• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HTC Desire Stock ROM?

JccageX2

May 25, 2010
So, I'm gonna ROOT + Flash my Desire soon, but first I'd need a safety net.

Has anyone got the UK HTC Desire Stock ROM in ZIP Format ready to flash?

the T-Mobile one if possible.

EDIT: Instead of making a new thread I thought I'd ask here, to flash a ROM, does my Desire need to be rooted, or just have a Custom Recovery image on it (Like clockwork mod)?

2nd EDIT: What's all this about a Gold Card? I have a branded T-Mobile HTC Desire, will I need a "Gold Card" for flashing Custom ROM's etc?

Confused, really need help here :/

if your going to root, use unrevoked with this tutorial(How To: Root the HTC Desire (Unrevoked Method) | TheUnlockr). You wont need a goldcard if you use unrevoked.
Instead of getting a stock rom, you can just backup the rom in recovery, unrevoked will flash a recovery(I believe it is clockworkmod) for you.
to flash a rom go into hboot by shutting down you desire and booting it while holding the volume down button. after you go into hboot, select and enter recovery where you can flash a rom.
for roms, download rom manager from the market or find it on the internet.

Upvote 0
indeed, follow dans advise while Kuobob's is well intended its incorrect

if you do not have a gold card it will mean that your methods of recovery (to standard) if you have a problem are somewhat smaller

if you root then backup then you can restore but it will not be a stock rom, it will be a rooted rom so its not covered by warranty (kinda)

Rom manager is for the lazy and in most cases causes more harm than good, it takes 2 seconds to boot to recovery manually instead of using rom manager and if you want to boot quickly to recovery mode you can get an app from the market called quickboot

Upvote 0
I've read the FAQ, But do I NEED The GoldCard to Root and Flash Custom ROM'S? How does it work, and has someone got a link to make one? (I have a T-Mobile U.K RUU Downloaded)

And what's ROM Manager? Do I need to worry about that?

Here's what I'm planning, could someone tell me if I'm doing anything wrong.

ROOT With Unrevok3d

Boot into Custom Recovery

Flash a new Sense HD ROM

Anything wrong, or something else I'd need to do with my T-Mobile UK Branded Desire?

(Thanks to anyone who can help with this, I'm just very careful with my phone)

Upvote 0
have you read what we just said?
gold card is important even if you are flashing a custom rom as if you mess everything up you can use it to install a stock rom from somewhere else.
rom manager is never needed
the faq links you to a guide on making a gold card
READ READ READ
we should have to tell you the same stuff youve just read if you did infact read the guide as everything we tell you is already there

Upvote 0
Right, okay, sorry about that, I think I understand Goldcard's now, they're to restore the phone to normal if it goes wrong?

Now, I just want to know how I use one?

I've found a guide to create one, but, say my phone goes wrong when I flashed a Custom ROM, will I just slot in the Gold Card, try and power it up and it'll install it back to normal or something?

This is the last thing I'm stuck on before ROOTing and flashing.

Btw, what are the problems that have happened when you install a Custom ROM On a branded phone?

Upvote 0
Wait, so you put the Gold Card in your phone and run the RUU Where? On your computer?

Sorry, I just really have no idea about this.

Also, once I have a goldcard made, you think it'll be oka to just ROOT using Unrevok3d and then flash a custom ROM?

Thanks to all that are helping :)

Yea ruus are .exe files, run from a pc with goldcard in phone

And yes to the rest too ;)

Reactions: JccageX2
Upvote 0
Why are you running an RUU now?? No point debranding if you're flashing a custom rom? Or do you have an annoying splash screen?

Choose a recent RUU and you'll have no problems with screen. How long have you had the desire? It was August time when they stopped shipping AMOLED. If it says AMOLED on the box, its AMOLED. SLCD says nothing on the box about screen type

Upvote 0
Why are you running an RUU now?? No point debranding if you're flashing a custom rom? Or do you have an annoying splash screen?

Choose a recent RUU and you'll have no problems with screen. How long have you had the desire? It was August time when they stopped shipping AMOLED. If it says AMOLED on the box, its AMOLED. SLCD says nothing on the box about screen type

Oh oky, I have a splash screen but don't mind it. I won't de-brand first then.

I bought my Desire 2nd hand, but it does say Amoled on the box.

Also, if the phone gets corrupted/the custom ROM goes bad and won't boot up or something, can't get into recovery or whatever, how would you go about putting the RUU On the Desire or putting it back to stock?

Thanks

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones