is it still preserved? If it isn't, doesn't that mean Nandroid Backup isnt possible after the flash?

If you run a 2.2 froyo ruu, the phone is exactly as it would be if turned it on brand new out of the box. Exactly.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones