HTC Desire Tips & Tricks [READ ME]

1. wisewood

wisewood Active Member

If you go into settings then security you can activate the pattern lock. That will then require slide-to-unlock and then you have to draw a specific pattern on a grid of 9 dots to unlock the phone. It gets a bit tedious sometimes but choose something simple with a direction change and it should solve your problem.
  2. videonastie

videonastie Well-Known Member

Just installed the Gallery app & the camera now works fine.

Only problem is I can't delete or merge photos into folders?
  3. rmhiggins

rmhiggins New Member

Hi there, all the above very informative but I'm trying to find an answer to this question......

Does the track ball on the HTC Desire light up like it does on the HTC Hero? If so, where is the setting because I can't find it?

Hopefully someone out there will have the answer.....

Desire, it's the only way to go!

Richard
  4. Roze

Roze Hiding behind a mystery VIP Member

The HTC Desire does not use a trackball but an optical trackpad so you won't have light notification.
    rmhiggins likes this.
  5. baronb

baronb New Member

Hi all. I have a standard Desire and like it alot, the tips here are great.

Does anybody know of a quick way to go from an Exchange appointment in mail to the Calendar. As there is no indication if there is a conflict with an existing accepted meeting at the same time as the new invite.

I also note it does not adjust the meeting time to my timezone in the email so makes it complex to work it out or find the tentitive meeting. Which is also shown as the same color as accepted.

This sounds like a rant but but get alot of meetings set up from the US in the UK.

Any ideas would be great....
  6. Nas_R

Nas_R Member

Wait for the 2.2 update. It has better support for exchange I believe.
  7. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

What he said, exchange support looks to be extremely tight.
  8. trevytrev

trevytrev Well-Known Member

Sorry to post this here but it's been bothering me. Do i have to install an app to be able to do Google voice search? everyone says you just long hold the search button and speak but absolutely nothing happens when I do it. Thanks in advance.
  9. junkiepilot

junkiepilot Well-Known Member

It's in the first post on this thread mate. Working well.
    trevytrev likes this.
  10. Si Pie

Si Pie Well-Known Member

It's only taken me a few weeks to realise that if you hold down the home key for a few seconds and it brings up a list of 6 most recently visited apps/menus

Also I've started to use the search button when in my apps list as the number of apps I have has grown and it really is useful.
    chopsy, Chrisuk and DesireMe like this.
  11. junkiepilot

junkiepilot Well-Known Member

Just found out you can use google voice search for navigation, just hold down the search key then say "Navigate to *Destination*" and it automatically loads navigation and calculates your route. You can even tell it e.g. if there is a local concert on "Navigate to Oasis Concert" and it will look and find where this is and navigate to it.
    sy534534, Staggers, savanc and 2 others like this.
  12. Dreckly

Dreckly Member

I have been playing around with this today - great fun!
  13. trevytrev

trevytrev Well-Known Member

Thanks mate, totally missed that!
  14. loosecanon

loosecanon Member

One of the things I always wanted to do with my Desire was to use the flashlight as a torch and now I've found how:

Download an app called "beamwidgets", stick it onto your SD card then install it from the file explorer programme of your choice.

It makes your phone into a bright torch :)

and it works much better than simply using the screen
  15. gd123

gd123 Well-Known Member

Or FlashApp which is good too
  16. SL4VE

SL4VE Well-Known Member

LED Desire Light - wins better than all the others like FlashApp (which i been using previously)
    IBAmyB likes this.
  17. no fit state

no fit state Well-Known Member

Good tip :D
    -V-O-Y-A-G-E-R- likes this.
  18. jauhari

jauhari Well-Known Member

I like it too
  19. OFI

OFI Well-Known Member

With the screen locked how are you possibly interacting with the phone at all?

I just tried now and unless I unlock it which isn't easy.. it doesn't do anything :confused:

Having the phone face OUT seriously risks banging the screen against objects. My thigh seems like a softer alternative!
    GSMGuy likes this.
  20. htcs

htcs New Member

hey ppl.this is my first droid as well and i got the desire.wonderful fon but my fb app is messing up.initially was working but later some null message came up.any fixes?
  21. beyond

beyond Well-Known Member

with comments like this, i keep thinking that when i download an app does the installation file stay on the phone memory too (thus 'wasting' space)?. when i choose to download from the marketplace, it automatically installs straight away without asking me. i assume this is the case for everyone else?

is the quoted file size in the marketplace inclusive of the installation files or just the installer etc?

sorry if i sound confusing!
  22. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

whenb you download an app not via the market, then once its installed you can delete the file you downloaded, same as how windows works.

The market app size is the size once installed
    beyond likes this.
  23. gav28uk

gav28uk Active Member

Here's a tip about charging your Desire using the in-car cigarette lighter socket together with a USB lead. If you find that your Desire isn't charging correctly and even worse losing charge whilst plugged in, check out this thread http://androidforums.com/htc-desire/75062-charging-usb-ac-differences.html

You may be using a USB socket that will only allow up to 5v 500mh output. You need a USB socket that can provide 5v 1000ma (1amp). The above thread will reveal all you need to know, bottom line, the two data pins on the car USB socket need to be shorted out, for the Desire to believe it has an AC charge and therefore draw 1Amp.
    doad13 and -V-O-Y-A-G-E-R- like this.
  24. Pojken

Pojken Well-Known Member

Late reply, sorry. OFI, the issue is when you get a phone call or an alarm goes off. That "wakes" the phone. That brings up the lock screen with the option to dismiss or snooze (or reject).

So, test it out by setting an alarm, calendar reminder or having someone call you. Or simply just turn it on to the lock screen. Then, do an actual palm mash on it - put your hand on the face and then move just a little to simulate it being in your pocket. You'll find that it does unlock rather easily.

Tim
  25. c_man

c_man Well-Known Member

Maybe its already known, but I thought I'd point out that the filepaths aren't that important, its the naming and existence of the folder.

Doesn't matter where the Notifications folder sits, as long as there is one, the SMS app will look at it. :)
    -V-O-Y-A-G-E-R- likes this.