HTC Desire - T-mobile Branding??

Last Updated:

1. Brooky

Brooky Member This Topic's Starter

Hi there

I'm new to this site and am about to purchase a HTC Desire on T-Mobile (Contract) from mobilephonesdirect.com

Does any one know -

1 - Is there an 'awful' T-Mobile logo on the case? as i want an unbranded phone

2 - Is the firmware branded like the old T-Mobiles such as icons and apps changed to T-mobile ones? - just want the normal android firmware and no t-mobile logos in the phone.

I'm hoping that someone could help as I'm really hoping they are all unbranded.

Thanks

Advertisement
  2. HYCAET

HYCAET Guest

No markings or branding on the outside of the phone.

From what I can tell, there's only a tiny w'n'w on the internet icon, and there's the myphonebook t-mobile option on the sync screen. Apart from that, I can't spot any branding at all.

Brooky likes this.
  3. Brooky

Brooky Member This Topic's Starter

Cheers HYCAET

where did you get the desire from if you don't mind me asking

4. HYCAET

HYCAET Guest

From the t-mobile highstreet store

5. Dudditz

Dudditz Well-Known Member

I got mine from the T-Mobile website and it's as HYCAET says.

6. rosco1712

rosco1712 Member

I got mine from mobilephonesdirect and there is no branding at all, on the phone or as it starts up. It's sim free (have tried with 02 and orange as well).

Brooky likes this.
  7. JohnnyBravo1000

JohnnyBravo1000 Well-Known Member

I got my Desire direct from T-Mobile and can also confirm it's the same as the chaps above have mentioned.

There is no branding on the phone itself. In terms of software there is the odd T-Mobile related thing, but nothing too major or annoying.

8. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

Yes, these third parties (CPW, phones4U etc) usually supply you with the handset rather than the carrier. They buy in bulk and ship the same unbranded handset to you whatever carrier you choose.

9. sutton

sutton Active Member

Bought mine directly from T-Mobile months ago and cannot recognise one physical thing on the phone that gives it away as being from that carrier. Dunno if the phone is locked or not as I have not tried another sim in it yet.

10. Pryomancer

Pryomancer Well-Known Member

Got mine from the Tmobile website. There's very little branding. A logo on startup, and the lockscreen has the word 't-mobile' in small letters above the clock. Might be some other stuff but it's obviously not that explicit if I can't even remember.

11. acuk

acuk Active Member

I got my Desire from mobilephonesdirect a couple of weeks ago on the T-Mobile contract

My Desire is SIM locked to T-Mobile and there is no branding on the case itself. But on boot up a t-mobile splash screen comes up. On the phone itself you get a w'n'w internet logo.
    That's pretty much it really. Nothing major to be honest.

12. sutton

sutton Active Member

That is true of every carrier. The point that matters is is there any physical branding.

13. Pryomancer

Pryomancer Well-Known Member

Apparently Orange piles on their crap. An 'Orange' branded browser and other stuff. T-Mobile is surprisingly good regarding branding.

14. BlueDan

BlueDan Well-Known Member

Hi

Same question, but for Voda: any branding? (Does anyone know? In particular, from mobilephonesdirect, as they are the cheapest I've found without having to chase redemptions).

Even Vodafone's own forums don't seem to be sure about this - I would have thought not, from a third party supplier but then I saw acuk's post.

Not too fussed about a SIM lock (Voda remove these for free) or case branding, but I won't want to wait around for updates, or to root it because of the warranty.

Thanks.

15. jabtas

jabtas Well-Known Member

Direct from t-mobile for me

You get a splash screen with logo for about 2 secs on booting up, a few ready loaded bookmarks which can be deleted
    Other than that nothing

Intact you would have to physically look for anything t-mobile related, nothing screams out branding

16. jred7469

jred7469 Well-Known Member

I got mine tmob direct also - It wasn't until I read this I even realised the internet logo had w'n'w on it!! I use dolphin HD2 instead of the stock browser though