HTC Desire sync Outlook

Last Updated:

1. savsat

savsat New Member This Topic's Starter

I'm sure this question has already been posed, but I am really frustrated by the lack of true synchronisation between outlook and the HTC Desire.

The Desire is a really lovely device, and I'm discovering more and more things to do with the phone all the time - downloading applications left, right and centre too.

But I'm STILL really annoyed with the lack of good sync options between Outlook and the Phone. Yes, you can sync contact names and calendar entries, which is all great, but no task syncing and most importantly no syncing my outlook inbox.

I'm still one for holding my personal information on my PC. I'm not convinced by the cloud. Cloud computing is all well and good for many people, who don't save that much stuff, and who aren't overly worried about security, but I much prefer to have my details off the web, and nicely secure on my home PC that is encrypted, regularly backed up and secure. Do I sound paranoid? Perhaps a little, but I'd really welcome the Android developers to look hard into syncing Tasks and Emails, much like the previous (windows mobile) phones I had in the past.

I could create my own exchange server - but how tedious and unnecessary is that?

Is there a good (free) android app out there that will properly sync outlook stuff with the phone, or (even better) will the new Android o/s have this covered?

Advertisement
  2. ifb-online

ifb-online Well-Known Member

I'm looking for one too. The HTC contacts and calendar apps work quite well, but I would like to sync email and tasks too. I am experimenting with imap for my mail, so that could be the sync solution for mail, and am trying reqall for tasks, but that really works best in its paid for option. But I would prefer all this to be under one app, just like it was with my old Windows phone.

Ian

3. stueyboy

stueyboy Well-Known Member

So, how do your e-mails get to your PC then? The reason that developers do not set up sync options for mail is that the phone is designed for you to set up either a POP or activesync account on the phone to receive e-mail directly which is no different to how you receive mail on your home PC.

I use activesync on an exchange account which has all the benefits you asked for (mail, calendar, tasks, contacts etc.) the downside is that it needs an exchange server at the other end. I use a cloud based solution for my business e-mails as it suits me very well. Home users usually have to use a POP based account if on Windows. Just remember to check the option to leave the messages on the server once you get them on your phone or you won't be able to subsequently download them to PC.

4. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

i think you should just for the experience. Its next on my list. I've done Domain controller and citrix farm already.

5. JasonC

JasonC Well-Known Member

As stueyboy says, just set your phone up to receive emails like your PC does, no need for syncing.

As for cloud computing... I could never go back to having everything stored locally now! for a start, your PC has no where near the security that Google has, they also have backups of backups of backups of all your data, far more than what you could achieve easily. I used to store all of my files on external hard disks until one day they went bang and I lost the lot :( You may think storing and keeping your stuff on your PC is safer, but I would think again, its very easy to hack ;)

6. nacatomi

nacatomi Well-Known Member

Get ready to prey to the google gods then ;)

They are easy enough to set up initially but buggers when you have any problems.. I'll never forget the day the exchange disk landed on my desk at work and was told to get on with it.

Step one was upgrade from an NT domain to 2003:eek:

7. savsat

savsat New Member This Topic's Starter

All said and done, perhaps I should just bite the bullet and go and use the IMAP solution for Google, and link that with Outlook.

As far as tasks are concerned, I've tried the Google Calendar Sync tool, but it doesn't work with Windows 7 (or any 64bit Outlook). That seems to nearly do the job, but it is clunky. I'd have rather just had a proper Android ActiveSync app to use.

For the time being, I might just do the home exchange build, just for the experience.