HTC Desire Speakerphone (is crap)

Last Updated:

1. tavatimsa

tavatimsa New Member This Topic's Starter

Hi All,

New to the forum and new owner of HTC Desire. I have one complaint and I want to know if there is any kind of fix:

THE SPEAKERPHONE IS CRAP!

It just sounds tinny and horrible and distorts all over the place. It has no mid-tones or bass (as much as phones can have bass). Even my little old Nokia does speakerphone 100 times better, and that this is no super-phone.

So, is there some kind of graphic equaliser app that can fix this? Please?

Anyone, anyone?

Tavatimsa

Advertisement
  2. sandozer

sandozer Well-Known Member

Couldnt agree with you more, I still use my N95 for when I need portable audio, with stereo output positively hi-fi compared to the Desires squeeking tones. The worst feature of an otherwise superb phone.

3. cnanthony

cnanthony Well-Known Member

Its appalling especially considering the use of speakerphone is mainly used when you are busy doing something else ie driving which is usually generating some noise as well.

Any help really would be appreciated

4. StuartTheFish

StuartTheFish Well-Known Member

I asked about this a little while back, as I'm not convinced that it's a hardware issue. Mp3's for ringtones and the like sound reasonable enough, it's literally just in phone conversations that it goes to shit. So hopefully it's just a bizarre software issue causing it to sound like a kazoo...

5. JohnnyBravo1000

JohnnyBravo1000 Well-Known Member

It's not the best feature of the phone, that's for sure! It can definitely sound rather tinny when used while driving etc.

6. DaddyCee

DaddyCee Well-Known Member

yah used this last night and thought it was pretty dreadful as well.

7. .ParanoidAndroid.

.ParanoidAndroid. Well-Known Member

It's atrocious

Audio playback from videos is just horrendous

8. zafonic

zafonic Well-Known Member

So we can safely say its CRAP then.

9. holyblood

holyblood Well-Known Member

yep...CRAP it is..

10. tavatimsa

tavatimsa New Member This Topic's Starter

Hi Everyone,

Well, thanks for joining in the conversation, but unfortunately no answeres? Anyone playing with graphic EQ?

I found BOTH the speakerphone and music playback to be CRAP (as agreed above) and even find music through the headphones to be pretty poor.

You see, I have 10 day's grace on this order and am seriously considering sending it back and waiting for a model which gets it right. A camera on the front would also be cool :)

I love everything else, bummer that this one feature is SOOOOO BAAAAAD !!!

Perhaps someone will come with an answer yet....

Thanks,

11. twe

twe Active Member

I have some good quality Goldring headphones and to be honest I thought the sound quality wasn't too bad through them at all. I know there is no eq settings but I guess if I stick the background noise reduction on, on the headphones then the treble and bass get bumped up a notch. Compared to my previous T-Mobile Pulse I am actually happy with the sound quality. The output is pretty good too as I have a mini headphone amplifier as my Sony mp3 players cannot power the headphones properly and have not used it yet on the phone, but will do if I remember tonight.
    Through the speaker though yes it is rubbish, don't think anybody has tried replacing it?

12. altmenorg

altmenorg New Member

Couldnt agree more...

That's a hudge disapointment for me especially since I use my Desire as my primary GPS device.

I hope to find a solution to this. I also hope the problem is software and if not, that it could be improved the software way :)

13. nacatomi

nacatomi Well-Known Member

I've used mine for GPS quite a bit (copilot) and while yes its not that loud I've never had a problem hearing it and the quality is good enough for me. And yes I do have a fairly noisy car and have music on at a reasonable volume. If you have a tape deck get a tape to CD adaptor and then you can play music & GPS through car speakers same if you have line in on your head unit.

14. DCFC79

DCFC79 Well-Known Member

Ive used the speaker and i actually dont think its too bad really, ive not had the volume up load

15. twe

twe Active Member

If you have a universal dock then I guess you might be able to do a bit of DIY on it so that a bit of plastic goes behind the rear speaker and bounces the sound back to you. Similar to if you play music via the rear speaker with the screen facing you and you put your hand behind it to direct the sound to the front...

16. nx1977

nx1977 Well-Known Member

+1.

Sound is better when laid near something to reflect the sound.

t3hbooth likes this.
  17. .ParanoidAndroid.

.ParanoidAndroid. Well-Known Member

To be fair, I'm just so used to the (truly) spectacular quality of my N95's 2 side speakers that meant you could be looking at the screen and still get amazing sound quality

Having a tiny, awful speaker on the back of my new phone is taking some getting used to

18. Evil_Munki

Evil_Munki Active Member

I agree. A real shame, music from my Nokia 6230 is actually better :(

19. t3hbooth

t3hbooth Member

Crap quality yes but, I don't see it effecting me much - when I'm at home I just listen to music on my laptop or stereo, didn't buy my Desire to replace them. When I'm out and about I use my headphones - don't want to be one of the chav's at the back of the bus blasting out music plus everything always sounds clearer through headphones.

20. willis

willis Well-Known Member

Cue someone coming on here and saying the Desire is NOT a dedicated walkie talkie. Get over it and buy a boombox.

But yeah - It's crap.

21. sudkcoce

sudkcoce Well-Known Member

Did you try to put the phone face down when using speaker phone? It becomes much more useful! ;)

22. ynwa

ynwa Well-Known Member

Ive missed that since upgrading from N95 to Desire. N95 camera was much better too.

23. liquidmonkey

liquidmonkey Well-Known Member

i think you'll be hard pressed to have any disagreement, THE HTC DESIRE SPEAKER IS PURE AND UTTER CRAP.

please add a LEFT and RIGHT speaker next time htc.

24. wellibob

wellibob Well-Known Member

I still cry about the poor tiny little speaker the Desire has , compared to my old nokia 5800. Still i can live with it. I just lob on my headphones now.

25. ajanu

ajanu Well-Known Member

I was looking for an EQ as well. I have only found a few players with an EQ, and I have not played with them yet. It should be possible to make a universal EQ, but I haven't seen one. Maybe it would need to be based in the rom though and not an app?